New to the DSLR Game... Sony a200!
Apr 18, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Isao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Home : EMU 0404usb I WANT TO SELL THIS...but not enough posts.

Yeah, annoying that. 50 posts is quite a lot.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #17 of 21
Go through the manual and try out one feature per day/week/whatever. Play with it exclusively until you get the hang of it. They'll eventually sink in and become second nature.

Also, get a big memory card and keep shooting. If it seems interesting at all, shoot it. Then shoot from a different location, angle or whatever interests you. Take lots and lots of photos. Digital is a godsend for that. I used to be cautious with 35mm, shooting 36-72 shots a day at most. Now, I think nothing of plowing through 500-600 photos in a day, sometimes as much as 1,000.

You have good lenses. I'm not familiar with the Sony lineup, but you might want to consider a prime lens. I have a f/1.8 50mm prime Nikon that gets a lot of use. Nice little lens and it produces sharp, natural photos.

Did you get a flash with your kit? If not, it's worth investing in an external one. Internal flashes are OK in a pinch, but usually not powerful enough. Indoors, I like to bounce light off ceilings and walls and outside, it makes for good fill.

Get a spare battery, too.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #18 of 21
Internal flash, no external just yet... And my memory cards will be hurting...especially rockin' the continuous shooting mode at baseball games! :-x

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 21
I just upgraded from a D50 (6meg 2.5fps) to a D200 (10meg 5fps). I didn't fill up my 2gb card before... but now I find I can almost fill up a 4gb card shooting my sons lacrosse game (Capacity is 1700 shots in large basic jpeg) . I easily shoot 1200 shots in about a 1 hour game.....

Isao

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #20 of 21
I just bought the A200 as well. Just took some trial shots, will be doing some travelling soon enough, hoping to fill up my 4gb card as many times as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

I moved from the Canon S3 IS to my first DSLR. I didnt go for the twin lens kit since I plan on getting a prime and an aftermarket zoom lens.

Here are some pics I took :
Flickr: Photos & Video from jilgiljongiljing

Also, to the OP, in case you are new to the whole DSLR thing, like me, get this book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Its a terrific book and I have learnt a lot from it, and am not afraid to use the Manual mode in my camera now :p

Apr 18, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #21 of 21
wow jilgiljongiljing...excellent pics! Thanks for book recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back