New Sub Sponsored area -Info on iMod Cables Here
May 30, 2007 at 7:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51
iMod and related product information here; please feel free to post comments or ask question regarding ALO wares. Below is a description of some of the iMod cables we are offering.

So with that in mind if anyone has any questions relative to ALO please fire away and I think its safe for me to post here and be a bit more descriptive.

Thanks!

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
May 30, 2007 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 51
I think now you can tell us more about your new 5.5G iMod dock cables. BTW different prices of new cables are because sound signature or matterial you use(or both)
biggrin.gif
?.

May 30, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #3 of 51
Great to see that some of you sponsors now have got your own sub forum.

Some more information about the different 5G iMod dock cables would be welcome. Like how they compare sound wise.

May 30, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Some more information about the different 5G iMod dock cables would be welcome. Like how they compare sound wise.

Hey Guys,

I am working on doing this. This is actually very good because I think its okay to post want I have one the bench in terms of what is coming, great news. Let me gather some more info and post this later tonight.

BRB

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 31, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #5 of 51
All,

Ken informed me that the 5G/5.5G iMod thread has been moved to this ALO Audio Sub-Forum on Head-fi.

I will be glad to answer questions on Ken's forum about the iMod (4G as well as 5G/5.5G).

Of course, the Portable Audio Forum and other Head-fi Forums are still fine for posting impressions/comments about the iMod, but questions about the iMod (that are directed to me and/or Ken) should be posted here so we do not violate any of the Head-Fi rules. We both respect and appreicate this site and everyone who has been very supportive to us, and want to make sure that we follow the Head-Fi rules.

As always, feel free to also email me privately at vinnie@redwineaudio.com... I much prefer this to getting PMs here on headfi.

We hope to see some new posts here on the ALO Sub-Forum!
cool.gif

Thanks again!

Vinnie

May 31, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cable assessment is a difficult thing to quantify, as there is so much personal preference X your particular gear. Everyone sees the world through his or her own lens, and everyone hears music through a similar filters. I have a pair of ATH900LTDS that I love to use with a silver based cable, and conversely I would use a copper based cable with my Grados. So coming out and saying that X is better than Y here is just not really accurate. There are over all qualities that I can convey to you though. Additionally I want to say that all of the cables I make are to going to not disappoint. These are all 100% handmade and will be serviced by me should a mis-hap or problem occur. I stand behind my work, and take cable making as an art form. I understand that they are expensive, however I know them to be the best sounding product you can buy for the application. In this case you do get what you pay for, and this is how they are priced.

The iMod cables that will be readily available now are.

22 gauge Cryo iMod dock cable

cryopod.gif

These are the most flexible and have the smallest footprint. The wire is physically soft and bendable with ease. These have a wonderful midrange with a warm and full sound, not being veiled in ANY way what so ever. With this most affordable iMod dock you simply cannot go wrong. I have been using this cable on my personal set up because it affords me the best option for portability. The mini plug used on the Cryo iMod dock is a small gold Neutrik. These wonderful connectors will not hog up valuable real estate on your amp.

“Jumbo Cryo X Silver iMod Dock” 18 gauge Cryo x 20 gauge Silver (4 wires)

cryoxSilverpod.gif

The ALO workhorse of cabling, giving you the warmth of Copper with the detail and attack of silver. This cable is gives you a powerful sound. When I switch back and fourth between the 22g cryo dock and this cable I can immediately notice increase in intensity, weight and power. The midrange of this cable is unmatched. The JC x S is terminated to a relatively small gold Switchcraft mini plug.

20 gauge x 3 Super Cotton iMod dock
k

Super-Cotton-Dock.jpg

Here we go folks, if you’re into the sound of Silver the Super Cotton Dock is the bomb. I am a huge fan of warmth and while a silver cable will never compare to a quality copper conductor like the above JenLabs based cables in terms if pure warmth, I can say that for a silver based cable this is amazingly warm. Personally if I was forced to say what cable has a “best sound” I might be inclined to pick the Super Cotton dock. The strength of this cable is the airy openness, sound stage, instrument separation and detail. On the down side it is a physically large cable, with a big fat Canare F12 mini plug. This cable is not “pocket friendly” does not like to be bent hard and pinched over and over again.

Gold x Silver iMod Dock - 28 gauge Gold x 20 gauge Silver

golddockpod.gif

The Gold X Silver dock is also very open and airy with an increase in warmth. I would not characterize the Gold Silver Dock as detailed as the Super Cotton Dock. I am hearing this cable as a laid back version of a Super Cotton Dock. I have yet to really properly burn one of these in so I would like to come back to this description at a later date when i can better assess it. I also like the physical size of the this cable, however I must caution owners of this cable. The Gold conductors are thin and gold is not as forgiving as copper when it comes of sharp bending. So please handle with care. Its cost what more because the material were expensive and the sound is unique.

2 longer IC’s will to connect your imod to a home amp. These will be a 3 foot Vampire Wired iMod dock to Cardas Rhodium plated RCA’s and my new “Super Kind” cable. The “Super Kind” is 2 18G (Jumbo) Jena Labs Cryo wires, and 2 20 gauge solid silver wires. Where the silver wires are sleeved in a cotton dielectric. I have A/B’ed all of these conductors I have mentioned above and I feel that this cable design is the over all best sounding. If your asking why I do not offer a Super Kind Dock cable if it’s the best cable design here is why. The cable requires that I sleeve it in a Nylon Techflex like sleeving to protect the integrity of the braid and the cotton insulators. The cable uses 2 18G Jena Labs wires and are quite large. When you start throwing 2 layers of Nylon sleeving and dual walled heat shrink over this it’s getting pretty fat. All this makes for a very large cable and I have great difficulty stuffing all this in a mini plug. There for I will not offer a Super Kind Imod Dock at this time.

A word on shielding; I once read some head-fiers that had posted some complaints that I do not have any shielded cables and for what I charge I should being doing so. I wanted to respond to this but in the past when I have responded to defend myself I have had my posts deleted. When ever I talk about my work in the main forum it violates rules. The reason I dont use shielding is simple; it’s simply not needed and closes the sound of a cable. Yes there are times when you do need shielding but in such short runs that I offer (3 feet and under) its just not needed. Moreover my braiding geometry uses common mode cancellation that has effective shielding properties. Additionally metal shielding always degrades the sound quality, shielding increases the capacitance and capacitance always equates to roll off. Shielding sucks for audio cables and I want my cables to sound awesome.

Ok so that’s the current cable offering at this time. I want to talk about the stuff I have in the works for the new Imod shortly. A cables that will allow you to charge and my most exciting offering, the ALO/RWA Imod Docking Station. This will make your CD player very lonely.

Cheers,

Ken

May 31, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 51
WOW
biggrin.gif
nice feedback and i realy love to read your impression about all these new dock cables. To me your every cable have it's own unique sound signature. I wish i can try all before i buy mine but i choose the best one
biggrin.gif
lol.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #9 of 51
Hope you will add some more info about Gold X Silver dock (limited edition). I realy want to know how it's compare to supper cotton dock especialy when it's comes to sound stage, instrument separation and details.

Jun 1, 2007 at 8:43 PM Post #10 of 51
I think there are some more higher price cables than $110.00(check $210.00
wink.gif
)lol.

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #11 of 51
I think if somebody invest vast money for iMod, AMPs, IEMs and buy cheaper cable which will degrade the sound quality of iMod anyway. So why not buy a realy good cable to enjoy the whole potential of iMOd. Now if somebody don't want to buy those cables with 5G or 5.5G iMod then they simply go with 4G iMod which alow users to buy any mini to mini cable and enjoy the music on iMod. But iMOd is all depend on how good cable are include IEMs and AMPs. So to me it's worth the price if upgrade the whole portable rig.

Jun 3, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 51
Hi Ken, does it(Gold x Silver Silk)improve after some burning in time?.

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #14 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so that’s the current cable offering at this time. I want to talk about the stuff I have in the works for the new Imod shortly. A cables that will allow you to charge and my most exciting offering, the ALO/RWA Imod Docking Station. This will make your CD player very lonely.

Cheers,

Ken

When will the docks be available Ken and do you have a price point yet?

I assume the Caps etc will be in the dock. Does that mean IMOD users will be able to use existing standard cables and will the dock be rca-rca or mini-rca or ?

More details please!

Jun 3, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When will the docks be available Ken and do you have a price point yet?

I assume the Caps etc will be in the dock. Does that mean IMOD users will be able to use existing standard cables and will the dock be rca-rca or mini-rca or ?

More details please!

Hey trose,

I am still working these iMod Docking stations and am hoping to have some by the first part of July. The way these will work will be such that you plug in your iMod to the docking station which sits down on a ipod connector much like the stock Apple dock. Your ipod will be at an angle but supported by the contour of the docking station so you can view the ipod. These will be made entirely out of wood, bamboo, burl wood, Coco bola etc… inside the dock will be some of the finest capacitors you can find. These large caps will be hardwired directly from the pins on the ipod connector to the RCA outs. I will also wire up a panel mount mini out for added convenience, as well as charging to a wall wart. So all you need is a pair of RCA cables to send all the goodness to your AMP. By the way I make some of the best non arm and a leg RCA cables you can find.

Thanks

Ken
various wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back