New to Vinyl and VPI HW-19 Jr
Oct 6, 2002 at 3:17 AM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds

Gonna go look for some LPs this weekend and spend whatever I have left on them. I guess that'll be my main goal for awhile.

Now that's a well-spent weekend. . . .

If you're buying second-hand vinyl, I would strongly suggest getting a record cleaning machine when you can afford one. They make a huge different in sound quality (the improvements are not minor) and significantly reduce the noise floor. Audio Advisor sells a basic, manual one for $199 called the Record Doctor II. I have one and, while manual, works perfectly. You can find it here. If you can't swing it right now, I second (or is it third?) the Orbitrac 2.

You've made a great choice with the VPI. I had the 19 a number of years ago. It was a great 'table. I regret selling it.

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:12 AM Post #18 of 32
Darkclouds,

I have set-up the VPI and took some pics before I shipped it off.I hate imagestation and am having trouble posting the pics.Anyway the guy decided on a high output Grado Platinum, which sounds amazing, over the Dyanvector.I used the Cone feet to set up and level the table and most of the adjustments will be maintained during shipping(with the exception of tracking force) as long as the platter is level.Those feet are available in a threaded version which screws into the holed formerly occupied by the original equipment rubber feet.I always use them with pucks and they look stunning in the gold or black chrome finish.Hey,get a new belt while you are at it if that table was not already equipped with one.Those VPI belts do not last as long as they claim and that powder is rediculous.

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:27 AM Post #19 of 32
Hey try this Turntable Isolation base .I bought one earlier this year and it worked great.it is butt-ugly and the finish work is not nearly as nice as that pic but it works very,very well and is as easy to use as he claims.I use it on a table located in my bedroom
wink.gif
,preloaded with 50 pounds of lead shot to lower the vibration frequency.It's the gem.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:08 AM Post #20 of 32
Hey Darkclouds!,

Nice turntable! If you have a good shop in the area, you might want to have them set it up the first time. If they have a good set up person like Tuberoller, you can have them talk you through it. It is also much easier for you to tweak it yourself once it has been set up properly.

About 3 issues back, Stereophile had a detailed setup guide with pictures.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 7:27 AM Post #21 of 32
Tim: Thanks for the offer, but I've gotten one phono from Hirsch. And I'm considering the Seduction along with the Foreplay (maybe). I believe the LP12 would be too much. I think I've ante'd up enough :) (I was considering an MMF 2.1 at the start).

FCJ: I'll be picking up and orbitrac 2 for now. So far, the local shops have very slim pickings in way of records. I was actually amazed at how many rap and hip hop records they have at one place. Didn't realize they even produce them.

Tuberoller: Those cones looks perfect for my needs. Thanks :wink:
And I'm surprised that you pointed me toward that isolation base cause I was actually considering it when I spotted it on audiogon.

Hey daycart! :)
Regretably, I don't know of a good shop in my area. But I figured I'll try it out myself. It'll be a good learning experience. By the way, that's one heck of a turntable you have there. You should put a picture of that up for everyone to drool.

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:01 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
Hey try this Turntable Isolation base .I bought one earlier this year and it worked great.it is butt-ugly and the finish work is not nearly as nice as that pic but it works very,very well and is as easy to use as he claims.I use it on a table located in my bedroom
wink.gif
,preloaded with 50 pounds of lead shot to lower the vibration frequency.It's the gem.

It also looks like they sell something called the "AURAL THRILLS AUDIO CHROME AXIOM INTERCONNECT." Has anyone ever tried one?

Oct 6, 2002 at 9:27 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by FCJ
It also looks like they sell something called the "AURAL THRILLS AUDIO CHROME AXIOM INTERCONNECT." Has anyone ever tried one?

I tried his interconnects.They sound pretty good but I ended up giving them away to someone,I can't remember.He has a return policy that he honors very well so it won't cost you anything to try them out.sorry to crap on this thread.

Oct 6, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #24 of 32
darkclouds,

One other thing I would recommend--get a carbon-fiber cleaning brush, such as Audioquest, Hunt, or Decca. They all dry clean and do a good job in-between deep cleaning (such as the Orbitrac--good choice. Get extra pads, though--they do get dirty, especially with used vinyl).

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #25 of 32
Finally!!!
My table arrived. Unfortunately, the cover is cracked eventhough everything seems to have been packed perfectly. Claim has been sent to UPS.

Anyways, I tried setting up the table with only the Shure stylus gauge and leveler. The rest of my tools have not arrived yet. Also previous owner have set everything up before shipping. But considering what happened to the dustcover, everything may be off by a mile.

First listen... lots of crackle and pops!!! Is that to be expected? These records are not new and have not been washed. Will washing them remove alot of the crackle and pops? Gonna try and order some new reissues from music direct.

The sound... quite different from cds and even sacds. I'm not sure what it is yet. Seems to be "smoother"? More fluid? It definitely doesn't have that sharpness, that edge, found on cds. Not quite sure about the soundstage yet, comparably. I may just really like this new old format. Also, I can't see myself using headphones with vinyls, unless the newer ones lack the crackles, and especially the pops.

More comments and especially suggestions/advice are very welcome.

So far, I've gotten my hands on 5 albums, 7 discs total and 38 more coming in the mail. I guess I'm committing myself to this.

At the moment, Dave Brubeck Quartet, Newport 1958
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #26 of 32
Alas, yes. The crackles and pops are typical of used records, particularly older ones. A good cleaner will get rid of a lot of the noises, but not all. An album that has been kept clean can be dead quiet, if the pressing was good.

The Phonobox is a starter amp. Eventually, when you upgrade to a better phono amp, you'll hear much better high end extension.

Welcome to music without digititis. It can sometimes be a lot of work, but IMO the rewards are worth it.

Oct 10, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #27 of 32
You won't get the best results with dirty records.Be patient in your wait for the set-up tools and never trust any set-up that has been shipped across the country.

I have found that during VTA and VTF adjustments that a provision to raise and lower the platter is helpful.The VPI HW-19 does allow for such an adjustment via the notch in the bottom of the platter bearing.The platter can be raised and lowered if the arm does not allow for a VTA adjustment of if you have reached the adjustment limits of the arm.I also recommend a cross check level instead of the bubble level on large tables like your VPI.Again, I level the platter instead of the plinth.I would also make sure that after adjustments the arm is not contacting the dustcover in any way.

Let us all know how things turn out.

Oct 10, 2002 at 9:52 AM Post #28 of 32
Regarding the dustcover, I've always found that the sound improved if I left the dustcover open when I was playing a record. Keep it closed when not in use, but open when playing.

A good cleaning should reduce some (most likely not all--it depends on how well the record was cared for before you got it) of the noise.

Keep enjoying!

Edit: One last one. Do you have a stylus cleaner yet? I would recommend the Last Stylus cleaner. But please remember to use it sparingly (the fluid, that is, not the brush).

Oct 10, 2002 at 11:58 AM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally posted by darkclouds

First listen... lots of crackle and pops!!! Is that to be expected? These records are not new and have not been washed. Will washing them remove alot of the crackle and pops? Gonna try and order some new reissues from music direct.

As it has been said before... clean, clean, clean - I collect a lot of classical music pressings from the 1960ies and 1970ies - sometimes these records require more than one cleaning, but it makes a big difference. There is a lot of stuff growing in those grooves over time, including parasitic spore-producing organisms....
mad.gif

Once an old record has been cleaned properly it should be placed into a new inner liner. Old paper liners will just contaminate the cleaned record again....
frown.gif

Another positive experience I've had was switching from an elliptical stylus to an LC or MicroRidge stylus - it makes those dredded Orville Redenbacher pressings more quiet and palatable - and at the same time provides more info. This is due to the stylus cut, where side radius is decreased and front radius is maximized... something worth looking into down the road....
biggrin.gif

Hope this helps,

~Michael~

Oct 10, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #30 of 32
Finally, got to one side of one disc that there was actully no pops, but some static/crackles. So much better without the pops
eek.gif

I did pick up a vpi cross check level, red thingy with two separate tubes of liquid join in a " T ". Still waiting for the carbon brush and orbitrac 2 cleaner along with cart aligning tool.

Looks like I'll need to pick up the Last Stylus cleaner... anything else?

Also, I've noticed that listening to records is a whole lot different from cds. I'm not just talking about the sound. It seems to be more ritualistic. I guess it's because you have to do a few things before the actual audition. And that makes me feel a little more involved... rather than tossing 5 discs into my 555es carousel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back