New to audio, seeking advice on new Headphones.
Mar 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SoundOfKhaos

New Head-Fier
 Hey guys. I'll keep this short and sweet. My current headset (paltronics gamecom 377) are about dead and I want a new set of ears (no mic). Looking for general use. Movie's, music, gaming on the PC.. little bit of everything. I would like to keep it to around $70-ish or less.

Main feature's I'm looking for are: removable cable (not custom like sennheiser please), Comfy for long hours of usage, and around the ear style. Outside of that I'm totally up to suggestions. I have looked around and I think that the cheap mono price DJ headphones(link below) are about perfect, shockingly cheap too.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082302&p_id=8323&seq=1&format=2

Thanks for any help guys. Sorry for the noobish question:frowning2:

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 9
They're not removable cable, but have you looked at the Creative Aurvana Lives? They work well with Dolby Headphone for movies and gaming  apparently, though I've never heard them. They are in your price range though.

Mar 10, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #4 of 9
That's a touch order for the removable cable. I would sugguest the Pansonic htf-600. They are only about $35 and sound very good for the price. There is a massive thread here about them. No removable cable though :frowning2:

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Yea, I understand I can't have my cake and eat it too. I'm being a tad cheap ATM. My headphone's need to be replaced, and both my wife and my MP3 players broke recently..on top of that she wants a pair of new headphone's too lol. Kinda funny. I'm looking into both of your suggestions. I could spend closer to $150+ on a nice pair but that would mean a crap MP3 player and I kinda am looking at a low end PMP to replace the MP3 player. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
Any reason why a removable cable is necessary?  Are you afraid that you'll be to hard on a non detachable cable?  Non detachable open up a lot of possibilities.

Yes. I'm going to be using this set to replace my gamecom 377's as my "cheap" 24/7 usage phone's at my PC.  take them with me to all kinds of place's (lan partys and the like) and I tend to kill the cord pretty quick. I like the idea of being able to get a 3.5 m/m cable and problem solved. My cat also like's to chew though headphone cable's.... only headphone cables too....

Yea, I know I'm limiting myself alot with the removable cable bit. I could mod another set so the cable's are removeable but that's alot of work for a "cheap" set of ears. Later in the summer I plan to get a high end nice set of headphone's that will be treaded like gold. 

I have to have a few pairs at all time's:p

Mar 10, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
What kind of mp3 players are you looking at?  Cheap doesn't necessarily have to equate to crap :)

At the low end I'm looking at the ScanDisk Clip+ or the Zip. Leaning to the zip. 

Here is the breakdown. I'll have about 275 (maybe more) at the end of the month. My wife needs a pair of beater headphone's and I would like to get away from my dieing 377. Then the last MP3 player we had broke so we need 2 somewhat cheap ones. I also would like to try my hand at a Cmoy build, just for giggles.

Right now its looking like:
$55 or so to Monoprice for 2 of the headphone's I linked.(one for me one for her)
$50 or so for the Cmoy BB (I really want to build one just for giggles if anything else)
$80 minimum for the MP3 players. (thinking closer to 100-110 after shipping/tax)
That's anywhere from $185-210. Leave's some room for me to get a halfway decent IEM's maybe, or start saving for a real AMP and DAC later this summer.

I'm also looking into getting a higher end MP3 player, maybe even a PMP that can handle hi-def Mobile encodes for me and a zip/chip+ for her.

lol, sorry for the wall-o-text. Just trying to figure out the best way to achieve all that on a shoe string budget. Thank you guys so much for taking time of day to answer my silly questions:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back