New to Mac.. Help me get started! :)
Sep 5, 2007 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

escaflo

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently just bought myself a Macbook Pro. I am pretty happy with it but knowing that I am pretty noob with OS X, I thought it is better for me to tap into the collective intelligence of this forum.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would like to know what programs you guys (being Mac OS X users only!) use for audio playback, library management, cd ripping and video playback. I've personally try iTunes, Amarok, VLC, MPlayer and also Quicktime with Perian. I don't mind if it is a paid for software as long as it is a good software.

Cheers!

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 32
I will have my macbook pro within 2 weeks, so would love some responses too. If there are any really good Apple related sites or forums out there (even those that aren't specific to audio) please let me know.

thanks!

Sep 5, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 32
I just use iTunes on my Mac... It's good enough for me.

Good choice moving to Mac though... I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Sep 5, 2007 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 32
My issue is that I hate iTunes - always causes problems in my experience. I'm not trying to start a discussion on how good or bad iTunes is - I know it has its advantages and loads of people love it! My issues with it are more to do with me than the program so please don't mention the obvious about how iTunes is the 'only choice for Mac' - I understand why this is the case, but would like to avoid using it all the same.

So...

What should I use instead of iTunes? I'm looking for FLAC playback also.

Also curious - what is the deal with the new OS being released soon? Will I (and the OP) be able to upgrade for free? Is it a matter of downloading an update for the new OS when available?

Sep 5, 2007 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My issue is that I hate iTunes - always causes problems in my experience. I'm not trying to start a discussion on how good or bad iTunes is - I know it has its advantages and loads of people love it! My issues with it are more to do with me than the program so please don't mention the obvious about how iTunes is the 'only choice for Mac' - I understand why this is the case, but would like to avoid using it all the same.

So...

Also curious - what is the deal with the new OS being released soon? Will I (and the OP) be able to upgrade for free? Is it a matter of downloading an update for the new OS when available?

I would venture to guess almost all Mac users use itunes. Perhaps if it's just you, as you say, you should consider digging a bit deeper and solving those problems which bother you. I have no problems managing a rather significant amount of songs wirelessly through an Apple base station with multiple USB drives plugged in to a USB hub.

For FLAC, unfortunately, there is no plugin so you have to convert. I found a simple drag and drop program called xact

If you don't want to convert, VLC plays FLAC and is also a great video player for DVD or the downloaded variety. I use VLC for everything besides actual DVDs.

For OGG files there is a plugin.

Other programs that I find handy, unrelated to itunes, are MactheRipper for ripping DVD's.

Camino is a much better browser than Safari for the majority of websites I think. Mostly it's adblock but I also like the icons you can use across the bookmark bar compared to most browsers where you have to use text.

I doubt you'll get the OS for free unless there was some mention of it with your new computer. Try raising a stink with customer service. It worked for me last time, but I doubt I'll be able to swing it this time around. i recently got a macbook pro (mid-july)

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:12 PM Post #7 of 32
I seem to remember Apple having a deal whereby if a new version of the OS is released within a certain timeframe from purchasing your Mac, you'll get it for free, or discounted... Think it's only a month or so though IIRC.

Sep 5, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Well let me mention another obvious - it doesn't sound like you've used it on a Mac. It's much more extensible on OS X. See the Applescripts link in my sig for but one example.

For people new to OS X, you may want to read completely through this relatively recent thread.

For Mac related sites consider TUAW, Mac OS X Hints, Apple Insider, Daring Fireball and DealMac.

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #9 of 32
Personally I've tried iTunes with Applescript. There's just one thing that's bugging me. Which is the ability to view the current playing now list. Most players allow us to view that but iTunes. Also I do find that some of the Applescript is lacking for example the file renaming script. Somehow when I tried to rename the files, the iTunes library is not automatically updated. I've the re-import all the songs with the new filenames in and have to remove those old one manually.

I do like OS X a lot but I find that for general media playback, it seems that Windows just seem to do it a little bit better. Player like VLC and MPlayer just seems so buggy. I really don't mind having to pay for just a good media player that comes with all the codecs and work just right out of the box. VLC does comes with all the codec but it seems to keep crashing for me. >_<

Anyway.. thanks for all the help..
smily_headphones1.gif
I would take a look into xACT and MAX as well.
smily_headphones1.gif
Keep em coming..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 4:18 PM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by escaflo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I've tried iTunes with Applescript. There's just one thing that's bugging me. Which is the ability to view the current playing now list. Most players allow us to view that but iTunes.

So this button don't perform what you need?
wink.gif

picture1vi9.png

Sep 5, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #11 of 32
iTunes for the Mac is a totally different animal than iTunes for the PC. It's so well integrated into the system, nothing else compares. Try it before you dismiss it. There really aren't many third party music management programs any more. The reason is that Apple nailed it.

See ya
Steve

Sep 5, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 32
Some great replies - thanks guys. I have used iTunes on a Mac, use a few Mac Pros at work. Perhaps I will use it on the Mackbook Pro with a select duplicate group of files and see how I go. Would prefer to use a cross platform application, but my choices here are far too limited, and I agree with the comment above regarding VLC being too buggy (great 'backup app', but not so good as a primary one IMO).

Will check out those links too, thanks blessingx

Sep 6, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #13 of 32
Quote:

Hi There,

Itunes can play FLAC files natively. See here for the Xiph Quicktime component. I have had version 0.1.7 installed and while there are some issues with the way some tags are read, playback of my FLAC files has been fine. You can also use the Xiph component to transcode from FLAC to apple lossless with iTunes.

Here's a link to the steps for importing FLAC files into your iTunes library with Xiph, Flac importer and SetOggs:
http://earpick.wordpress.com/2007/06...itunes-on-mac/

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi There,

Itunes can play FLAC files natively.

Thanks a lot for the link!
I was aware of the Xiph Quicktime component which support playback of Ogg FLAC files. But I was totally unaware of the additional applications, which allow playback of FLAC files in the native FLAC container.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back