New to audio here. I really, really need help into my quest for better audio for game and music (better headphones). Thanks!
Jan 6, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #31 of 36
Can't wait to hear what they can do!
Tried the meze for gaming (fallout 4) and directional audio wasn't great, but that was without any digital sound processing whatsoever and it was still pretty good. What was great was overall immersion. The sound is very natural, and it's a really great experience overall.
Will try with digital surround soon. Most likely tonight. Hopefully the positioning will be better, even though it wasn't horrible to begin with.

The meze sound really good actually! I like that they give natural sounds. It puts me curiosity into my inner self. I think I may try those someday. But I am curious. Are you using the meze with an external soundcard/amp? or are those connected right into the onboard? I think those may be into a soundcard because of the digital surround sound, but I may be wrong.

Sounds badass so far, let me know more if you can. Those sound interesting.

I also let you guys know about the X2 Fidelio. I had seen some reviews of them on YouTube, and zero complaints. Except for something regarding the mixture of audio on left and rights from a reviewer (fixed with a plugin). But other than that. Everybody seems to love the Fidelios. Can't wait to test them out!

PL4YER, also. I am curious, what do you think about this card called. SoundBlaster Z? This one in specific. "Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe 116dB SNR Gaming Sound Card with 600ohm Headphone Amp and Beamforming Microphone". I am watching that one on Newegg atm, and it's discounted from 119usd to 69usd. Kind of curious. What do you think about that one?

Wish you good and send you regards!
AQ

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #32 of 36
  The Sennheiser probably sounds better, Astro just doesn't have that level of reputation.
However, brand new, the Sennheiser costs $100 more than the Astro so it mostly comes downs to price

​Hi Nemo! I have a couple of questions.

Please answer them if you have some time. It would be extremely appreciated.

It is regarding a sound card, and amps. The card is called Sound Blaster Z.

1.- What do you think about the Sound Blaster Z? this one in specific "Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe 116dB SNR Gaming Sound Card with 600ohm Headphone Amp and Beamforming Microphone". It is kind of cheap atm probably. $69.99 on Newegg while normally it's $119.99. It is taunting me to pull the trigger. But I have extremely minimal knowledge on amps or soundcards.

2.- Against an amp. In case the Sound Blaster Z is good. Is better to get an amp or a soundcard? I see that Creative Sound Blaster actually drives 5.1 and 7.1.

3.- Do I really need an amp to drive the Fidelio X2? in case I keep them. I saw in a research that the Fidelios actually don't need an amp at all because of the ohm impedance, but I may be wrong.

4.- What difference will it make on the Fidelios if I get a soundcard or an amp? As for example hmm. Will the bass be more powerful? or explosions may sound more badass?

Thanks in advance for the amazing guidance, and regards,
AQ

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #33 of 36
The meze sound really good actually! I like that they give natural sounds. It puts me curiosity into my inner self. I think I may try those someday. But I am curious. Are you using the meze with an external soundcard/amp? or are those connected right into the onboard? I think those may be into a soundcard because of the digital surround sound, but I may be wrong.

Sounds badass so far, let me know more if you can. Those sound interesting.

I also let you guys know about the X2 Fidelio. I had seen some reviews of them on YouTube, and zero complaints. Except for something regarding the mixture of audio on left and rights from a reviewer (fixed with a plugin). But other than that. Everybody seems to love the Fidelios. Can't wait to test them out!

PL4YER, also. I am curious, what do you think about this card called. SoundBlaster Z? This one in specific. "Creative Sound Blaster Z PCIe 116dB SNR Gaming Sound Card with 600ohm Headphone Amp and Beamforming Microphone". I am watching that one on Newegg atm, and it's discounted from 119usd to 69usd. Kind of curious. What do you think about that one?

Wish you good and send you regards!
AQ

I'm using them directly from my Alienware 17 R3, but it has a soundblaster Recon 3Di (even though I can't find specs for them anywhere) and using the surround that is part of the SBX pro studio software that came with it.
Yes it sounds really good to me. The surround software really helped out with positioning. If only there was a cable that had a length between the two provided (short and 3m) it would be near perfect for the price.
About that sound card, I don't know much about that aspect of the sound (just got my headphones into mid-fi) but my experience with sound blaster so far is good. The software is really good (albeit with some really gimmicky things) and it sounds really good. I see that particular card is one I see reccomended quite often. I'd look into it, that seems like a good price.

Jan 6, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #34 of 36
I'm using them directly from my Alienware 17 R3, but it has a soundblaster Recon 3Di (even though I can't find specs for them anywhere) and using the surround that is part of the SBX pro studio software that came with it.
Yes it sounds really good to me. The surround software really helped out with positioning. If only there was a cable that had a length between the two provided (short and 3m) it would be near perfect for the price.
About that sound card, I don't know much about that aspect of the sound (just got my headphones into mid-fi) but my experience with sound blaster so far is good. The software is really good (albeit with some really gimmicky things) and it sounds really good. I see that particular card is one I see reccomended quite often. I'd look into it, that seems like a good price.

Thanks PL4AY3R for the input! it's really appreciated :).

I'll let you know how it goes with the X2 after some testing around the arrive date. If you have some time, let us know how it goes with the meze for gaming.

Regards,
AQ

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #35 of 36
The cans arrived! Gibson ones, no glue. Everything fine so far.

I had been doing tests with many games and music. I wanted to make a review, but I am not an audiophile, and I have no golden ear. I will just make some comparisons between the jump I did, and a really small summarization of what's happening so far. Note that this is coming from my own and personal opinion and experience.

Past sound: Logitech G633 Artemis Spectrum
Current cans: Phillips Fidelio X2 - Tested for around three to five hours from when this post was made.
Audio: Onboard, Z87-PRO V-EDITION https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87PROV_EDITION/specifications/ has Realtek® ALC1150.

First of all. I put them on, and they are extremely comfortable. I love that, thing that I didn't cared in the first place. I just wanted good audio. They have a really interesting warm sound too.

Current test time was for around three to five hours. From when this post was made, I had tried some games. So far, the most interesting ones:
- Counter Strike Global Offensive
- DOOM 2016
- Battlefield 4
- EA Star Wars Battlefront

Playing with the ASUS Realtek HD Audio Manager did improved some sounds. Tried the "Powerful" equalizer on EA Battlefront and damn. Every shot felt just as the EQ says... POWERFUL. In games like DOOM and CS GO, every weapon feels more "realistic" and powerful. DOOM 2016 really shines on that. The bass is... not super good, but it does not disappoint at all. It is not that powerful in my opinion. Maybe I am a basshead, and I didn't knew. Bass is not so bad, but sometimes it leaves a little bit to desire. The Logitech G633 surprisingly had more bass. So, in comparison there. Note. I knew what I was getting into to. Just a point I wanted to make.

Heard some music too. Hard rock, folk rock, chill step, bass heavy music, instrumental music and classical, it feels more alive but not perfect at all. Movies sound badass, every detail is there. I think the issue here is that the cans need more usage. I just feel like that is what is happening at moment with them. They don't sound so impressive at all. They sound in some areas better than what I had, that's for sure. It feels OK, but not amazingly good. Still, for the price I paid. I was not expecting magic at all. They sound OK (better than my Logitech), but not super amazing in my opinion. (My expectations were quite high also. It was my fault on here. I also read too many positive reviews. But I am not disappointed.)

Some comparisons between both. Two key points. (These may sound silly because of the stigma on Gaming Headsets.) First, there is something between both. The headset compared with the X2 has a key detail. On the X2, it doesn't matter if you go from bass to high, or from high to bass. The transition is so smooth, zero distortion. In the other hand, the G633 has a weird transition of tonality. After hearing my X2. I can't really stand that anymore on the Logitech headset x_x. Now, I detect that changes, and they are a little bit annoying. Gifted those to my brother. He literally doesn't care about audio, but I do plan to get him a pair of X2 in the future too.

The other key detail is that positioning is not super great on the X2 compared to the virtual dolby of the Logitech for GAMING. Not an issue, since I now have more clear and nice detail on the audio. Everything feels more "real". But not too much. Footsteps were a little bit hard to hear on CS GO than with the Logitech. Also, I have this issue in which I can't really detect what is in the back of where I am at all. It is a little bit hard to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. But I had been using the Logitech with the virtual dolby sound for maybe half a year by now. I have to let my ears lose the preference there because I think that's the issue. I need more time with the X2.

Note on this second one that I also tried the DTS Ultra PC II from my onboard audio. Used the surround option, but still. The pinpoint feels really odd on the back of where my character is in any game. I may need to use them more and get used to it. Maybe it's an issue with me. I also understand that I am using stereo headphones. As for past suggestions, I think I need an amp to fix that. But it's not totally needed. I like the sound in stereo at moment. Something really nice tho. It's that the audio feels amazingly great when coming from front, left and right. When one does a 360 movement, it feels so natural. On the Logitech it felt like a series of cues that catted themselves on a series of spaces with Dolby on. Note 2. I would not trade that natural feeling for the Logitech Virtual surround. Hmm, sometimes the sounds are nicer actually on the virtual surround from Logitech. More harsh and accurate. But, I think I would not trade the actual natural feeling of the X2 from front, left and right for the entire 7.1 virtual software surround. I just wish the X2 had good pinpoint from my backwards position of the player. Else, everything is fine.

Build quality is so good. The cans feel amazing at touch, and are extremely comfortable. I know they are on my head, but they feel nice. The cable came extremely in handy because of the size. I have a weird rig that requieres some space, and the cable nailed it for distance.

So far, I felt like I did a jump like this. I was on a scale of a 10. Logitech g633 was a 5/10 and the jump to the X2 got me into a 8/10. The cans are not perfect. I just wish they had more bass, but I knew what I was getting into. Still! those are really good. I love that silk smooth transition between low ends to high ends. It's just so pleasant.

That is what I experienced so far. In the end, I like them. I just think I need to use them more and get used to them. I am not considering returning them at all. Just a 10% of me says. Return them and get something else. But I do believe it may be that I need an amp to get more powah out of them.

So this was it so far. I really ask you to please pardon me for my English, content and if my opinion annoyed you. I am not an audiophile. I don't plan to be one. I play games for fun and enjoy things like music and movies. The pair is good so far to me. Not perfect, but good. If things get better or if I decide to return them. I will update the thread. Also, if you are a newbie and you are watching this thread. Don't take my points as main. Like I said, this is just from personal experience and my own opinion so far. Plus, I am not an pro audio guy. The Fidelios X2 are my first pair of headphones.

Thank you so much to everybody that helped me on this quest! I am not sure if I may need anything else, but I do appreciate your time and help a lot guys. Thanks a ton!

P.S: I may really need an amp to make these X2 shine and get them up to a 10/10 or a 9/10. Not sure at all.

In resume: HAPPY SO FAR. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND ADVICE GUYS. IT IS EXTREMELY APPRECIATED! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST! :)

Jan 13, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 36

​Hi PL4Y3R!

I made an update of my experience so far on the previous post. Take a look at it when you have some time :).

Regards!
AQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back