New (to me) Sennheiser HD580 - Best portable amp? Maybe a better DAP too...
Feb 21, 2013 at 1:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Gordo68

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I went in on a lark to my local Goodwill and I looked in at their electronics stuff behind the counter and my eyes almost popped out as I saw a pair of HD580's staring up at me. $50 and some change later and I am in my car looking over the headphones and the DSP pro that came with it. The body looks fine and there are minor issues with the earpads but otherwise they seem totally intact and sound good. So I really like them so far and they really shine on the two "live" albums that I listened to with them (Eric Clapton Unplugged and VH1 Storytellers - Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson). So my question is this, is there a more appropriate portable amp for them than my Fiio E11? I currently have it set on high gain and the #3 EQ setting. Also, will an Ipod touch or classic make a better source than my Fuze? I hate the itunes thing but I would be willing to do it if it really was better, I know that the shuffle my niece has seems to really bump up the volume when paired with my E11 as compared to the Fuze or Sony that I have with pretty similar SQ to my untrained ears.

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Ok, so I went in on a lark to my local Goodwill and I looked in at their electronics stuff behind the counter and my eyes almost popped out as I saw a pair of HD580's staring up at me. $50 and some change later and I am in my car looking over the headphones and the DSP pro that came with it. The body looks fine and there are minor issues with the earpads but otherwise they seem totally intact and sound good. So I really like them so far and they really shine on the two "live" albums that I listened to with them (Eric Clapton Unplugged and VH1 Storytellers - Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson). So my question is this, is there a more appropriate portable amp for them than my Fiio E11? I currently have it set on high gain and the #3 EQ setting. Also, will an Ipod touch or classic make a better source than my Fuze? I hate the itunes thing but I would be willing to do it if it really was better, I know that the shuffle my niece has seems to really bump up the volume when paired with my E11 as compared to the Fuze or Sony that I have with pretty similar SQ to my untrained ears.

Nice find!  I suspect that possibly getting the new Fiio Monte Blanc or known as the E12 could be a better choice.  It appears that at $120, or so, the various reviews have it as quite a great performer.

As to you finding the HD-580 for such a nice price, congrats!  Now, too bad Sennheiser will charge more ($58.00) for the replacement ear pads than you paid for the whole set of headphones.  Also, if you paid $50 and happened to get the "Jubilee" model, I'd call that kind of purchase a theft or a major crime for being able to get such a pair of distinguished headphones for such a great price.

If I were you, I'd hit that Goodwill more often.  Who knows, you might be able to pick up a pair of Orpheus by Sennheiser for $299.  Now, that would be one fine bargain.  
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back