New to the "Audiophile" Market
Feb 18, 2009 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Romanian

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm kind of sick of these $10 JVC Jellez I've been using for months of end, having them break, buying another pair, etc. I've decided to dip my toes into the world of audiophilia and get a new pair of headphones, preferably some circumauraul headphones which I can take around town with me on the public transit, to school, to the library, etc.

What I'm looking for is something like the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headset. I realize this isn't anything even close to an audiophile's setup, but it's a heck of a lot better than what I've ever used. It's got nice bass, it's comfortable, and just all-around performs well.

If anyone could recommend headphones good for listening to mteal/rock/trance with a fair amount of bass (I would say I'm a basshead, but I'm not sure how far that term carries in the world of headphones over $40), and around the price of $120, I'd kindly take any suggestions. I think they would have to be closed if I want them to go around town as much as I do. Sound isolation would also be a big plus.

After looking on the recommended phones page, I've scoped out the Equation Audio RP-21/22x as potentials. Does anyone know if there is any difference between these two to justify the $20 difference? The EA webpage says that the 22x have more bass or something, but is this just some "scam", for lack of a better term?

Thanks in advance,
Romanian

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 10
Are you looking for full size headphones or earbuds/IEMs?

If its the former, then this is prolly not the right forum. However, you might want to try the Grado SR60 - although I'm not sure it'd satisfy a basshead.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by quadmaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you looking for full size headphones or earbuds/IEMs?

If its the former, then this is prolly not the right forum. However, you might want to try the Grado SR60 - although I'm not sure it'd satisfy a basshead.

It definitely wouldn't. It's middy and trebly for the most part... bass is there but not enough for people craving heavy bass. I believe low end Denons would be a good bet for good bass response (1001?)

Feb 18, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #5 of 10
Remember, the Creative Aurvana Live is basically 99.5% of a Denon D1001 so if you find the Creative Aurvana Live cheaper, get that as that basically a Denon D1001.

Remember, it's the LIVE, not other Creative Aurvana labeled headphones.

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:13 AM Post #6 of 10
Open Portable - Koss KSC75 lean to the forward or brighter side but still have good balance of bass midrange and high end detail. All around winner.

Open Portable - Senn PX100 Deep Bass but you might consider it bloated. Highs can seem rolled off or recessed. Still makes a good Rock headphone and very comfortable.

IEM - Bass heavy in this price range Hmmmmm no idea.

My experience ~$100 mark is limited to more of the Ety Sound, ER6, iM716, which is not for the Bass head. They are very acurate and detailed.

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 10
I posted in this section because I assumed "portable headphones" would be what I wanted, not full-sized -- I want to be able to travel with these around my neck or on my head, not be stuck at home with them. To be honest, if any IEMs beat out headphones, I wouldn't mind taking a pair of small buds. I would, however, like to keep away from open headphones, partially due to the wet weather and the possibility for the phones to get ruined.

Some of the recommendations are for headphones that are $25. I know that price != quality, but I don't want to make the jump from a $20 pair of RadioShack headphones to a $25 pair of some other brand and be disappointed that the latter sounds just a tad better than the RadioShack ones. Would the headphones mentioned above be considered "high quality" or just "mediocre acceptability"?

While I do like bass, I don't want it the treble to be overwhelmed; I find that this is sometimes the case with the Microsoft headset (I feel a damned fool to compare with this thing I got for free from Club Live! that one time). My price range is extremely flexible.

Any other suggestions?

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:42 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some of the recommendations are for headphones that are $25. I know that price != quality, but I don't want to make the jump from a $20 pair of RadioShack headphones to a $25 pair of some other brand and be disappointed that the latter sounds just a tad better than the RadioShack ones. Would the headphones mentioned above be considered "high quality" or just "mediocre acceptability"?

You won't be reaching anything incredible on your budget but here are a few suggestions that will certainly sound great. I have owned the three I will recommend for this purpose, other than these you will have to find other peoples suggestions. I will also suggest searching around the full size headphone forum for a bit.

Grado SR 60: Not that great for using in public as they leak a lot of noise and doing isolate but they sound absolutely great. Some people have a comfort issue with them though. They won't satisfy a Beryer 770 bass head but I guess you don't really know how much of a bass head you are till you start trying different headphones out. Oh and if you get these you will probably end up wanting to upgrade. Just sayin'

Next up is the Denon 1001k. These are not open and do not leak sound very much at all but do not isolate as well. They are very comfortable but a bit awkward around the neck (unlike the SR60). Good balance for the price but not terribly fun IMO.

Then the Koss KSC 75. Price is no indication of quality in all audio and these certainly prove this. Wuarter/kramer mod these and you will NOT beat the sound for the price. Easy to carry around and come with a lifetime warranty. I have about 5 sets lying around that I got on clearance and use them a lot.

I guess I will go ahead and mention the Yuin Pk3's because I have them and love them. A great earbud for the price and they will stop any stock earbud or cheap IEM you can find.

Good luck, welcome to head fi and... sorry about the wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back