New to the "Audiophile" world.(Choosing the right headphones)
May 11, 2010 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

3pidemic

New Head-Fier
As a person who just happen to be doing research for the best headphones;I stumbled upon this website.
I did a little reasearch on different headphones and how one can get the best sound quality out of an iTouch.

I came to an understanding that I tend to do my studying in the outdoors and rather not spend much time inside my house/dorm.

(I was planning on buying "Monster beats by Dr. Dre" but after reading around the forums on how that there are better headphones out there with a better reasonable price).Reason I was planning on buying the headphones was because they did not require an amp to give the quality of sound they gave...However,i'm now willing to buy a portable amp for my itouch.

To put it simple:Looking for better-awesome sounding headphones

Price range:300$-and below
Usage:Portable for my itouch,i spend my time outdoors.
Equipment:I'm willing to buy an amp for my itouch to achieve the High Quality sounding music.(However,i'm trying to keep the headphones and amp under 300$ combined lol )
Type of music: I listen to Rock,indie rock,and some occasional rap and R&B.(Example bands: "RED,Fair,Wavorly,Copeland,Deas vail,The classic crime,one republic etc.)

Amazing website,with unbounded resource.thanks for any imput given
smile_phones.gif

May 11, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 20
rock music outdoors with itouch?
hmmmm... that leaves grado headphones out of the equation.  as well as other fully open and full-size models.

hmmm...  i think your best option is to forego the amp altogether, and focus on phones that are portable, very efficient, and can be driven by the itouch.

not sure if everyone else here would agree with me on that.

the audio technica ath-esw9 is, quite simply, one of the most commonly recommended portable closed headphones here.  and, it is sexy to boot.
and, according to what i've read, is pretty efficient, and can sound quite good straight from portable devices such as ipods and itouches.
(that doesn't mean it won't improve with amping)

if other folks catch wind of your inquiry, you may get several recommendations to look into IEMs (in ear monitors).  so look into those and see if that might suit your needs as well....

good luck!
atsmile.gif

May 11, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 20
IEMs do sound like they fit your situation better but if you need portable cans... I'll throw in the Sennheiser HD25-1 II in the mix. There are fake ESW9's out there so be careful. FWIR they would be a great can for your purposes though.

May 11, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 20

Quote:
hmmmm... that leaves grado headphones out of the equation.  as well as other fully open and full-size models.

hmmm...  i think your best option is to forego the amp altogether, and focus on phones that are portable, very efficient, and can be driven by the itouch.

the audio technica ath-esw9 is, quite simply, one of the most commonly recommended portable closed headphones here.  and, it is sexy to boot.
and, according to what i've read, is pretty efficient, and can sound quite good straight from portable devices such as ipods and itouches.

if other folks catch wind of your inquiry, you may get several recommendations to look into IEMs (in ear monitors).  so look into those and see if that might suit your needs as well....

good luck!
atsmile.gif

This.

May 11, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #5 of 20
You mention outdoors, but does this mean that you don't want the sound leaking out? I figure that since you mentioned a dorm, you would probably want a closed type. A lot of people would suggest to you the D2000. Most people like them, but I didn't at all.

A lot of people are going to be calling me crazy for this suggestion. Get the Sennheiser HD-600 (open) and the NuForce Mobile. It comes up to $400 total without shipping. This is the best sound you can get that's somewhat portable. This really is kind of a bad idea due to the size of the headphones though.

The NuForce Mobile + Ipod Touh can actually power the HD-600 quite well believe it or not! I actually find that I actually can not turn the volume up to 100% with this combination. The NuForce is also tiny and is a great combination with one of those leather flip cases with the cover. I know, it's not making full use of the HD-600, but you can upgrade to a better desktop amp later. This is the absolute best sound you can get that's somewhat portable. Of course, this probably won't be good for you, since i'm a bit weird. I actually think it sounds great, so if anyone hasn't tried it with your own ears, please don't tell me i'm stupid for even suggesting this. It's not as bad as you'd think! I feel dumb even suggesting this. Strangely this combination wouldn't work well with the AKG 702 that I tried.

BTW I once saw this old guy that carried around this HUGE  two speaker stereo system with some old headphones and a guitar strap. I don't think i'd go that far.

My other suggestion without an amp is the Audio Technica M50. They have good bass, but the sound isn't as good as the Shure SRH-840. I find it hard to suggest the 840 sometimes for portable use due to them being so huge and looking awkward. You'd get a lot of stares, but some people don't care!

EDIT: Wow, i'm an idiot, I read that as $400 combined. You didn't change it on me did you?
smile.gif
Just ignore this post or check out the M50's. You might also like the D2000s from Denon.

May 11, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 20

Quote:

good luck!
atsmile.gif

Haha,I get your meaning...by outdoors i mean bus rides,sitting at a coffee shop,and studying outside on my campus. So not too much rough houseing. However,the audio techinica ath-esw9 seem to be great from the way you describe them :)

@NapalmK;  I've worn a set of IEM's , I guess I just prefer the feeling of over-ear portabale cans than sticking something into my ear :p

May 11, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 20

What about Iems?
Get the Etymotic ER-4P's. Big sounstage and good bass. Perfect for iTouch. 

BTW... welcome to headfi, and sorry about your wallet....Get the Etymotic ER-4P's. Big sounstage and good bass. Perfect for iTouch. 

BTW... welcome to headfi, and sorry about your wallet....What about Iems?
Get the Etymotic ER-4P's. Big sounstage and good bass. Perfect for iTouch. 

BTW... welcome to headfi, and sorry about your wallet....

May 12, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 20
For some odd reason,my post didn't come up yesterday.

@TheWuss : I'm willing to give the Audio techinica's you suggested,but how is the sound quality,mids and highs. Oh and I get your meaning about "Outdoors". To put it simple,I ussually contain everything in my bag pack;so i dont plan on useing the headphones on the move per-say,but rather in place such as bus-rides,sitting at a coffee shop. Studying outside on a bench etc.So not as much rough housing as some would say.

@tdockweiler : haha,nope i never changed the cost :wink: . To be honest,i'm only willing to spend about 320$ and below. You suggested the "Denon D2000's,how is the overall sound quality compared to other headphones?

@Desktophifi : I've had at least one pair of IEM's,i guess i just prefer the soft feeling of over-ear headphones than sticking something into them :p

By the way,How are the Audio-techinica ATH-A900 compared to the ones you all have suggested?

May 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 20
ESW9 is a fun headphone with a little bit of thumping messiness on the bass side.  In my experience, mids are nice while treble is clear and sharp.  I think they're fine cans for the genres you listed.

EDIT- I think I said "fun" too much, so edited one of 'em out.

May 12, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Oh wow,nice description.

So far from what you all have suggested are either.

ESW9
ATH-A900
Or the Denon D2000

Debating between these two. However,i'm still a bit iffy on the ATH-A900's.

May 12, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #11 of 20
If you need some isolation like it sounds, I would not go with the D2000. While I own them and thoroughly enjoy them, they do not isolate particularly well. It's not terrible but it is apparent. For instance, I can hear my roommates talking when I'm listening to music but it's faint and I can't quite make out what they are saying so I can generally tune it out. They are also not what I would consider portable. I've thought of taking mine to the library a couple of times but they are too big and I feel like I need to be careful with them so they don't break.

May 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:

Debating between these two. However,i'm still a bit iffy on the ATH-A900's.

While I like my ATH-A700's when I'm on my computer, if you are going to spend your time outdoors they're not ideal.  They're huge.  And they may make you sweat a little with the pads, which I can't comment on since I used them either in the office or while at home where it was relatively cool.  I've also switched out the pads on mine.  That said, they have a fun punchy sound, some say a little veil in the mids, are easy as heck to drive, and they're about the most comfortable pair of headphones I've tried.

As others are mentioning, the M50's get good impressions from folks around here.  I personally wasn't too thrilled with the D2000's I heard briefly, but that was in a fairly noisy area and I think the phones were modded.

May 12, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #14 of 20
M50
Ultrasone HiFi 680
Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro

May 12, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 20
also...  since it's bound to be brought up any way.  (even though they aren't out yet...) 

beyerdynamic t50p.

caveat:  no one has reviewed them yet.

however, the risk can't be all that great, as they are beyerdynamic, after all.  and, they continue the tesla driver technology that is present in the T1.
besides, they look absolutely amazing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back