New to IEMs: V-Moda Vibe for Trance?
Jul 1, 2008 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

trancenweather

New Head-Fier
Hi...

Looking to spend less than $100 on IEMs. My normal phones are Grado SR-60s. I will be listening to trance with the IEMs I buy, while working out at the gym. What do you recommend for trance's midbass/bass-heavy music?

I've heard V-Moda Vibes are the way to go for my price range, but am curious about Shure's IEMs, among others. What are your recommendations? Thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #2 of 16
Based on what I have read, I'd go with the Head-Direct RE2.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 16
Will I the RE2 IEMs shine without a headphone amp? I don't want to buy them if the iAudio 7 won't power them properly (to full extent).

How about the VModa Vibes? I would say those are the 2 it's down to, based on my research. Thanks for your help.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 16
my vibes are falling to bits with minimal use and are well cared for generally!
Bass is plentiful but can be lil overpowering and lil false at times.
Just the build qality that was huge issue for me!
Also i prefer larger cans as find them to be more detailed generally so might not have greatest opinion!

Jul 2, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 16
Hmm...can't seem to find the RE2s for the $80 price I keep hearing about. I guess the group buy is through. Anyone know where else I could buy the RE2s for less than the $99 full retail? If not sounds like the V-Moda Vibe is the way to go. Also read on the Atrios 5 but that's $150.

Based on reviews...perhaps too little bass, but others say burn it in for 10 hours and bass is more pronounced. I'm feeling like the Vibes are a safe buy to use with the iAudio 7 for trance music.

Is that agreed?

Jul 9, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by trancenweather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm...can't seem to find the RE2s for the $80 price I keep hearing about.

They're $100 now but are still very very much worth it.

Buy them from head-direct.com
They are bright IEM's (focused on highs, light on bass) however.

I'd go the Denon c551's if you want (good) bass for that pricerange for $67 on Amazon.

*Envies how good Europe and North America have it good in terms of decent prices and range for any type of headphones...while down here in crapty old NZ...*

I got the D2 myself and the C551's and I'm not sure if the iAudio has BBE effects but the Mach3Bass set to 6 = earth shattering deep, tight, good bass. Anything higher = too much IMO.

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #9 of 16
Careful with the Vibes, I bought some and because I can't return them they're just a waste - great bass, but they barely attempt the treble range, so you get roaring kick drums but the cymbals sound like they're coming from next door, under a blanket.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #10 of 16
If you've got a choice between the Vibes for $100 or Denon AH-C551s for $67 go for the Denons.

I've had both, and the Denons are far superior. They're both great looking pairs of canal phones but the Denons have much better build quality (my pair of Vibes broke within less than 3 months of light use).

The Vibes were the first "decent" pair of canal phones I ever bought, which was quite a while ago, so I can't really remember them well enough to be able to compare audio quality, but I do remember having an immediate sense of disapointment with the Vibes, plus I found them to be really uncomfortable, continually falling out of me ears while I walked (so I constantly had to re-adjust them every few seconds) and they suffered awful cable microphonics (though that may have been improved if I'd tried wearing them over the my ears).

In contrast, when I got my Denons I couldn't whipe the smile off my face for a couple of days. They're just incredible for the price.

Jul 9, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Fusion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Careful with the Vibes, I bought some and because I can't return them they're just a waste - great bass, but they barely attempt the treble range, so you get roaring kick drums but the cymbals sound like they're coming from next door, under a blanket.

yes that is mostly true. But they are fun.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 16
Yeah, RE2 should be good, but keep in mind, they're pretty ugly (IMO) for the price you're paying.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #14 of 16
ACtually, i don't mind the V-moda's, I was told that you need to burn these in for at least 24 hours, if not 48, thats what i did, and there was a significant improvement.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JG33 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ACtually, i don't mind the V-moda's, I was told that you need to burn these in for at least 24 hours, if not 48, thats what i did, and there was a significant improvement.

You just don't know what you're missing yet.
wink.gif

Hang around long enough here, you'll want to upgrade!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back