New to dedicated source/SACD - question
Jun 17, 2007 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

xcodeguy

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting the Oppo DV-970HD. I will be using the optical out to feed a Headroom MicroDac and then on to a WooAudio6.

I've read the user manual for the Oppo and it specifically says that SACD and DVD-A playback will only work with the 5.1 analog outputs because of copy protection. I guess I can take my DAC out of the picture but how do I feed the WooAudio6 if I want to listen to an SACD using the Oppo's 5.1 outputs?

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcodeguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting the Oppo DV-970HD. I will be using the optical out to feed a Headroom MicroDac and then on to a WooAudio6.

I've read the user manual for the Oppo and it specifically says that SACD and DVD-A playback will only work with the 5.1 analog outputs because of copy protection. I guess I can take my DAC out of the picture but how do I feed the WooAudio6 if I want to listen to an SACD using the Oppo's 5.1 outputs?

All SACD's are required to include a 2-channel version of the music, and the 5.1 channel is optional. You'll want to setup your Oppo to only play the 2-channel versions of the SACD. You'll also want the Oppo to automatically playback SACD's instead of the CD layer on hybrids. Then hookup the Front L and Front R on the Oppo's 5.1 output to your WooAudio's L/R input.

You'll be stuck with the analog outputs of the Oppo for Redbook CD playback unless you get some sort of source selector or swap the RCA cables manually. This is a big reason why I chose to go the dedicated CDP/SACD route, the same analog outputs for both!

Jun 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All SACD's are required to include a 2-channel version of the music, and the 5.1 channel is optional. You'll want to setup your Oppo to only play the 2-channel versions of the SACD. You'll also want the Oppo to automatically playback SACD's instead of the CD layer on hybrids. Then hookup the Front L and Front R on the Oppo's 5.1 output to your WooAudio's L/R input.

Thanks for the info. I am not planning on having this component hooked up to a TV/LCD any time soon so after reading the manual and noticing that all of the more detailed settings for the Oppo seem to use an OSD on the HD Monitor. Can I fine-tune and get to all the settings on the Oppo using the remote and the onboard LED 'tiny' screen? The manual does not say either way.

Thanks for any help everyone.

Jun 18, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Can anybody comment if all settings can be accessed via the front panel display and remote - without needing a LCD TV/Monitor?

On my Sony 90v DVD player, I have no way of setting the options without hooking it up to a monitor. It's not hard though, find a TV with s-video or composite input and plug and set up the Oppo once on the monitor.

Jun 19, 2007 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I have another question for those inclined to help this newb out:

Would I benefit more using the internal DAC in the Oppo hence analog out to my amp; or should I go optical to my MicroDAC? Is it safe to assume that since the MicroDAC cost twice as much as the Oppo that it's components and number crunching abilities are better?

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I have another question for those inclined to help this newb out:

Would I benefit more using the internal DAC in the Oppo hence analog out to my amp; or should I go optical to my MicroDAC? Is it safe to assume that since the MicroDAC cost twice as much as the Oppo that it's components and number crunching abilities are better?

If you have the MicroDAC, try it. Logic would say that a dedicated device will be better than a player. This is discussed in transport/dacs vs cdps. You can get an optical cable for $10. I know my dac sounds better than my players. But my players are under a grand.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 11
you do know that in order to get the sacd to work it has to be from the
analog out no optical and the only other way is hdmi 1.2a which i do not
believe this unit carries that.

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 11
To clarify a few things.
Hardly any SACD players can output an SACD digital signal, and those that do don't use SPDIF (coaxial or optical). The SACD players with the ability to output are well out of the price bracket of the Oppo.
As such, you're stuck with using the analogue outputs on the back of the Oppo for your SACD signal
The implications are that you're looking at using either:
- SACD via analogue from the Oppo
- CD signal via digital to your DAC
Note also that "number crunching" and "how new the DAC is" is NOT a measure of how good a unit will sound. More important is how that DAC is implemented, i.e. clocks, PSUs, circuit layout, mechanical isolation etc.

As such, I don't think that any of us could accurately predict which option will sound the best. Whilst it may sound obvious to suggest the SACD as it is the best medium/format, it could be that the implementation on your external DAC is done substantially better. You'll simply have to listen for yourself and let us know.

For reference, I did a similar kind of test recently with my Blu-ray player. I.e comparing the LPCM from a movie (24bit uncompressed music) vs a digital output to a "reasonably cheap" NOS DAC (running with a 16 bit signal). I actually prefered the 16bit signal. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back