!! NEW TO SOLDERING AND STUFF >> Which is the Tip / Ring on this female audio jack?
Jan 7, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #16 of 21
into the female jack is going to be a regular guitar cable, to my amp.

and the piezo transducer is not actually a mic, it just somehow picks up the sound the guitar makes, not sure how it works lol, i just know it does, lol.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #17 of 21
Gotcha.
wink.gif

Let us know more when you get it hooked up, will ya.

Jan 7, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #18 of 21
yeah i will let you know once its done, but i was searching around and found this great kill switch idea that i'd like to incorporate.

i would like to add a momentary on/off switch to cut the signal from the guitar to the amp, ive found some information on how to do this but mostly all of them use TRS (or stereo) plugs with a tip and a ring and i was wondering how i would wire this switch into female jack thing...

here is a picture if you need more information just ask.

wirekr5.jpg

here is the part numbers on radio shack of everything i will be using

2751566 = momentary on off switch
2740252 = female 1/4 mono jack
2062397 = piezo buzzer ( i will remove the piezo transducer from it)

anyways ive seen youtube videso where they wire the tip and ring of there guitar cables to the momentary button and this somehow works to mute the signal could someone explain this too me?

edit okay, i added the switch to the drawing, and im not exactly sure how this switch works but im assuming theres an input and output little tab on it so would attaching the wires to one tab and then connecting the other tab to the jack work, take a look at my picture here...

swtichinri3.jpg

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by liltehood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Pete
I thaught ring = right = red???

hood

Your probably right...it's been a while since I looked that up or have worked on any 1/4 inch stereo jacks...in any case the tip and ring represent the 2 channels in a stereo jack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Peete.

Jan 7, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #20 of 21
The more stuff you add to the circuit the worse the sound quality gets (not always true so...)....try it with and without the kill switch and see if there is any loss of signal quality and or level. Passive circuits can be easily compromised since the level of the pick up output is very very low. That being said the wiring diagram looks fine and as always experiment a little...might be kinda cool having a kill switch...ala Bucket Head and his Gibby Les Paul Custom
smily_headphones1.gif
))

Peete.

PS Only the RED wire is connected to the kill switch. You'll need to add another section of wire from it's output tab to the jack. The BLK goes straight to the jack gnd terminal.

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 21
yeah i started a new thread, thought id be able to find more help with a title that said having problems with SWITCH rather than this thread.

anyways here is the new diagram, i have tried it today, it works pretty good. Haven't soldered it or drilled the hole in my guitar yet but, i put it together with duck tape, gonna finish this project come the weekend.

switchin2ds6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back