New to headphones, want advice.
Aug 25, 2018 at 8:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Frusggodness

New Head-Fier
So, this is my first post here and I've seen and heard that this site is very helpful for headphone enthusiasts or beginners. I've recently got into music more and want the most I can get out of it. So of course, the first step along the way is the right listening apparatus. I have a budget of £120 and would like something that doesn't leak sound but has great quality nevertheless. I hope this is possible within my budget. Tia

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 18
So, this is my first post here and I've seen and heard that this site is very helpful for headphone enthusiasts or beginners. I've recently got into music more and want the most I can get out of it. So of course, the first step along the way is the right listening apparatus. I have a budget of £120 and would like something that doesn't leak sound but has great quality nevertheless. I hope this is possible within my budget. Tia

Welcome to the fourm. I think you should consider some of the grado headphones in their prestige series. I have used the SR125 headphones. They have rich detail and good balance. With that being said, it is a little over your budget. You should also look at the SR80e headphones. I haven't listened to them, but the price is more in line with your budget and they receive good ratings.

https://gradolabs.com/headphones

Aug 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 18
budget of £120 and would like something that doesn't leak sound

I think you should consider some of the grado headphones in their prestige series.

OP asks for a HP that doesnt leak sound,then is suggested one of the leakiest HPs around.:unamused: Grados sound very nice IMO,but not at all what OP is looking for.

It would be helpful to know what genres of music you prefer and what if any amp you have.

Aug 25, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 18
And your going to hook this up to what exactly? On the go and out in public? Running? Sitting quietly at your desk? Etc.

Then I think you might get some more responses.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #6 of 18
OP asks for a HP that doesnt leak sound,then is suggested one of the leakiest HPs around.:unamused: Grados sound very nice IMO,but not at all what OP is looking for.

It would be helpful to know what genres of music you prefer and what if any amp you have.

I listen to quite a large range of music. From rap to rock, from pop to country and others. I like bass but its not a priority, priority for me is clarity and quality, id love to be able to hear the intricacies of the music im listening to. My budget is 120, but i can buy used so lets assume by budget is around £150-200. Hope this helps

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #7 of 18
And your going to hook this up to what exactly? On the go and out in public? Running? Sitting quietly at your desk? Etc.

Then I think you might get some more responses.
Thats the thing, I'd be using them for most of that, I go to college and I'm at the library a lot, I also work out and would be at the gym so not leaking sound and sound not leaking in is quite important. However I also love listening ti music at home as thats a whole 'nother experience.

Aug 25, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #8 of 18
Well, that does help. Assuming your moving quite a bit at the gym, bending, lifting, running, etc. It almost rules out any on or over the ear. They simply do not stay in place and you would be constantly fiddling with them and of course the movement would cause sound leaks. Not to mention sweaty ear pads and headband.

Best bet would be to consider some nice comfortable iems. We still do not know what you will be using as a source or if you have an amp? I will assume you have a phone with no amp. Not sure of the quality of files you will listening to or whether you will be listening to lossy files from a streaming service.

I have been down the expensive iem road and am still ticked off when a $400 or $500 iem gets a snagged cable and boom, big repair bill. My advice would be a decent set of single driver iems as balanced armature are too flakey with impedance all over the map to say if it would reliable play well with your source, If you could to some test listening first that would be great. But a single dynamic dirver iem does not have the impedance issues which can dramatically change the freq response.

I use a pair of iems from Advance for my on the go walks. But since you are in the UK, why not look at something from RHA in Scotland. I also use their cheap pair as a backup and like them. Other brands that do well are Audio Technica, Shure and JVC which you should be able to source easily. Good luck!

Aug 25, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #9 of 18
Well, that does help. Assuming your moving quite a bit at the gym, bending, lifting, running, etc. It almost rules out any on or over the ear. They simply do not stay in place and you would be constantly fiddling with them and of course the movement would cause sound leaks. Not to mention sweaty ear pads and headband.

Best bet would be to consider some nice comfortable iems. We still do not know what you will be using as a source or if you have an amp? I will assume you have a phone with no amp. Not sure of the quality of files you will listening to or whether you will be listening to lossy files from a streaming service.

I have been down the expensive iem road and am still ticked off when a $400 or $500 iem gets a snagged cable and boom, big repair bill. My advice would be a decent set of single driver iems as balanced armature are too flakey with impedance all over the map to say if it would reliable play well with your source, If you could to some test listening first that would be great. But a single dynamic dirver iem does not have the impedance issues which can dramatically change the freq response.

I use a pair of iems from Advance for my on the go walks. But since you are in the UK, why not look at something from RHA in Scotland. I also use their cheap pair as a backup and like them. Other brands that do well are Audio Technica, Shure and JVC which you should be able to source easily. Good luck!

For that reason I would probably just use my earbuds for working out. I definite want over ear headphones as those deliver the best quality without leaking sound. I'm listening through spotify at 360kbps at the moment but I would probably invest in some hi-res player that I could have on the move. I do not have an amp

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 18
then you need to make sure your ears fit inside the cups, mine at 67mm top to bottom only fit without being folded a bit in a few over the ears.

You still have not told us what is your source? How do you listen to spotify, phone? Tablet, lappy, desktop? All the above?

Best sounding cans I have heard in a while that just fit my ears and can be run from a phone or other source without an amp is the Sennheiser HD569 and right around your budget at $149 US.

Lots of other suspects out there like AT-50X and others, but for me the Senn just sounds a bit better to me. YMMV

Aug 25, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 18
then you need to make sure your ears fit inside the cups, mine at 67mm top to bottom only fit without being folded a bit in a few over the ears.

You still have not told us what is your source? How do you listen to spotify, phone? Tablet, lappy, desktop? All the above?

Best sounding cans I have heard in a while that just fit my ears and can be run from a phone or other source without an amp is the Sennheiser HD569 and right around your budget at $149 US.

Lots of other suspects out there like AT-50X and others, but for me the Senn just sounds a bit better to me. YMMV
I listen through my phone primarily, I was looking at the sony mdr1000x which are way out of my price range unless I can win a bid war on them on ebay. They look amazing and I'm sure they are. However if i cant win the bidding im back to other options(so many). I will check out the senns though.

Aug 25, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 18
That video highlights issues that won't be a problem for me, but maybe for more picky users. Also, ive read that the wireless transmission tech on these is 960 mpbs which is higher thsn most wireless. And I would probably use a wire anyway since I dont have a problem with that.

Cool, just thought I would pass it along, not a fan of bluetooth HP in general. Good luck on the auction!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back