!! NEW TO SOLDERING AND STUFF >> Which is the Tip / Ring on this female audio jack?
Jan 5, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #2 of 21
Without a part number the easiest way is to ohm it....
Put your DMM in ohms mode, touch one probe to the tip and the other probe to each one of the solder terminals. When the meter reads zero ohms you found the corresponding terminal. Repeat for the ring and sleeve.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 21
Like i said, i have no experience at all, i don't know what an OHM or what anything is, what i'm trying to do is to learn what to do before i start soldering wires and stuff.

Isn't there a certain "way" that these jacks are made, like a universal template on how they work or something?

by looking at the diagram id say that the one on the left (the fatter one) is the tip.

Jan 5, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 21
Jan 5, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xderek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like i said, i have no experience at all, i don't know what an OHM or what anything is, what i'm trying to do is to learn what to do before i start soldering wires and stuff.

An ohm is a unit of resistance. If there's zero resistance between two of the contacts, that means they are electrically connected and you've matched them. Here's a cheap meter for measuring resistance: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Quote:

Originally Posted by xderek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't there a certain "way" that these jacks are made, like a universal template on how they work or something?

by looking at the diagram id say that the one on the left (the fatter one) is the tip.

The one that sticks out the farthest is probably the tip, next one is the ring, and the shortest tab is probably sleeve (Look at your drawing - T=tip, R=ring, S=sleeve.) But if you want to be 100% sure you should measure the resistance.

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 21
You could easily have found this info on the web.

Tip: Left
Ring: Right
End: Ground

An easy way to remember it is that ring=red=right!

The tip is barrel/Closest connecion is ground and the one left is... left!

Jan 6, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 21
I have another question, what if i want to use a jack that looks like this, one with no tip/ring?

l11.jpg

Quote:

Here is the exact part number on Radioshack or The Source by Circut City ( 2740252 )

where would i solder the red and black wire to?
im guessing the 2 tabs on the sides, but which one on which, and would this work the same as the other jack i showed at the top?

also i was wondering if id be able to buy some extra red/black wire and solder the wires together to extend the wires on the piezo transducer?

Jan 6, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 21
That's a mono jack....so the only hot (+) connection is the entire tip ...have a look at the mono plugs for you guitar and then compare that to your stereo headphone jack...the additional "ring" of the headphone jack is the other channel. Tip R channel,Ring Left channel, shaft is ground common to both.

Mono is simply that, Tip is one channel and the shaft is ground.

Peete.

Jan 6, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 21
ok so what i understand is mono = one channel tip or right...

and my guitar doesnt have any plugs, its an acoustic guitar with no electrical work at all, and i plan on building a Piezo Transducer mic connected to a jack that i can plug a quarter inch cable into. The piezo transducer has a black wire and a red wire... i just need to figure out how to connect these wires to a female jack...

using these parts from radioshack

2740252 -- (1/4") 2-CONDUCTOR JACKS

2730059 -- Piezo Buzzer
2730059l.jpg

---------------
PS: i am going to break open the piezo buzzer casing and take out the piezo transducer, then wire it to the jack.

i just have no idea how to do this, i have found some information on google and youtube however the info i have obtained is very limited, and all the sources i have found wire it a different way so i am uncertain. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #12 of 21
ok, so even though i am using a mono jack will this still work?
with only a tip and ground.

im assuming that the black wire is one channel and the red is another and they be wired to different places..

EDIT:::

okay i just found this and i know its not the same plug i am working with but it uses the same terms and im working with a red wire and a black wire and a mono jack so i think this should work.

I connect the red wire to the tip
and the black wire to the ground aka. sleeve.

XLR-monojack2.gif

is this right?

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #14 of 21
im not using an XLR or a MALE jack i am using

the Piezo Transducer wired to a FEMALE jack. I just used that image as an example cuz it was the only thing i could find showing where the red wire or black wire goes. check, my last post there is more info on the parts i am using in it.

Jan 7, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #15 of 21
I really don't know, but with a non-powered mic, how wrong can you go?
Hook it up with the red wire to tip and black wire to shank(or corresponding positions on female jack).
You can swop the wires later if you want to listen to the difference.

Like I say, with no power involved it doesn't seem to matter much. What is gonna be plugged into the female jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back