New supraaural headphones from Thinksound: On1.
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #122 of 158
No, I haven't, I asked Tyll Hertsens who had both at hand and he gave me the nod. Pads, ear-pads.

cool thanks for the tip. I am intrigued to try them, as the original pads get a little bit too warm in the summer. Did Tyll also say something about change of sound using the velour pads, compared to the original?

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #124 of 158
Picked up a pair of these from a little while ago as they were on sale for an amazing price in my country.

I really love their sound, and pairing it with Meridian Explorer for a great combo! A slight EQ down in base and up in treble make them really sing.

I must say that the build quality is rather sub par for the price, and the ear cups seem to be rather easily nicked, which is disappointing. Overall I'm very impressed with the sound, but now I've got an itch for an open back pair of phones!

Jul 19, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #125 of 158
I have had these for a while now and i use them twice a daw during my 1h+1h commute. So, a long time. Been through the plastic clip replacement (early models, excellent customer support from Thinksound), and now through earpad replacement (got it in 2 days from the US to Europe !).
Before these i had a lot of other portable earphones including the very great Audio Technica ESW9. Having woodies at home i know how wood sounds so much better than plastic or anything else for that matter, so the ESW9 was a natural choice, but that plastic part holding the earcups ended up broken before too long :frowning2:
Looking for another woody that would suit me but not break up after intensive usage (i use them on the tram, train, plane..) found reviews of these interesting earphones. They look maybe not as refined as the "earsuits" from AT, but still practical and the wood grain is a nice touch.
I submit them to a lot of daily torture and so far they are holding quite well, the torn earpad was my fault. The braided cables are definitely a no-walk proposition as any movement will be heard clearly, for people who want to walk around with these better get a rubber cable instead.

Cable microphonics aside, they are quite good sounding for small on-ear portable thingies. They give a good, wide sound reproduction with rich and clear bass, and everything up to cymbals is there and accounted for. Of course dont expect the scene wideness of sedentary open-back monsters or the pure clarity of amplified full size woodies.. these are just on-ear small earcups ! Once you adjust your expectations (like not having perfect sound in a noisy, crowded commute...) they are impressive. As far as portable+foldable earphones go, i tried a lot of things, they are clearly on top, even the ESW9 is not as good.

I listen to metal, stoner/doom, classic, blues and electronica. I see no weak point sound wise for these headphones on any of these styles of music.

Oh and double thumbs up for the customer support, really premium. Just for that, they deserve more sales. Go for it, you wont be disappointed.

PS @Thinksound: for the ON2, please replace those plastic thingies holding the rotation axis for the cups, with proper metal. These are clearly a weak point.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #126 of 158
Please note: Try before you buy.  Fit on these over ear headphones can be very uncomfortable.  I can wear my Sennheiser Momentums for numerous hours without an issue.  The On1 deliver a serious top of the head hot spot in very little time.

Aug 12, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #128 of 158
  Please note: Try before you buy.  Fit on these over ear headphones can be very uncomfortable.  I can wear my Sennheiser Momentums for numerous hours without an issue.  The On1 deliver a serious top of the head hot spot in very little time.

Maybe use the pads of your momentum for the on1? From my imagination it should also work well soundwise
biggrin.gif

I'd be more than thankful if you could try it out and tell us if it works?

sry dude never mind. I mixed something up... thought you have the urbanites... but you have the momentum....sry!

Sep 9, 2015 at 2:43 AM Post #129 of 158
So here's my mini-review after owning the Thinksound ON1 for almost a week.

The build quality is good but seems a tad fragile, has a unique appearance and the wooden cups seem about 15% larger than other on-ears such as DT-1350 and Momentums.

Sound presentation: Robust, lively, musical, colored, exaggerated boomy basshead-grade bass, v-shaped and 'in your face'.

The soundstage is fairly good for an on-ear, but still mediocre. The dynamics are fairly punchy and good realistic sounding (except with the bass flaw as noted below), and all the frequencies are reproduced from high to low.

My problem with this headphone is about the bass presentation and energetic treble. These headphones IMO and IIRC, seem like a perfect blend between Sennheiser Momentum and Beats Solo, especially in regards to these two elements:
  1. The bass is HIGHLY exaggerated on a grand scale. After testing these with 4 different sources including two portable amps on various gain settings, and with many dozens of songs of various genres, I have determined the bass to be excessively exagerrated by at least 8 db, and at the same time has a very slow / boomy and colored sound.
  2. The upper mids and especially the treble have a sound that, while seems portrayed faithfully across the frequency rage, is very energetic / hyper... perhaps like the way one could imagine the treble of the Stax SR-09 would sound if it were being driven from an iPod nano with a nearly dead battery: detailed, yet very hyper like an annoying kid; causing listening fatigue even with a treble reduction.

I can get a fairly enjoyable listen from these with a massive bass reduction from 250 - 60hz and an added compressor plug-in - and still these do sound much more detailed than the DT-1350, but still the thought of upgrading to another on-ear 'can never ceases while listening.

Dec 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM Post #131 of 158
Can these be run balanced (with a balanced cable)? Thanks.

Feb 5, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #135 of 158
The PM3 doesn't really have a solid low end and needs a lot of power to really sing while the On1 punches well and has a really smooth signature compared to the more neutralish PM3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back