New to the IEM game. Best < $150
Nov 3, 2009 at 7:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

LG24

New Head-Fier
Currently I've got some Sony MDR EX-75's because at the time of purchase, I knew I wanted in-ear style headphones and new nothing at all about them. Now I'm looking to take a definite step up and am a little lost where to go. I know I want some more bass than I currently have but don't really listen to rap/hip hop so I've eliminated the Turbines... I think. I mostly listen to rock/alternative music and am looking for the most balanced set of headphones I can come across. So far the ones that really caught my eye were the Etymotic HF5's. They seem to have gotten good audio reviews and the sound isolation is a plus but it seems as though they are lacking when it comes to bass. I'm trying to keep it under 150 but if there's something around 160-170 or so that's worth the upgrade, I'm all ears. I know you boys have plenty of good suggestions so lets hear em. Thanks for all the help,
Grant

Nov 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #2 of 20
i'd recommend the westone 1, sleek audio sa1 or klipsch s4. but i'm no pro either. i have the turbines and their pretty good but not really for rock, since bass and treble are quite loud compared to the mids so vocals are really low, but if you change the equalizer they're okay. but the 3 above are better in sound quality, i just really wanted them cause they looked cool
icon10.gif

cheers

Nov 3, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 20
If you are looking for more bass, the HF5 definitely won't cut it.

Nov 3, 2009 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 20
If you're in the US, Ultimate Electronics has the Klipsch X10 right now for $130. They are definitely competitive in that price range, as they are originally a $399 retail earphone and IMO are on par with their competition.

The Klipsch X5 are even a little cheaper.

The X10 and X5 are also among the most comfortable in-ears on the market. They are tiny, and a thin barrel shape with gel tips.

Nov 3, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're in the US, Ultimate Electronics has the Klipsch X10 right now for $130. They are definitely competitive in that price range, as they are originally a $399 retail earphone and IMO are on par with their competition.

The Klipsch X5 are even a little cheaper.

The X10 and X5 are also among the most comfortable in-ears on the market. They are tiny, and a thin barrel shape with gel tips.

Lord, 130 bucks! That's a steal! I wish I had access to Ultimate Electronics... Got a pair of Klipsch S2 and I find them great if lacking a bit of lustre in the mid and high freqs, but not disappointing in the bass section (and I come from JVC Marshmallows!) . 130 bucks... gimme two! (Why on earth don't they have intl delivery
frown.gif
?) Concerning the Etys... Gave the HF2 (same beast as the 5rs but with mic) a go and returned them right away. Very lacking in the bass dept, very weak sound for me.

If I were you and had access to the X10's...would buy those. If your short on dough... get the S2/X1's.

Crank it up!

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by nachodlv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lord, 130 bucks! That's a steal! I wish I had access to Ultimate Electronics... Got a pair of Klipsch S2 and I find them great if lacking a bit of lustre in the mid and high freqs, but not disappointing in the bass section (and I come from JVC Marshmallows!) . 130 bucks... gimme two! (Why on earth don't they have intl delivery
frown.gif
?) Concerning the Etys... Gave the HF2 (same beast as the 5rs but with mic) a go and returned them right away. Very lacking in the bass dept, very weak sound for me.

If I were you and had access to the X10's...would buy those. If your short on dough... get the S2/X1's.

Crank it up!

Hows the noise isolation on the X10's compared to the HF5's? Starting to make me think the X10's are the way to go

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #11 of 20
Also, could they possibly be too bass-y for me like the turbines or do they cover the mids/highs just as well. Thanks for all the help its hard to figure out which are the right pair without a way of trying them out

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by LG24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hows the noise isolation on the X10's compared to the HF5's? Starting to make me think the X10's are the way to go

Quote:

Originally Posted by LG24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, could they possibly be too bass-y for me like the turbines or do they cover the mids/highs just as well. Thanks for all the help its hard to figure out which are the right pair without a way of trying them out

Because the X10's are so small, the isolation depends completely on what tips you use. The gels isolate pretty well. I believe the Ety tips will fit on the X10's as well. An Ety triple flange would give you the best isolation, though I'm not sure what it would do to the sound signature.

The X10 is a pretty bassy earphone. It does have pretty good mids and highs as well, but there is a bit of bass boost. The highs roll off around 16K, so they aren't as extended as something like a W3. But they have good enough highs to not feel constrained.

The X5, from what I've read, is similar to the X10 with less bass and more treble. So if you want something that leans more towards the treble side, you might consider the X5's as well.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

I thought Ultimate wouldn't ship anything and buying from them required going to a retail store. Did you purchase your X10 from them?

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljokerl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought Ultimate wouldn't ship anything and buying from them required going to a retail store. Did you purchase your X10 from them?

I didn't get mine from them. I got them off Amazon Marketplace a few months ago. But they have about 5 locations in Denver, one of which is very close to where I live.

I am considering getting some X5's from them. I've wanted to try the X5's, and have custom tips that will fit, which I used with the X10's before I sent them to Unique Melody.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

I didn't get mine from them. I got them off Amazon Marketplace a few months ago. But they have about 5 locations in Denver, one of which is very close to where I live.

So basically the price you cited is useless to anyone who does not live in the vicinity of the two dozen or so Ultimate locations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back