New To The Site, Old To The Game.... Need Recommendations!
Dec 2, 2008 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

troubleshooter

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been chewing on what to buy the next time around in the way of a new set of headphones which led me here a few days ago when doing a search on Google. At age 49 I've owned more sets than I likely remember.... Technics, (yeah, that shows my age!) Denon, AKG, and several different sets of Sennheisers; 497s (I think?) 560's and these days a set of 212Pros and a set of 120's for TV wireless TV listening.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of audiophile phones for myself for Christmas and just haven't pinned down what I want to buy yet. I'd been seriously thinking about a set of Sennheiser 595s but I'm also pondering a set of 600s... thats the highest I'll allow my budget to go and even then I'll be looking to get used or dirt cheap retail. Would love some recommendations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem is I live 100 miles from any hi end audio store (Bedford, Indiana, about 20 miles south of Bloomington and the IU campus) , so I might have to do some driving. Any suggestions on where I can go to do some auditioning?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 9
theres enough info on this site to help you make an educated guess as to what would suit you without having to go out of the way to an audio store. I would suggest that you read up, use search and pin it down to 2 or 3 favorites. Order the first one online from a store with a return policy, give it a shot, if it so happens that you don't like them at all, return it and try the second one.

In most cases you should be happy with your first HP if you have done enough research on them. Since there are hundreds and thousands of opinions on this site, there should be one HP that stands out based on your research for your particular needs and requirements.

Dec 2, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 9
Try headroom.com ; I'm kinda pissed that I didn't get the chance to buy the 601 for $85 from them, but buying online sounds very convenient for you. You can audition the headphone for 3 weeks - 1month then return them if you don't like it. Very good customer service.

If you want to pull the trigger without auditioning the headphone first, but with cheaper price, try searching eBay from live.com, then pay with paypal. There's the 30% cash back.

I've never heard old-school headphones. I wonder how it sounds compared to these days' models.

Dec 3, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 9
465 - some of the old ones are good. I've been liking the HD-414 a lot and the DT48 is a classic.

To the OP, I think the HD-600 is a great headphone. If you've liked Sennheisers before, it would be a safe bet. You should be able to get a new one for $300, but see if you can get a discount through live.com. They also turn up used between $200-$225.

You might also be interested in picking up an amp. There's a guy on eBay selling Creek OBH-11 amps for about $80 each. Not the best amp, but I started with one and got a lot of enjoyment from it. They usually sell for over $200.

Dec 3, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try headroom.com ;

x2. Great place to learn about your options, then come back here and search based on your findings. It's how I started, and still do this when looking at some new options so I at least have a few cans to consider and prices to start with.
Folks here are quite helpful once you've narrowed your search.

Dec 3, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by troubleshooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

I've been chewing on what to buy the next time around in the way of a new set of headphones which led me here a few days ago when doing a search on Google. At age 49 I've owned more sets than I likely remember.... Technics, (yeah, that shows my age!) Denon, AKG, and several different sets of Sennheisers; 497s (I think?) 560's and these days a set of 212Pros and a set of 120's for TV wireless TV listening.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy a set of audiophile phones for myself for Christmas and just haven't pinned down what I want to buy yet. I'd been seriously thinking about a set of Sennheiser 595s but I'm also pondering a set of 600s... thats the highest I'll allow my budget to go and even then I'll be looking to get used or dirt cheap retail. Would love some recommendations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Problem is I live 100 miles from any hi end audio store (Bedford, Indiana, about 20 miles south of Bloomington and the IU campus) , so I might have to do some driving. Any suggestions on where I can go to do some auditioning?

Thanks in advance!

Save your self a few dollers, get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

Dec 3, 2008 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tacoboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Save your self a few dollers, get the Audio Technica ATH-AD700s.

After reading some threads on the site and checking their pricing I have to say I'm seriously considering a pair of the AD700s. People seem to really like the fit and the soundstage. Hell, at $100ish they're pretty much an impulse buy compared to the 600s.... then again if I'm going to wind up wanting to buy a set of Sennheiser 595s or 600s in six months because I'm still wanting the Senn sq they bring to the table, it would make more sense to bite the bullet the first time around.

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never heard old-school headphones. I wonder how it sounds compared to these days' models.

Put it this way.... old fellas such as myself wouldn't continue to be looking for good headphones if the old school audiophile cans weren't a wonderful experience!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back