New to headphones, please help to choose!
Apr 7, 2007 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

domyue

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

So far I've been using in-ear headphones (Shure e3c), but i want to try proper headphones with a band around my neck/head!

I was wondering if you guys could help me choose a pair. Preferably:

1) Excellent sound (I listen to all kinds of music)

2) Price of less than £50 (or US$90)

3) Foldable to a smaller shape

4) Well sound isolated (so others can't hear my music)

Don't worry about regional model availability, since I live in UK and I have a bro in the US to help.

I've looked at the P(M)X100/PX200 - but they seem to have sound leakage to the outside world. Then the AKG K26 seemed like there were mixed reviews...some thought it was v good, some thought it was mediocre.

Can someone please give me advice, considering my above 4 preferences??

Thanks a lot guys and gals!!
280smile.gif

Dom

Apr 7, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 15
The Sony MDR-V6 and Sennheiser HD280 both fit all your requirements and sound great. Look around the forum to seem how people describe the sound and see which one sounds more like what you'd like.

I have the V6, I would describe the sound as precise but people who don't like it might say "too analytical". The effect is that if there is someone talking quietly in the background of a live track, you can easily hear what they're saying. Once you get used to the fact that you can resolve each part of the mix, music sounds very rich and detailed. It is not as engaging as really good open phones, but it is certainly a very good closed phone at any price.

Moving up a little, there is the Audio Technica A500 (which is normally over your range, but look here) and the Beyer DT770 which is over your range. I have not had these but they get great reviews; they are on my "maybe someday" upgrade list.

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 15
Well those ones you recommended are good ones, but i was hoping to get some that were less bulky. The AKG K26 kinda size. Also the K26 was almost self collapsible, as was the PX100/200.

Are there any that are of this kind, or are K26 & PX100 the only ones that have good sound, smallish and can fold to a "sunglasses" shape??

Thanks again

Apr 7, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by domyue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well those ones you recommended are good ones, but i was hoping to get some that were less bulky. The AKG K26 kinda size. Also the K26 was almost self collapsible, as was the PX100/200.

Hah, you just said foldable, you didn't say small
wink.gif

I would say that shape/weight/comfort are more important than size per se?

I haven't heard K26 but I don't expect it to be in the same league as good full-sized phones. To me, every small phone I've ever heard, the bass was either muddy or absent. Some phones do relatively well in a small size (KSC75), but none of them are closed. So given those requirements you may be better off with IEMs, but if you want to give the K26 a try... post a review to let us know how it went.

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 15
I've read the reviews of K26, they say its good for sound isolation and the sound quality is very good. However, one or two people say that it's pretty much the same quality of the factory provided phones some players include...

Personally, I think the fit is important to getting a good sound. Perhaps those with bad reviews of K26 had a bad fit on the ear or something. Besides these are relatively cheapie headphones...

Apr 8, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 15
I'd go with the Sony MDR-V6. I used a pair for years, until I found this place.
k1000smile.gif

For the price, they're an excellent headphone. They get a lot of professional use, in studios, radio stations, etc. They fold up, offer excellent isolation and sound pretty good. Best of all, you can often find them in electronics stores locally and get a listen before you buy.

Apr 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #9 of 15
V6 huh? Good isolation? Analytical? Presentation forward, laid-back or neutral?

Hmmmmm....we gots lot of kids 'round the house....good isolation; good deal. Any sonic shock if used near MS2i or HD600?

Might just have to add a "get them kids outta my brain!" set of phones to the stable!

EDIT.......ok; I know better. I'll do a search. It's fun; this'll be like #23!
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #10 of 15
Ugh, V6's don't fold that much smaller XD I guess it's just me, I really don't like the V6's, I like my K81's better (I'm gonna get shot down and flamed for this so badly lol). I'd recommend the K26P since I think they have the same drivers, in a smaller enclosure, I think, but it's too late.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 15
I'm possibly in the market for a pair of V6's. I currently own sr80's but I have one question about V6's being sold right now; are these manufactured in China or Japan? If someone can let me know I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Apr 8, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by domyue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, i'll buy a pair of these V6's from US

Thanks guys for your help!

how about considering the hd280 pros first? i like mine
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 15
The pair of V6s I got from Amazon was made in China, and I think all the new ones are too.

I've heard stories on the Internet on how the coiled cable isn't as good as the Japan-made ones. I don't have both versions to compare, although the coil material and elasticity both seem fine/decent to me.

Also, any potential buyers of V6 should consider getting DT250 earpads to replace the stock pads if you want to make it super-comfy for those extra long listening session. It's well worth it.

Sound quality wise, it's definitely a step up from the usual fare (iBuds), in my opinion. I've owned and used it daily for two months now, and upgraditis have yet to hit me. It brings out a lot detail, and the soundstage is OK post-DT250 pad mod. The bass does extend really low though, and you might perceive this as being boomy... but I love it when I'm watching action movies.

One last thing: you might want to try it on before you buy it, as some people find that their ear can't fit in it. There's a bit of a debate going on on whether the V6s are circum-aural or supra-aural. If your ears can't fit in 'em, don't buy it.

Apr 8, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 15
Ok well thanks for clearing that up for me. I had a feeling they were made in China, for the price they sell at. I'll probably wait it out and see if I can find a pair second hand that are made in Japan.

Apr 8, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #15 of 15
One good question could be: Are they, "well; made in China.
frown.gif
" Or, are they, "well made, in China.
smily_headphones1.gif
"?

EDIT: In my humble opinion; I would rather pay a little more and buy something "Made in MY country," wherever I may actually live.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back