New to high end... not a clue what I'm doing.
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on gaming performance alone, I'd highly recommend the HD580s or HD600s. I use to do some semi-pro paid gaming in high school and I found that many pros use 580s and 600s due to the soundstage and precise positioning of where the sound comes from. As someone who considers herself a "fashionable girl", I kind of despised having others see me with those big, bulky things on my head. Even now, I only use big cans at home.

That said, the Sennheisers may not be a very good fit for your genres of music, especially without an amp. But you could probably get very good sound out of a 580 + cheap cMoy amp for about $200.

Counterstrike? =P

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:16 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cry Havoc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Counterstrike? =P

Yea, all the pro CS players used Sennheiser high end phones with a separate mic set that they hung around their necks. But I wasn't a CS player, I was a WC3/DOTA player so I never really found it necessary to use HD600s while gaming. I'll stick with UE-10s.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #18 of 28
I would recommend Beyerdynamic DT880 also. Really good for gaming, and very good for your music choice. You will need an amp though. They might be slightly more expensive then your other choices.

EDIT: Just read through your post again and this time saw yuour budget. Nevermind dt880 then.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griefer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's half of my budget... should I just get the SR225?

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by puppets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if you want Grado hp for gaming....for rock music my 325i is great.

You'll probably start choosing music over gaming after your first hit of the Grado drug.

Jan 25, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #20 of 28
Hi all
I just got my SR225 a few days ago (I am the 3rd user, so it should be burnt in already), and after trying with some of my favorite songs, my first impressions were:

With guitar - classical pieces: SR225 is sooooo detailed, I could hear very clearly the special sound of the guitar string... Wonderful!!!

But, when I tried the piece "One Wild Night" - Bon Jovi, the bass was a bit less then my SR60, and it was a bit "sharper", if you know what I mean...

So, what I want to ask is whether the SR225 is more towards the
classicals or not, cuz it sounds wonderful with guitar pieces... I just love them!

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guarneri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use to do some semi-pro paid gaming in high school

Impressive!

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by tND2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody has commented on the HD595 option. A friend of mine has these, and I'm currently in the process of buying a pair thru the head-fi classifieds. What are the downsides to them? They sounded great with the limited contact I've had with em..

They are great.
smily_headphones1.gif
They are reputed to not be as good as the Grado's with rock music and have a less aggressive, laid back sound. I love mine for both music and gaming, although I have not heard Grado. Some people don't find Grados all that comfortable and the 595's have a reputation for being very, very comfortable. I can't imagine a more comfy headphone.

Jan 25, 2008 at 10:32 PM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Nobody has commented on the HD595 option. A friend of mine has these, and I'm currently in the process of buying a pair thru the head-fi classifieds. What are the downsides to them? They sounded great with the limited contact I've had with em..

I own both the HD595 and the Grado SR-80's

When compared the H595's have a more laid back sound with a slightly veiled upper mid range but overall tonally more accurate sound. The sound stage on the HD595 is much much better making them much better for gaming. The SR-80's have cleaner crisper "upper mids" and highs with a much faster but leaner bottom end (although the HD595's don't have a huge bottom end). They can irritate some people with ear fatigue and sound very forward and in your face. Some people say the HD595's can sound boring and I agree to a certain point exspesally when compared to the Grado's. With all that set aside the SR-80's sound much more musical with certain music. Jim Croce, Nora Jones, Led Zepplin (most heavy metal) all sound much better on the SR-80's but Pink Floyd, Radiohead, NIN, Tool, Miles Davis, Most Classical all sound better on the HD595's

Overall though I personally lean more toward that HD595's sound and will probably upgrade to the HD650's soon.

Well thats my opinion at least.

Jan 26, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #25 of 28
Thanks for the feedback. The comfort factor is big with me, which is not to say that I'm form over function. The comfort of the 595s is top notch.. definitely the right starting point for me I think. Now.. not to hijack this thread completely, as it's still related to the first post, but-- which amp is a good entry level choice?

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. The comfort factor is big with me, which is not to say that I'm form over function. The comfort of the 595s is top notch.. definitely the right starting point for me I think. Now.. not to hijack this thread completely, as it's still related to the first post, but-- which amp is a good entry level choice?

If I were to starting from scratch and was planing on buying an amp as well, I would not pick up the HD595's. I would instead pick up some new HD580's from here

NEW Sennheiser HD580 Headphones HD 580 - eBay (item 260206748808 end time Feb-04-08 05:21:31 PST)

At $170 new, they are a steal. You may want to ask someone else about a good cheep amp that will match well with those though. And yes they will NEED an amp. You may also want to upgrade the HD580's at a later date with the HD600 grills and the 650 cables both of which can be bought from Sennheiser relatively cheep.

Jan 26, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Unlike the HD-580's recommended above, the HD-595's don't need an amp because of its low impedance at like 50 ohms. Still, having an amp on them are great; I've browsed around and the general consensus seems to be tube amps work very well with the 595's. Maybe the Little Dot MK II?

I don't really use my 595's much anymore, but now and then I get nostalgic feeling of wanting to listen to the 595's and I hook it up to my Cantate and it brings back good memories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back