New to Head Fi. Looking for Good IEM's
Dec 30, 2008 at 4:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

arekieh

Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Ive read alot on here as a guest, and ive read alot of threads of people asking for suggestions on what IEM's to get. But i wanted to start my own because it seems like its more to each persons use/preference.

Im looking for some Sub $70 preferably Sub $50 Headphones. Easiest way for me to buy them would probably be ebay or any other retail store that takes Paypal and Ships to canada.

Anyways, i mostly use my Samsung P2 on the bus to school, and the engines are really loud which is why i like IEM's to block out the noise. Ive previously used those really crappy skullcandies. And they suck, they always have a hissing noise, and hurt my ears. I was looking at the V-Moda Vibes (on sale at newegg for $65) and the CX 300 ($25 shipped on Ebay). Is the extra money for the Vibes worth it? And is it true that they are really fragile and wreck easily. Also is it worth the extra $40 to go from the CX 300 to the Vibes? Or am i looking in the wrong direction, should i be looking at something else?

Your suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 25
And how about the Philips SHN2500 ??? i can pick those up for $25 shipped as well. Is the active noise canceling worth it?

And are CX400's worth an extra $10 over the CX 300's?

Dec 30, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 25
There is a very opinionated war against 4 IEM brands
Shure 530 (mids are great highs are ok bass is more than the triplefi and less tha the westone they fit ok)
Westone 3 (too much bass)
UE Triple Fi 10 (least bass do not fit right best highs)
Steinheiser IE8 (do not know much about these)

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #6 of 25
ultimate ears super.fi 3 are $79. Etymotic er6i could be found in the same price range. Altec lansing im716.

just throwing some out on the top of my head.

EDIT: oh whoops, you already bought the vibes.

Dec 30, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 25
Sadly, the Vibes are trash. If I would've seen this thread sooner I would've suggested Nuforce NE-7M, Nuforce NE-8, or ZAGG Z.Buds.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 25
The Vibes can't be that bad. I'm sure he'll enjoy them. I wouldn't buy them - but they sure do look a hell lot better than my Creative Ep630s.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by arekieh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
0.o, theyre trash? Why are all the reviews on them so good?

Because they have some bass (bloated and distorted, for that matter) and don't look ugly.

However, they have little to offer if you're looking for clarity. There are also many options (beyond the three I mentioned) in that price range which don't just beat the Vibes, they walk all over them.

V-Moda just really needs a new offering that sounds good to bring it back into favor, but as of right now they offer nothing I would bring my wallet out for.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #12 of 25
Lol,
just to clarify one thing, my music isnt the greatest quality to begin with, and i wouldnt call myself an audiophile. i Just wanted some good quality headphones with decent sound, (aka better than the stock ones) how do these compare to the bose triports? I had those for a month and thought they were pretty good. I sold them for $60 and got the Vibes for the same price. If the vibes are better than the triports are happy. Atleast now i know to ask here before buying any headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Lol,
just to clarify one thing, my music isnt the greatest quality to begin with, and i wouldnt call myself an audiophile. i Just wanted some good quality headphones with decent sound, (aka better than the stock ones) how do these compare to the bose triports? I had those for a month and thought they were pretty good. I sold them for $60 and got the Vibes for the same price. If the vibes are better than the triports are happy. Atleast now i know to ask here before buying any headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't mention the B word here.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #14 of 25
ahahahahhahah i had a feeling id get a response like that. I didnt like them either if that makes any difference. But they did sound pretty good. Could u tell me if theyre even comparable? Or are the Vibes alot better? Or say, how do the vibes compare to CX300's. And do they isolate noise pretty well?

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

ahahahahhahah i had a feeling id get a response like that. I didnt like them either if that makes any difference. But they did sound pretty good. Could u tell me if theyre even comparable? Or are the Vibes alot better? Or say, how do the vibes compare to CX300's. And do they isolate noise pretty well?

Well, first of all, they're different things. The triports are over-ears. I've actually heard them before in the Apple shop, and frankly speaking I thought they were ok. But they are just way overpriced. If it was about $30 bucks it'd be good.

Haven't tried the vibes or CX300, but not many people nowadays say the vibes are good. For your budget, I can't really recommend any good IEMs. For over the ears, I can say KSC75, PX100, Portapros are the best you can get. IEMs... really IMO they don't shine until you hit the $150 mark or so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back