New to Audio, looking for headphones around 300
Dec 9, 2014 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

jackstack10

Head-Fier
Hi, 
I've never really been an audiophile, but I do notice sound quality somewhat.  I think I may look into some headphones and a soundcard or some other hardware to improve my sound quality.  I play a lot of games, listen to a lot of music, and do watch some videos, so I'm looking for something very balanced.  I listen to a variety of music, a lot of rap, some alternative, some electronic, a lot of different stuff.  It can be a gaming headset, but I would preferably like something more quality in the sound area over the microphone area as my microphone will likely be used for talking to friends for the most part, so it only needs to be serviceable.  Should I go with a gaming headset or go with something else with better sound quality and get a detachable mic?  My price range is around 300 bucks, can I get some recommendations?  Thanks.  

Dec 10, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #2 of 29
  Hi, 
I've never really been an audiophile, but I do notice sound quality somewhat.  I think I may look into some headphones and a soundcard or some other hardware to improve my sound quality.  I play a lot of games, listen to a lot of music, and do watch some videos, so I'm looking for something very balanced.  I listen to a variety of music, a lot of rap, some alternative, some electronic, a lot of different stuff.  It can be a gaming headset, but I would preferably like something more quality in the sound area over the microphone area as my microphone will likely be used for talking to friends for the most part, so it only needs to be serviceable.  Should I go with a gaming headset or go with something else with better sound quality and get a detachable mic?  My price range is around 300 bucks, can I get some recommendations?  Thanks.  

Would you rather have it for gaming, or music?

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 29
Open-back headphones = better sound stage and more expansive sound, downsides are no isolation and people can hear what you're listening to.

Closed-back headphones = isolate the wearer from the environment and the environment from the wearer, can provide more bass impact, but the downside is a more closed-in sound (smaller sound stage and such).

Some headphones you might want to consider are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, SoundMagic HP200, AKG Q701, AKG K7xx from Massdrop if they become available again.  I also recommend pairing your headphone choice with the Creative Sound Blaster Z.

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #7 of 29
Open-back headphones = better sound stage and more expansive sound, downsides are no isolation and people can hear what you're listening to.

Closed-back headphones = isolate the wearer from the environment and the environment from the wearer, can provide more bass impact, but the downside is a more closed-in sound (smaller sound stage and such).

Some headphones you might want to consider are the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ohm, SoundMagic HP200, AKG Q701, AKG K7xx from Massdrop if they become available again.  I also recommend pairing your headphone choice with the Creative Sound Blaster Z.

Okay, thanks for the explanation and recs. Im open to either suggestion to be honest but closed sounds a little better for my use.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #8 of 29
Okay, thanks for the explanation and recs. Im open to either suggestion to be honest but closed sounds a little better for my use.

For closed headphones, you probably can't go wrong with the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro or maybe the SoundMagic HP150.  Are you looking for bass heavy headphones?

As for a microphone, you could get the AntLion ModMic with any of these headphones.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 29

For closed headphones, you probably can't go wrong with the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro or maybe the SoundMagic HP150.  Are you looking for bass heavy headphones?

As for a microphone, you could get the AntLion ModMic with any of these headphones.

Not exactly bass heavy, but solid, not overpowering bass.

I would recommend the AD900x's for the best open backed headphone with an emphasis on soundstage and gaming, the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, for being a very good all rounder for your closed back option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back