New to DACs and USB-Audio - Do I need a DAC/amp?
May 7, 2020 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Sophie 101

New Head-Fier
HI guys,

I know what a DAC is, but I don't know if I need one :wink: Perhaps if I try and explain what I want to achieve, someone can shout at me, can they?

I have a pair of Yamaha MSP-5 active speakers lying around that I want to build a system with in the lounge. I have an iPhone SE ( with the 3.5mm audio out) that I want to run into with the speakers. I listen with my headphones when out and about.

iphone SE outputs are:
3.5 mm analog
USB audio via a lightnig to usb cable ( never tried this before).

Yamaha MSP-5 inputs are:
XLR balanced
1/4" balanced

Music app
I have only used VLC for iOS. The audio files are not stored in itunes, but instead stored inside the VLC app. I read itunes/apple music app will convert the AIFF to AIFF-C or something.

My initial thought was to run the 3.5mm analog through a 3.5mm to XLR converter cable from amazon. Cheap and easy.

But is the best way to do this? How will this sound? How good it the 3.5mm signal?
If I run the USB-audio then is the signal downsized to 44k/16bit or can I actually send out a better signal to my speakers? ( speakers have 50 Hz - 40 khz range).

I looked at the Oppo HA-2 SE for the DAC because it sends out both a line-out for the speakers, and a 3.5mm headphone out for my cans, which means it can double for home use system or a portable headphone systems. Also I can run in 3.5mm analog from my iphone and listen to my headphones.

But does this really matter if all my music files are 16bit/44.1khz AIFF files?

I have no idea. Does anybody else have an idea? :)

Thanks,S!

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 6:52 PM Post #2 of 10
I don't think you need a DAC in your situation because your phone already has one in it. You should be able to just buy a cheap 3.4mm to 1/4 inch cable ( male - male ) and run that cable from your phone to your speaker input. Done!

Getting a clean signal from you PC for example may require an external DAC and headphone amp if you want to listen to music that way.

May 7, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 10
I would say to get a DAP (Digital Audio Player) with a line-output function and store your audio files on the DAP.
Assume you would use a cable with a 3.5mm TRS plug at one end (plugged into DAP), a dual 1/4" TS plugs at the other end (for connecting to the Yamahas).

May 7, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 10
Don't go 3.5mm to XLR, go with 3.5mm to 1/4 or just a 3.5mm to 3.5mm with a 1/4 adapter for the cheapest solution. It won't be the best sounding or most practical setup but it should work.

If you want to look into improvements, maybe you would want to go wireless from you phone to speakers? Who wants to attach a phone with wires nowadays? Hehe.

The speaker I/O is quite limitative without adapters, no usb, no RCA, no SPDIF, just XLR or 1/4 jack. AIFF file format is widely supported but always make sure

A lightning dongle DAC could work wired and some are Bluetooth so you could cheaply go wirelessly. Something like a Fiio BTR5 seems popular on this forum. It can even double as a usb DAC. It will require some charging though.

There are many ways to improve the sound, my suggestion above being one, others path like the DAP suggested above will require quite some investment but also bring sonic improvements.

May 8, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Agree with what has been said - I'D go for 3,5 to 1/4" cable if you have to use the phone as source.
There's absolutely no benefit going to balanced input via XLR since the iPhone has no balanced output.

Secondly, the iPhone SE is a great phone (have it and love the form factor), but audio quality is so-so.
Even a simple $45 TempoTec Sonata HD Pro dongle from Aliexpress is a significant improvement.
Something like the OPPO HA2SE would be another, big step up, I personally love the CHORD Mojo.
I have a $10k + stereo system and when I got the Mojo, I tested it in place of my $3k DAC and immediately kicked out the DAC and got a used CHORD 2Qute.
Long story short - the DAC makes a big difference IMO, but with the Yamaha MX5 I'd say even the Mojo is maybe overkill, but if you have funds available, get a DAC, it will be an improvement over the iPhone SE.

Third - wireless.
For convenience and SQ you could get an ES100, hook it up the the speakers and send digital audio via BT from your phone.
The ES100 even has a balanced output. BUT, the iPhone only supports lossy BT signal transmission, so you lose some quality. My wife has the ES100 and I find the SQ just ok, not great.
Better option might be something like a HiBy R3 Pro - a small DAP, which is very versatile. You can hook it up to the speakers and control it remotely from the iPhone via the HiBy Music App (download and use with your iPhone library to test).
You can of course use it as a DAP on the go, it has a basic Tidal and Qobuz support, can send or receive audio on BT... Nice little unit.
(I use it stacked with the Mojo for top SQ on the go)

Hope that helps!

May 8, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi,
Thank-you everybody for your useful ideas.

> the iPhone SE is a great phone
Agree so much. I bought two of these in case Apple stopped making them, and they did :) Also has a 3.5mm headphone jack. Phew.

> DAC in general
I have the funds and I can buy without sales tax (VAT) because music kit is written off as business.

> Yamaha MSP-5, DACs and overkill
This speaker is one I have lying around. It's not being used. Perhaps some day I'll buy a set of better active speakers. I do like the OPPO HA-2.

> BlueTooth
I shan't use BT from Apple until they have AptX and something better. This'll never happen with my iphone SE of course :)

> HiBy R3 Pro
This looks really good. Especially the 2.5mm balanced out.
- Can I use my iphone as a source over USB Audio? ( not BT) If it does this then I see little reason to use an OPPA HA-2.
- Can I stream Internet radio? ( WiFi music receiver ). I use Tunin.com and URLs copied into VLC on my iphone right now.
- Is there a cable to run 2.5mm balanced stereo to a single stereo XLR female? Not seen on Amazon, yet. The 3.5mm stereo unbalanced to since XLR are plentiful.

bland125 > Don't go 3.5mm to XLR, go with 3.5mm to 1/4...
and someone else> There's absolutely no benefit going to balanced input via XLR since the iPhone has no balanced output.

The 1/4" jacks on the Yamaha are balanced. Just like the XLR. Why choose 1/4" over XLR, which clip securly into place?

Meanwhile I have ordered a 3.5mm stereo to mono XLR cable from Amazon to try out. The cable cost 7 eurs.

Thanks all!

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 10
> BlueTooth
I shan't use BT from Apple until they have AptX and something better. This'll never happen with my iphone SE of course :)
--> It actually works, but I agree that it's not the best to use, you lose a little bit of SQ.

> HiBy R3 Pro
This looks really good. Especially the 2.5mm balanced out.
- Can I use my iphone as a source over USB Audio? ( not BT) If it does this then I see little reason to use an OPPA HA-2. --> HiBy R3 does not support this, and analog in makes little sense IMO. It would make sense though to be able to connect the iPhone digital out to the R3. Please ask this in the R3 Pro thread.
- Can I stream Internet radio? ( WiFi music receiver ). I use Tunin.com and URLs copied into VLC on my iphone right now. --> R3 has internet Radio but I never used it, implementation likely basic
- Is there a cable to run 2.5mm balanced stereo to a single stereo XLR female? Not seen on Amazon, yet. The 3.5mm stereo unbalanced to since XLR are plentiful.

bland125 > Don't go 3.5mm to XLR, go with 3.5mm to 1/4...
and someone else> There's absolutely no benefit going to balanced input via XLR since the iPhone has no balanced output.

The 1/4" jacks on the Yamaha are balanced. Just like the XLR. Why choose 1/4" over XLR, which clip securly into place?

Meanwhile I have ordered a 3.5mm stereo to mono XLR cable from Amazon to try out. The cable cost 7 eurs.

Thanks all!

May 8, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 10
A 1/4 inch jack is not balanced. The Yamaha specs says it is not. You need two 1/4 inch for balanced, one for left and one for right channel. It's not like your phone was going to output a balanced signal anyway.

For Bluetooth, Apple has AAC and while it's not aptX, I doubt you are going to notice much difference but it's your call.

May 8, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #9 of 10
Hi, Thank-you everybody for your useful ideas. bland125 > Don't go 3.5mm to XLR, go with 3.5mm to 1/4...

The 1/4" jacks on the Yamaha are balanced. Just like the XLR. Why choose 1/4" over XLR, which clip securely into place?
Meanwhile I have ordered a 3.5mm stereo to mono XLR cable from Amazon to try out. The cable cost 7 euros. Thanks all!
The Yamaha MSP5's 1/4" input jack is a unbalanced input (not a balanced jack)
So a 3.5mm TRS plug to dual 1/4" TS plugs would be the best cable to use.
But I'm guessing the 3.5mm to dual mono XLR cable should work.

May 10, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks. I hadn't noticed this because I have never used the 1/4" jack on the speaker.

HiBy said the iphone can be used as input to the R3 Pro via the USB-C connected.
I read the sound loose some sound stage and goes a little high compred from the line out compared to listening to headphones, but not a real problem. Am still awaiting HiBy to confirm if the R3 line out can be sent to the 2.5mm balanced instead of the 3.5mm unbalanced.

Also was very happy to fine a 130mmX95mm sized DAB+/FM tuner with SPDIF and RCA out from Technisat ( they also make satattlie equiment) called a DIGITRADIO 110 IR. So I want to try and use this as a source somehow for either the HiBy or the OPPO. I'm emailing them to ask if I can and how.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back