New to Audiopohile-ing: Keep Me Under $150?
Nov 20, 2009 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

HamSandwich

New Head-Fier
I have read some of the other posts regarding particular types of headphones (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rec...ubstep-452034/), however the reasons I need them and other factors might be a bit different. I didn’t want to repeat a similar post, but I am clueless as to where to start as far as fulfilling my criteria.

I’m new to the audiophile market, and over the past few months I’ve been getting more and more into music. I originally listened to mostly indie and some hardcore, but I feel that I’ve “expanded” my interests and branched out into other forms of music (lately, electronic). I have a cheap pair of no-name headphones (EarHugger), and recently the left headphone went out. I figured it was time to upgrade, and seeing as my new hobby is music (playing around with FL Studio, too), I figured I might as well upgrade to something of better caliber.

I’m not on too tight of a budget, but I would prefer to stay under $150. But, I wouldn’t mind getting as close to this number as possible, since I will have these for awhile. If need be, $200 would be the absolute max. I wanna get the most for my money. I’m reluctant to add an amp simply because it will cost more money (obviously) and I don’t know if I would be able to tell the difference in quality since I’m just getting into it. However, I do want some headphones I’m going to be keeping for years and years (I take good care of my headphones). But, if I must get an amp, I’m willing to go for it (just not a $150 amp or something, especially if it cost more than the phones). These will be exclusively for home use, as well, so portability is not a problem. Sound isolation isn’t a problem either, neither from external sound nor from my phones out into the environment. I live alone, so there is no problem with noise. They will be plugged into my soundcard (Sound Blaster Audigy). Don’t know for sure how powerful it is, but I figure just as much as most soundcards. Rarely, they might be plugged into an iPod/iPhone, but this will be few and far between, if at all. A long cord would be good (6’-10’), and I’d only be using an 1/8” plug. I’d be listening for hours, so something comfortable would be good. I’d prefer circum-aural to supra-, but I’m willing to go either way.

For music, I’ve recently been into a lot of electronic stuff (dubstep, DnB, IDM, industrial, trance, some glitch stuff) but also enjoy ambient/atmospheric music to listen to while at the computer or while staring at the dream machine (you should look into these if you haven’t—cool stuff). I have some indie music, though I don’t listen to it as much as I used to. I have very little rock and rap, so anything emphasizing these two genres is at the bottom of the priority list (though I hear Pink Floyd is good…so I might eventually give that a try
smily_headphones1.gif
). I have some music that has orchestrated parts in it, but I never listen to only orchestrated pieces, so a soundstage emphasizing that is not a big deal. I like good warm bass, too, but it doesn’t need to be overbearing and elongated, though. I’d like it to be sturdy and a bit punchy, but not overpowering the highs. Mids I’m on the fence with, and as long as they are audible, it works for me. I want highs but without a lot of semblance. Since I listen to electronic music that makes use of these (trance, IDM, glitch), I’d like them to have a crisp sound, but not edgy. I’d like an open sound, so open headphones would be nice (no need to close them since I’ll be listening at home), but if there’s a good pair of closed ones, don’t exclude them. I also game, but that really isn’t a big factor as far as sound goes for me (I don’t watch movies with headphones, so that isn’t important to me, either). Examples of artists include:
-Stendeck, Blonde Redhead, The Matches, Aphex Twin, Biosphere, Wisp, Zomby, Broker/Dealer, Burial, Scuba, Eluvium, Seefeel, Ochre, Autechre, Moon Wiring Club, Psapp, Reso.

I’ve looked at Grado sr80i’s and Sennheiser HD555’s. It seems the Grado’s wouldn’t do me justice as far as my criteria. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. I don’t really have access to any shops to listen to headphones (unless anyone knows some in the Baton Rouge/New Orleans, LA area, or in the Atlanta, GA area…please!), so I’d prefer to buy a pair and keep them instead of returning over and over (I feel odd about doing this to a business, anyway). However, if that must be the case, so be it.

Thank you!

-HamSandwich

Edit: Made a typo in the title---oops.

Nov 20, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 19
Probably the D1001.

Surprisingly the MS-1 (a Grado, modified) does very well with electronic, which I listen to quite a bit.

But I also listen to a lot of rock. If you're looking for bass with that electronic, I'd go with the D1001 or spring for their older brother D2000 (can get for $220 shipped lowest I think, somewhere). They're good solid headphones with good bass.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 19
Actually, SRH840s will fit your needs perfectly. Other than being a pair of closed headphones, they meet almost all your needs. Just got to look around for a pair at $150, not sure if any place has them on sale for that much anymore.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by azncookiecutter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, SRH840s will fit your needs perfectly. Other than being a pair of closed headphones, they meet almost all your needs. Just got to look around for a pair at $150, not sure if any place has them on sale for that much anymore.

I assume I can hook any cable into the headphone since the cable is detachable? Hope Shure doesn't make proprietary headphone ports (which would be lame, and unfeasible). That coiled cable would get on my nerves. Yea, it's 10 ft, but after its EXTENDED. Probably half that or less when coiled up. I'll be draping these phones around my computer and over my desk--I do not need a coiled cord at all. Plus, coiled is heavy--sort of defeats the purpose of long-listening phones.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adreneline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the D1001.

Surprisingly the MS-1 (a Grado, modified) does very well with electronic, which I listen to quite a bit.

But I also listen to a lot of rock. If you're looking for bass with that electronic, I'd go with the D1001 or spring for their older brother D2000 (can get for $220 shipped lowest I think, somewhere). They're good solid headphones with good bass.

nix the idea of getting the D2000 unless you plan on budgeting an amp to go with it.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by HamSandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume I can hook any cable into the headphone since the cable is detachable? Hope Shure doesn't make proprietary headphone ports (which would be lame, and unfeasible). That coiled cable would get on my nerves. Yea, it's 10 ft, but after its EXTENDED. Probably half that or less when coiled up. I'll be draping these phones around my computer and over my desk--I do not need a coiled cord at all. Plus, coiled is heavy--sort of defeats the purpose of long-listening phones.

There's no aftermarket cables available right now, and there seems to be a couple notches that keeps the cable locks in the cable, and a regular cable will not go in without some modification. I recall another member shaving down a connector to get a different cable to fit, so it can be done, just involves extra work. Don't know if you're will to go through all the trouble to do that though.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 19
It's not worth the trouble to gimp-out a cable to fit. Besides, that won't really give it a "clean" look and feel (at least to my own specifications). That's unfortunate Shure does that. I don't think I could live with an annoying coil cable bouncing around my desk/my arm/my leg/anything it ever touches, let alone if it makes noise every time it does hit something. But I guess that's the DJ-style preferred cord.

Are there any open phones that would work for me? It seems those generally give a "better" sound, and since isolation isn't a problem, I figured I might as well go that direction.

@Roker: Thanks for letting me know. Those are already out of my price range, and adding and amp to it would be way too much.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 19
I just bought the Shure srh840 for 150.00 shipped from JR Music, Their web site list them for 199 and tell you to call for lower price. Headroom will also match the price. You cant go wrong with the 840.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #11 of 19
I have owned many headphones ranging up to $700, and all of them highly rated.

I have now sold all but my GMP-8.300Ds (which I may also sell) and my Bose around-ears. For $120, the Bose do everything I need, and easily equal the performance of the much more expensive ones I have tried.

Nov 20, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #12 of 19
I just got some SRH840s at guitar center for $145 and picked them up in store. The website said they didn't have them in store (liars! =P) so I emailed them for a price match to Amazon ($150) and then took the link for my price match to the store that had them in stock and voila $145 for headphones that day, or they'll ship em for free.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 19
The srh840's look nice and apparently sound nice. The one thing that is still holding me back is the coiled cord. For a person sitting at a desk or lounging on the couch while listening to music, it seems the coiling is useless: I'm not shifting back and forth over distances a lot and need length at times and not other times. I'll always remain at a static distance away. Stretching the cord out to it's 10ft length would be difficult with the coil, obviously. I've searched for any feasible replacement, and the only thing I could do is fashion my own connector for it (which is not in my best interest).

Any other worth suggestions? Headphones that could use an amp but don't necessarily require it wouldn't be off my list, so if anyone can recommend those, it'd be nice.

I've looked at the 595's and found them for around $165, per suggestion by checkzy. How would those stack up?

I think circum-aural would be ideal, just for the "immersion" in the music effect, let alone comfort. Any other ideas?

Nov 22, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #15 of 19
I took a second look at the srh840's. The one thing that holds me back from them is the coiled cable. I'm worried it would be heavy or cumbersome when moving around or adjusting the headphones. It seems like it might weigh down one side of the headphones just because all the weight takes up a shorter area (thus weighing more in a single spot than if it were a straight cord that had the greater ability to lie on a table/floor). These headphones seem durable for long listening hours, but if I have to constantly readjust the phones on my head, that clearly would be a problem. I'll either be sitting or lying down to listen with them, so the cable will most likely be going out to one side as opposed to straight down to the floor. I'm wondering if that would somehow pull the phones away a bit. And I worry the coiled cable would get caught on the side of a desk when dragged across it.

Has anyone had decent experience with them? If so, can you tell me if the cord gets in the way because of its style as opposed to a straight cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back