New to headphones, need opinion
Dec 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nirer

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm gonna make this quick.. I'm a real musician , music is my life, but I don't really understand in headphone gear..
I'm sure u get comparison to the beats by dre a lot so one more time couldn't hurt...
I'm searching for in ear headphones around 50$ with a quality better or equal to the beats by dre tour edition.
Thanks for the help!

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #2 of 14
Better quality? Most people here would argue that something flat would be better quality, but since it will have a lot less bass, you may not like a flat sound.

Do you want more bass? Better construciton? More clarity?

Describe how you would like an IEM (In-Ear-Monitor, or earphone,) to sound in order of preferences, and we can help you from there. Or, search the forum for bass heavy IEM, better than Beats Tours, etc. 

The best thing for you is probably to search through the huge IEM review by ljokerl:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-266-iems-compared-rock-it-sounds-r-50-added-11-29-12

Good luck.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 14
I put this guide together that might help. Couple ideas has400 for $25 or uptown for $65 bucks at bens outlet. Good luck

http://www.head-fi.org/t/625124/over-performing-over-achieving-headphones-iems-for-their-price-range-top-cost-effective-cans-iems

Dec 11, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 14
I would definitely say the $25 has400 is on par with the beats solo based on my auditioning of them for sure if not better sounding. I like to listen to a headphone side by side before I make definitive statements of "better" or "worse" so I will reserve that comment for now but definitely on par. Haven't heard the tour.

Dec 12, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 14
I would definitely say the $25 has400 is on par with the beats solo based on my auditioning of them for sure if not better sounding. I like to listen to a headphone side by side before I make definitive statements of "better" or "worse" so I will reserve that comment for now but definitely on par. Haven't heard the tour.

Ok! Thx a lot! Do you have another recommendation to any better iem's than the has400 at a budget of 50$?

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 14
The sony mh1c is the best sounding IEM in that price range ($30 from amazon). Some people don't like the flat cable. There is a tiny little vent on the top of the iem. I recommend putting a piece of tape over that hole and the bass is just perfect.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
The sony mh1c is the best sounding IEM in that price range ($30 from amazon). Some people don't like the flat cable. There is a tiny little vent on the top of the iem. I recommend putting a piece of tape over that hole and the bass is just perfect.

OMG there IS a vent on top, how did you see that? I thought it was a manufacturing defect

Dec 12, 2012 at 8:01 AM Post #12 of 14
If you are a musician, and will stretch your budget further (100$), then you can go get the etymotic HF5. They are made to sound very true to life and very flat in frequency. It must be worth it, if you like your music that much
biggrin.gif

But you might be shocked, if you are used to the kind of sound the beats produces. Their bass response are VERY exaggerated, and nothing like the true sound of say a live performance.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Ofc if you just want to enjoy your music... then there might be something better for you. But I like the hf5, and sq wise they compare to many more expensive headphones. Also they offer the best doucumented noice isolation for any earphone. That can be both good and bad, depending on what you use them for, but for trains and flights they are perfect.

EDIT: Also, you must remember that these headphones are in a different league than the beats. I won't say you can compare, they beat the beats (pun intended?) by several lengths. They were my first head-fi purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back