New to Miles Davis and Jazz
Nov 21, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #16 of 98
You must noT have many albums from the 50s and 60s.

Nov 21, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 98
I recommend you check out Charles Mingus, Ah Um. I'm new to Jazz too, and haven't listened to all the popular choices yet, but so far I think this piece is my favorite over all. Some tracks you'll enjoy immediately, such as Goodbye Pork Pie Hat - which has been covered many times, and others need a few listens because they're a bit more challenging, but this really is a stand out work in my opinion which I can listen to over and over and over.

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #18 of 98
Why '50s and '60s? Well, the OP asked about discs that were akin to Kind Of Blue, so as much as I'd love to hype contemporary jazz, I think it's better to answer the request than push a personal agenda.

It's interesting, though…personally, I kinda figured A Love Supreme wouldn't be the right Coltrane recommendation…it's a fantastic album (and it might even grow on xinque over time), but it's not the same vibe as Kind Of Blue. Maybe I take these things a bit too seriously, but, boy, would I really like to see folks actually consider what's asked for rather than buzzing in with the same "consensus" albums. Jazz has enough permutations to fit anyone's taste…

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 98
He also specifically mentioned he wanted melodic jazz.

Nov 22, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #20 of 98
Most people new to jazz naturally gravitate to music with a strong melodic line, which is why I wouldn't suggest Coltrane's 'Love Supreme' right-off the hop.  Jazz in the pre-bop era provided identifiable melodies from some of the all-time great musicians.  The OP might take in Ben Webster on Ben Webster meets Oscar Peterson or better yet The Soul of Ben Webster to hear another side of the blues on saxophone.

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #21 of 98
Thanks for all the continued recommends guys!  Have Ben Webster on the way and Coltrane's Crescent, hope to get to everything that's been suggested sooner or later.  Will update with first impressions later in the week.  In the meantime, hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.

beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #22 of 98
Count Basie is great if you like a big band sound.

Nov 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #23 of 98
I have Miles Davis's Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition) and I can't get over the terrible recording quality and airflow in the background, pretty fatiguing.

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #24 of 98
You'd love Glen Gould!

Nov 24, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #25 of 98
Yeah, I felt the same way at first.  It's really noticeable at the beginning of some tracks where it's just a single instrument or two and you can hear it hissing in the background, but if you can get pulled into the music don't really notice it that much after awhile.

Quote:
I have Miles Davis's Kind of Blue (Legacy Edition) and I can't get over the terrible recording quality and airflow in the background, pretty fatiguing.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #26 of 98
What would be the best quality released pressing of "Kind of Blue"?

- Japanese press on Blue ray CD

- Japanese 100KHz / 24bit K2HD K2 HD CD

- Mastersound Gold CD

- Japanese SBM 24K GOLD CD OBI

- ???

THX

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #27 of 98
I actually have no idea what goes into making music, how it goes from the actual recording studio onto media.  I'm guessing there's one master copy out there everyone works with, and all these studios try to invent their own signature sound by editing through software or something?  If that's not the case, can someone explain why there are so many releases and re-releases of these old albums?

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #29 of 98

Quote:
If that's not the case, can someone explain why there are so many releases and re-releases of these old albums?

It's just marketing strategy…the big record labels know that every so often a whole new crop of folks will actually be thinking about purchasing their first Miles Davis record, so they "re-release" them as kind of a prod…they might even get a little press mileage out of it…what I hate is when the labels add all these substandard "bonus tracks" as some kind of incentive…I've never quite understood why folks would want to hear B-list stuff when perfection has been available for-, like, -ever…

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #30 of 98
It's only like that with the warhorse albums. Thankfully, for every version of Kind of Blue, there's a hundred lesser known titles that are just as worthy that aren't squeezed for every collector's dollar.

I never knew why people buy so many copies of the same handful of titles. Isn't everyone sick to death of Dark Side of the Moon yet? How many copies does one really need?
Just buy the plain vanilla 7.99 cd and move on to something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back