New to Mac.. Help me get started! :)
Sep 7, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #17 of 32
This list just appeared on Digg. Also check out the text editor thread in the Members forum.

Interesting another list hit right after.

Oct 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #18 of 32
FWIW, I use NMP3 Ripper. It uses LAME which is lossless. Very simple and it produces wildly good results for me.

Free, too.

Oct 29, 2007 at 3:58 PM Post #19 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoFlaChris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I use NMP3 Ripper. It uses LAME which is lossless. Very simple and it produces wildly good results for me.

LAME do NOT create lossless files. LAME is an MP3 encoder, and MP3 is lossy by nature...
wink.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

My issue is that I hate iTunes - always causes problems in my experience.

Er - if you hate iTunes, why get a Mac? The whole operating system is like iTunes - in fact, the new Finder in the latest release (Leopard) looks and works pretty much exactly the same!

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #21 of 32
I just bought my first mac(book) and had the same questions. My whole collection is in FLAC and ideally I would like to run foobar. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of (good) alternatives.

The best options right now are probably to use bootcamp to run windows and foobar2000 or linux & amarok.

OR

Use VMWare, Parallels, or Q Emulator to run foobar2000 (or your favourite windows player) within OS X.

IF

You are willing to wait, like me. Songbird looks very promising it could become a top tier player, though it is in early development. Aside from killing bugs and adding features I hope they are able to optimize it as it is sluggish compared to itunes and slow as molasses next to foobar2000.

But the most exciting news, which came just 2 days ago, is this:

"At this point there’s only one more thing left to write. Expect native FLAC file format support in XiphQT soon."

XiphQT currently supports FLAC in itunes through a Ogg wrapper.

This is what I have discovered over the past three days. I hope that it helps.

Oct 30, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #22 of 32
Oct 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am considering to buy a mac mini ...
is there any media player supported asio 2.0 for mac?

ASIO is a Windows concept, to compensate for its driver model (latency) and processing issues (kMixer). You do not need ASIO on the Mac, nor is any equivalent even available, because it is not needed. iTunes (as well as everything else) is bit-perfect, just check your settings in "Audio MIDI Setup" in your utilities folder.

Oct 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #25 of 32
By the way, I haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet (I might have missed it if it was), but there is a Foobar-inspired audio player now available for OS X called "Play". Yeah, generic name, but it plays everything and has a more Foobar-like user interface than iTunes:
http://sbooth.org/Play/
Give it a try. Personally I can't live without iTunes, especially once you master smart folders and find a few scripts you like.

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ASIO is a Windows concept, to compensate for its driver model (latency) and processing issues (kMixer). You do not need ASIO on the Mac, nor is any equivalent even available, because it is not needed. iTunes (as well as everything else) is bit-perfect, just check your settings in "Audio MIDI Setup" in your utilities folder.

thanks ... i am a total newbie of Mac..
based on the same Audiophile USB, does Mac Mini sound better than using PC it doesnt require Asio ..

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:17 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am considering to buy a mac mini ...
is there any media player supported asio 2.0 for mac?

What use do you have for ASIO in Mac OS X?
Cause from what I understand this is MS Windows concept to bypass the kMixer.

I suggest you just use iTunes. Which can be bit-perfect...

Oct 31, 2007 at 12:21 PM Post #29 of 32
What I use is Cog for all of my flac needs, and take advantage of the optical out option for use with my external dac. So far, I've found this setup to be perfect for my needs.

Supposedly, i've heard of being able to run foobar through some of the developer x11 packs, but have not tried it myself.

Oct 31, 2007 at 5:45 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Macwizard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Supposedly, i've heard of being able to run foobar through some of the developer x11 packs, but have not tried it myself.

Darwine is the key.
It the Mac OS X version of Wine. An open-source Win32 API layer, that allows you to run most MS Windows applications on Mac OS X (using X11).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back