New to high end audio and amping in general
Oct 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

big-country

Head-Fier
I've recently been making huge advances in my listening experience by purchasing the LCD-2. While awaiting it's arrival I figured I would explore the solutions out there for amping it preferably with a dedicated DC as well.

Some of the names and designs I've come across and loved the ascetics of as they'd nicely accent my macbook and ps4, are Bruson, Red Wine, Oppo and Grace.

I love a warm bassy sound as it suits my musical taste as well as the fact I'll be using it to get more enjoyment from gaming and movies so dynamics and soundstage are also of importance.

I am looking for something that can help further bring out those characteristics in the LCD-2 as well as any future cans and iems I pick up along my journey.

I do have my eyes on the Fostex TH600 as something fun and with booming bass.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I'll be blind buying as I have no outlet within my vicinity in order to test.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 6
Hi big,

If you get a chance try the following  and I am sure from this below list you might find something you really like. Some may stretch your budget  but it might be worth it.... I have just ordered  Violectric  HPA V281 and waiting for the delivery.

ajax-loader.png

ajax-loader.png

-Violectric Audio HPA V220
 -Violectric V200
 -WOO audio WA2 ( if you want tube and warmish sound)
 -Burson Soloist
 -Schitt Mjolnir
 -Luxman P1u
 -Redwine audio is also pretty good option.

Once again the more you are able to audition with your headphone the better interms of knowing the best sound signature that you are after.

Good Luck and best Regards
Alvin

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 6
By the manufacturer specs of the Fazor model I assume you have, you'll want an amp capable of about 1.87 Volts, or 50 mW at 70 ohms. This will allow you to hit 110 dB peaks, which is very likely more than you'll ever need. Most dedicated desktop amps are capable of this. A stylish amp/DAC combo with more than enough power and transparent specs is the Schiit Modi/Magni, found for only $200.

Amps really don't change the sound signature of a headphone. They don't increase dynamics or the soundstage. What they do is take a signal from the DAC, and change its volume with as few other changes as possible. If an amp is making real and audible changes to sound signature compared to another, one of them is very poorly designed or very poorly suited to the headphones being used. Usually the changes are just the result of cognitive biases, most amps do fine with most loads.

There's no reason to spend $1k or $2k unless you really, really like the aesthetic of a particular amp. You're just as likely to get worse performance as you are better, and neither will likely be audible!

If you really want to get the most out of your LCD-2, there are plenty of good and free EQ plugins for whatever music player you want to use. An EQ will have magnitudes larger an impact on your sound signature, and they allow you to tailor it to your own tastes. Reduce the bass or reduce the treble by however much you want, change or disable it as you wish, no new amp purchases or cable swapping necessary.

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 6
Thank you for the replies, yes I have the latest fazor model of them. Sadly I am getting no sound from the right cup :worried: I've contacted Audeze and await a reply.

Thank you for the explanation Head Injury, it just reads in all the reviews there are for various amps that they always say things along the lines of it in fact increasing what the headphone is already capable of, the same for cord swapping. I know to me personally the sound does indeed sound different and has a deeper richer quality when I amp subpar headphones. Maybe it is just that of a placebo effect or cognitive bias that I want it to do that so it does.

Anyways hopefully soon I will be able to fully enjoy my new investment and it will be something as simple as a faulty cable and not a poorly tested device from their quality department.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Oct 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
  By the manufacturer specs of the Fazor model I assume you have, you'll want an amp capable of about 1.87 Volts, or 50 mW at 70 ohms. This will allow you to hit 110 dB peaks, which is very likely more than you'll ever need. Most dedicated desktop amps are capable of this. A stylish amp/DAC combo with more than enough power and transparent specs is the Schiit Modi/Magni, found for only $200.

Amps really don't change the sound signature of a headphone. They don't increase dynamics or the soundstage. What they do is take a signal from the DAC, and change its volume with as few other changes as possible. If an amp is making real and audible changes to sound signature compared to another, one of them is very poorly designed or very poorly suited to the headphones being used. Usually the changes are just the result of cognitive biases, most amps do fine with most loads.

There's no reason to spend $1k or $2k unless you really, really like the aesthetic of a particular amp. You're just as likely to get worse performance as you are better, and neither will likely be audible!

If you really want to get the most out of your LCD-2, there are plenty of good and free EQ plugins for whatever music player you want to use. An EQ will have magnitudes larger an impact on your sound signature, and they allow you to tailor it to your own tastes. Reduce the bass or reduce the treble by however much you want, change or disable it as you wish, no new amp purchases or cable swapping necessary.

I would tend to agree with this general sentiment, but I have found for me personally with my HE-560 (lower impedance, similar sensitivity compared to the LCD-2) that increased power from 50mW definitely improves the sonic capabilities of the headphones. I would recommend shooting for an amplifier with at least 2W/channel RMS especially for orthodynamic headphones since you have such an insane budget.

I do agree that there is no reason to go overboard with your amplifier spending as the improvements in sound quality with different amps have been extremely subtle from my experience. You should easily be able to find something that basically "maxs" your LCD-2's performance at the sub-$500 price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back