New to audio here. I really, really need help into my quest for better audio for game and music (better headphones). Thanks!
Jan 5, 2017 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

AudioQuest69

Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

recently I am struggling a lot to choose a new pair of headphones. What I basically want is something for gaming and music. Most for gaming, but I also want to "feel" the music.

A little bit of my background, and current situation. I play thousands of games, almost all kind of genres. (fps a lot, rpgs, mmos, etc.) I hear a ton of classic rock, classic music, orchestra, instrumental, hard rock, metal, heavy metal, and new stuff such as dubstep from time to time, house and another electronic genres.

So far, today I am here because a person told me about this page because it is the best about audio. He told me to come here for advice and guidance. I am kind of lost at the moment. The past couple of days I had been doing research about headphones, but there is so much out there. I am kind of confused at the moment.

So far, I am considering Sennheiser. I am looking at the HD598 or the Game One headset. I went to try some models at Walmart and Best Buy, but nothing has satisfied that sound I am looking for. So far tried models there with brands on Sony, Audiotechnica, and some other weird names. Tried some of the 300+ dollars range, and nope. They sound really weird, almost like if the sounds were kind of forced.

What I want in my audio. I want my sounds to feel "real" and crispy (real as the most natural possible). I want my sounds to not feel fake. I also need my sounds to feel like they are there in-game to be able to tell where a person is. (Surround 7.1 if possible.). I am also looking for a big soundstage if possible. I also need a deep bass. Something that when explosions kick in in-game, or a grenade. I am able to feel that power that emanates from the bass. I am not sure how real this can be, but something similar if possible, or kind of close to this. I don't consider myself a basshead, I just want a powerful bass for those kind of situations/games or bassy music.

Regarding music. As for example when hearing an orchestra, or lets say. The Lord of the Rings recordings on flac. I want the instruments to feel kind of natural if possible. Not sure how real this can be, but I want to hear the audio as natural as possible for the budget. Something that feels crispy and kind of real. Powerful to say it like that.

Also, a microphone is not needed. I just use it 1% of my gaming sessions, so definitely. If I can get a better audio for my money. I want that. The microphone can be avoided.

Budget. ​I would like to spend $300 dollars maximum on my audio right now. $200 would be superb. But I do believe that if it is worth it to me. I can go higher, but $300 would be my max for audio.

What I have right now.
- Confusion
- I have onboard audio. My motherboard is an Asus Z87-pro v-edition. Kind of old by now. I heard on the research that I may really need an amplifier to take all the power from the headphones. Which I also don't know which one in case I need one. Any tips would be extremely appreciated.
- Also, I have a pair of gaming headphones. The Logitech artermis spectrum G633. This were superb back then when I didn't noticed certain things on the audio, or didn't care, but nowadays. They lack something. Sounds start to feel unnatural from time to time, and I barely can "feel" any kind of music from them.

I also would like or love to know for example, against a Sennheiser, in which model they may fall. Just as an example, it doesn't need to be accurate. It may also be incredible silly to compare Logitech with Sennheiser in terms of audio. Just to give me an idea of what I have. I also know that gaming headphones most of the times suck because of the price/quality ratio. Especially pointing their built-in mics.

As a resume of everything. I need/want:
- Powerful bass in-game and music for lets say. 10% of usage.
- Rich and crispy, "real" feeling music and instruments.
- Good soundstage, 7.1 if possible.
- The ability to use the headphones for classic rock and music, but also for modern music.

What I do with audio.
- 10% bass stuff
- 30% music - hard rock, classic rock, classic music, tons of metal, dubstep, house, indie, folk-rock, post-hardcore, doom-metal, etc.
- 60% gaming of all kinds. Fps, mmos, rpgs, godmodes, rts, almost all kinds of stuff.

I hope you guys can help this fella, because I am extremely confused and lost. I almost pulled the trigger to get the following, also got recommendations in-game. Saw some reviewers too such as LinusTechTips, HardwareCanucks and TechStuff.
- Sennheiser Game One
- Sennheiser HD598
- Audiotechnica m50x
- V-Moda m-100
- Beyerdynamic dt990

Best Regards and a deep thanks for the bottom of my heart,
AQ

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #3 of 36
My opinion is that headphones that are labeled as "gaming headphones" are a gimmick or otherwise not worth their price considering their performance. But it sounds like you really want speakers.

"Feel the bass", "surround sound", etc. There's no such thing as "7.1" headphones. The 7 means seven speakers and the .1 means one subwoofer. For headphones there's two speakers: one on each of your ears. There's no subwoofer, so you don't get deep sub-bass. Note that some headsets are called 5.1. They are a gimmick.

Try the Philips Fidelio X2 headphones and see if you like them. If you don't, you probably actually want a speaker setup.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 36
If you want one device for all your needs, is it headphones or a headset?
You can buy headphones and then and a mic to the headphones or on your desk if you want.

Would you prefer open or closed-back?

7.1 surround would get you better 3D tracking in games but it will come at the sacrifice of sound quality and soundstage, I'd only recommend it for FPS.  If you want, I can look for headphones with great soundstage but I need to know if you want 7.1 or stereo.

Just some questions to let us tailor our choices to your needs

-Nemo

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #5 of 36

​I am actually in love with speakers, but unfortunately I live in a condo. I can't crank up the volume to max. I also saw the Fidelio multiple times hmm. I think that may be what I am looking for.

Also, do I need any amp to drive those?

Thanks for your reply.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 36
​I am actually in love with speakers, but unfortunately I live in a condo. I can't crank up the volume to max. I also saw the Fidelio multiple times hmm. I think that may be what I am looking for.

Also, do I need any amp to drive those?

Thanks for your reply.

I recommended the X2 because they are comfortable, have a sound you could describe as "fun" [usually means you can feel the bass to some extent], and are easy to drive, meaning you can plug them into your computer's headphone out and they should be fine. The X2, or any headphone, will sound better if you buy a more sophisticated digital to analog converter (DAC) and amplifier. But you may be satisfied without taking that step. I recommend reading around, search the forum for older threads with similar questions as yours. Good luck.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 36
I don't really care about the microphone at the moment. If I can get better audio by sacrificing the microphone, I'm game. So, headphones preferably if better.

I think I would prefer closed, but I don't mind to have open-back.

Hmm, but if I don't have 7.1. Is there any chance that I can pin-point from where the audio is coming? I am a little bit worried about that. Sorry about my ignorance on the matter. I know just a little bit about how it may be. So far, I had been using the virtual dolby from the Logitech g633 software. I believe Razer provides a similar approach, but in the end. If I can get way better audio, by sacrificing the 7.1, but being able to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. I am all in to let the virtual 7.1 go away.

Thanks Nemo! let me know if you need more information.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:36 PM Post #8 of 36

T​hanks a44! your suggestion sounds badass. I will definitely be looking around and reading reviews about the Fidelio X2.

Also, just before you go. Only reply if you have time. 

1.- Is there any amp you can recommend to me to drive the Fidelios way better?

2.- In terms of audio, like in a sentence or two. How are the Fidelio X2 compared to the Sennheisers HD598 for my needs?

Thanks again, badass advice. appreciated a thousand :)

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 36
  If you want one device for all your needs, is it headphones or a headset?
You can buy headphones and then and a mic to the headphones or on your desk if you want.

Would you prefer open or closed-back?

7.1 surround would get you better 3D tracking in games but it will come at the sacrifice of sound quality and soundstage, I'd only recommend it for FPS.  If you want, I can look for headphones with great soundstage but I need to know if you want 7.1 or stereo.

Just some questions to let us tailor our choices to your needs

-Nemo

Hi Nemo! this is a re-post of my previous reply. I am still figuring out how the reply system works. I didn't seem to quote your reply. Not sure if you saw it.

But here it is again.

"I don't really care about the microphone at the moment. If I can get better audio by sacrificing the microphone, I'm game. So, headphones preferably if better.

I think I would prefer closed, but I don't mind to have open-back.

Hmm, but if I don't have 7.1. Is there any chance that I can pin-point from where the audio is coming? I am a little bit worried about that. Sorry about my ignorance on the matter. I know just a little bit about how it may be. So far, I had been using the virtual dolby from the Logitech g633 software. I believe Razer provides a similar approach, but in the end. If I can get way better audio, by sacrificing the 7.1, but being able to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. I am all in to let the virtual 7.1 go away.

Thanks Nemo! let me know if you need more information.
"

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 36
I recommended the X2 because they are comfortable, have a sound you could describe as "fun" [usually means you can feel the bass to some extent], and are easy to drive, meaning you can plug them into your computer's headphone out and they should be fine. The X2, or any headphone, will sound better if you buy a more sophisticated digital to analog converter (DAC) and amplifier. But you may be satisfied without taking that step. I recommend reading around, search the forum for older threads with similar questions as yours. Good luck.

Hi A44! this is a re-post of my previous post. I didn't seem to quote properly. Here it is.

"T​hanks a44! your suggestion sounds badass. I will definitely be looking around and reading reviews about the Fidelio X2.

Also, just before you go. Only reply if you have time. 

1.- Is there any amp you can recommend to me to drive the Fidelios way better?

2.- In terms of audio, like in a sentence or two. How are the Fidelio X2 compared to the Sennheisers HD598 for my needs?

Thanks again, badass advice. appreciated a thousand :)"

Sorry about that, thanks again!

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 36
I also almost pulled the trigger for the Astros A50 on BestBuy for $300 dollars, but did a quick research while there and found this.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770628/astro-a50-vs-astro-a40-vs-sennheiser-g4me-zero-for-csgo-games

It made me reconsider it, and I didn't ended buying those as-well.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #12 of 36
Regarding the concept of "imaging" which is what I think you're asking about when you ask about in-game sounds... I don't see why not, especially with digital surround filters that are employed in some games. I am pretty sure I was able to hear some level of direction using a crappy headset on an a Xbox 360 playing call of duty seven years ago or whenever that was. But the better your digital to analog converter is the easier this sense of imaging will be. You know what people say: "garbage in, garbage out", and since you can't control the quality of the recordings used within the games themselves, you can control the quality of your digital to analog converter. But you may not need to buy an external DAC. So I think it's something you're just going to have to try for yourself. Get some headphones and plug them in and play a game and see if direction imaging is something you can still pick up on without speakers.

I searched and found this for you. http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/

Ctrl + F "chicolom" in that thread and find his FAQ. That should answer your questions.

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #13 of 36
Regarding the concept of "imaging" which is what I think you're asking about when you ask about in-game sounds... I don't see why not, especially with digital surround filters that are employed in some games. I am pretty sure I was able to hear some level of direction using a crappy headset on an a Xbox 360 playing call of duty seven years ago or whenever that was. But the better your digital to analog converter is the easier this sense of imaging will be. You know what people say: "garbage in, garbage out", and since you can't control the quality of the recordings used within the games themselves, you can control the quality of your digital to analog converter. But you may not need to buy an external DAC. So I think it's something you're just going to have to try for yourself. Get some headphones and plug them in and play a game and see if direction imaging is something you can still pick up on without speakers.

I searched and found this for you. http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/

Ctrl + F "chicolom" in that thread and find his FAQ. That should answer your questions.

Thank you again a44!

this answered so many questions. I will definitely check the Fidelio X2 and the AD700.

Wish you the best,
AQ

Jan 5, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #14 of 36
I've never listened to the X2, the only things I know about them are that they are highly rated and loved by many.

I do however have a pair of headphones from Sennheiser HD 5__ range and I can say they are great
They are all very similar so what applies to one applies to all, the 558 and 598 actually have the same drivers

The 5__ series does sound very clear and natural, that's what I like about them.  The open-back effect is a whole new level of "natural" in your music.  Their bass, I find, is deep and clear, however not loud.  It's the opposite of in-your-face bass, but it does sound deep and real.

One thing I notice on Head-fi repeatedly, is that when someone comes asking about headphones for gaming, %50 of the time I see the Sennheiser HD 5__ being most recommended.  Why?  This is due to some of the innovations inside the ear-cups, as well as their unbeatable quality/price ratio.

3 headphone innovations set the HD 5__ apart from similarly priced competitors.  The E.A.R., the Duofol Diaphrams, and (my favorite) the "surround cups"
The EAR (eargonomic acoustic refinement) means the speakers are angled towards your ears, making it sound more natural because the audio hits your ear directly.
The Duofol Diaphrams get rid of any unwanted noise or echo.  Again, making the music more natural.
The Surround Cup reflect the audio from the drivers all around your ear so it sounds more like surround sound than stereo.

The moment I put them (in my case the HD 558) on, I could tell the music sounded like it was all around me, excellent soundstage.  Which is why these are so highly recommended for gamers!

Don't get me wrong, the Sennheiser HD 5__ are not the only headphones on the market, and there are plenty of fantastic competitors, like the Philips Fidelio X2.  However, I don't feel you will be let down by these Senn's.  Just bear in mind they ARE all open back, except for the 598 cs.

Hope this could help,
-Nemo

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 36
  I've never listened to the X2, the only things I know about them are that they are highly rated and loved by many.

I do however have a pair of headphones from Sennheiser HD 5__ range and I can say they are great
They are all very similar so what applies to one applies to all, the 558 and 598 actually have the same drivers

The 5__ series does sound very clear and natural, that's what I like about them.  The open-back effect is a whole new level of "natural" in your music.  Their bass, I find, is deep and clear, however not loud.  It's the opposite of in-your-face bass, but it does sound deep and real.

One thing I notice on Head-fi repeatedly, is that when someone comes asking about headphones for gaming, %50 of the time I see the Sennheiser HD 5__ being most recommended.  Why?  This is due to some of the innovations inside the ear-cups, as well as their unbeatable quality/price ratio.

3 headphone innovations set the HD 5__ apart from similarly priced competitors.  The E.A.R., the Duofol Diaphrams, and (my favorite) the "surround cups"
The EAR (eargonomic acoustic refinement) means the speakers are angled towards your ears, making it sound more natural because the audio hits your ear directly.
The Duofol Diaphrams get rid of any unwanted noise or echo.  Again, making the music more natural.
The Surround Cup reflect the audio from the drivers all around your ear so it sounds more like surround sound than stereo.

The moment I put them (in my case the HD 558) on, I could tell the music sounded like it was all around me, excellent soundstage.  Which is why these are so highly recommended for gamers!

Don't get me wrong, the Sennheiser HD 5__ are not the only headphones on the market, and there are plenty of fantastic competitors, like the Philips Fidelio X2.  However, I don't feel you will be let down by these Senn's.  Just bear in mind they ARE all open back, except for the 598 cs.

Hope this could help,
-Nemo

​Sweeet, this sounds so good. I also had been doing research the past couple of days, and yeah. I hear a lot about Sennheiser. Especially the HD5 series. I am extremely curious about them. I just wish there was a place around here to try them.

I really want to try Sennheisers. Those were my first option, and I love how you describe them because they sound like what I am looking for. It nails all the points I am seeking from audio.

I will discard the AD700, I think the Sennheisers will take that place. So currently, my via to choose is Fidelio X2 and a pair of Sennheisers.

Nemo, I have a couple of questions. Please answer them if you have time. I would love to hear about them.

- Personally and for my needs, which one you would recommend to me Nemo? Like, one that you can say. This guy needs these pair. 

- Also, I heard that the Game One and Game Zero fall into the category of the HD5 series. Is that true? In this case it would be wise to go for one of the Game series, or straight into the HD5 series.

Thank you so, so much. Your explanation made me find the way. I am getting closer and closer to what I need and want. :)

AQ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back