New Stax 007tII vs Old Stax 007t?
Jul 19, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luco
Come on! How can you resist the Singlepower ES-1? It's said to augment the Omegas big time.
lambda.gif

resistance for es-1 = Price of Es-1/ (Size of budget + the degree of understanding from your wife/parents)

Therefore for me, I can resist it pretty much

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Seeming as either sceanrios could be the case they may not be willing to shell out again on the expectation it is more or less the same but with new circuit implentations to circumnavigate the grey market 007t.

You are right. I'm expecting reviews from professional magazines (that might think it is not that worth it, seeing it as a minor update) or users of 007t going to audition the new model wich might seem not that required either. I still think that perhaps they are not that many units already in the market. Most of dealers/retailers don't have one yet, although they have been on their sites for weeks now.

Jay in my opinion the KGSS is worth it with the Omega2s but I must say that with the 404 I found it a bit "thin" sometimes on the low midrange, as I did with the HE60. I must say that might be just me. It seems like I'm very sensitive to (even a bit) thin sound signatures.

Carl, the SRM-T1 is a hybrid too and it works very well with the SR-Omegas so hopefully I should be fine. The Rudistor amps are quite tempting too, specially the Signature HE90 (did I mention the signatures of SR-Omega and HE90 are not that different?). I might contact him but if I could use a smaller box that would be fantastic. Too bad I was in Italy already just two months ago!

Thanks for your feedback tkam. I did read great reviews about the GNSC Opus 21, saying that it is as good or better than Meitners (I think this might be a bit overenthusiatic) but it is undeniable that it is hard to find a better ratio of space/performance on sources and besides as it accepts digital inputs I could use it sometimes with the computer audio system I did setup for the MiniDAC and the DHA3000 (although most of the software would be feed via CD, I suppose, unless the quality is almost the same which I doubt due jitter issues.

Rob, the Simplystax information is a bit confusing. They have been saying for weeks on the web that they have one for show, but at the same time they say they don't have any in stock and that the (Howard?) still doesn't have comments on the sound for this new unit, which were expected if the unit was already there. I might call him, but still... a couple of hours of testing is not that much. I'd rather prefer to get impressions after a few days/weeks of using it (if possible, that's it).

Cheers!

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #19 of 38
Why you did not told me you was in Italy?

(Egmont Signature with some special tubes + Omega II was a FANTASTIC setup...).

Jul 19, 2006 at 10:34 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Why you did not told me you was in Italy?

(Egmont Signature with some special tubes + Omega II was a FANTASTIC setup...).

Hahaha! Hi Nicola!

I was about to... but I went there with my parents this time so I had to be with them in Rome, Florence and Venice.

I might go back soon. I'll let you know if that's the case!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:35 PM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Rob, the Simplystax information is a bit confusing. They have been saying for weeks on the web that they have one for show, but at the same time they say they don't have any in stock and that the (Howard?) still doesn't have comments on the sound for this new unit, which were expected if the unit was already there. I might call him, but still... a couple of hours of testing is not that much. I'd rather prefer to get impressions after a few days/weeks of using it (if possible, that's it).

I haven't checked back to the sources but as I remember it, Howard heard no difference between Mk I and Mk II initially. After burn-in there was an improvement with Mk II, although small. The differences in design seem to be minor.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders
I haven't checked back to the sources but as I remember it, Howard heard no difference between Mk I and Mk II initially. After burn-in there was an improvement with Mk II, although small. The differences in design seem to be minor.

Thanks a lot Anders. That's exactly what I was looking for.

BTW anybody knows if the Black version of this new MkII is widely available through any dealer? Or is it one of those rare things like the black Omega2s?

I could ask to some dealer but I'm not sure if I want to show to the dealer real interest about it yet. That's why I'm asking here first. If nobody around here knows I'll ask a few dealers and I'll let you all know.

Cheers!

Jul 20, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #24 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Thanks a lot Anders. That's exactly what I was looking for.

BTW anybody knows if the Black version of this new MkII is widely available through any dealer? Or is it one of those rare things like the black Omega2s?

I could ask to some dealer but I'm not sure if I want to show to the dealer real interest about it yet. That's why I'm asking here first. If nobody around here knows I'll ask a few dealers and I'll let you all know.

Cheers!

I would be interested if the new stax amps are autobiasing. While a lot of headfiers would find it easy biasing the amps unfortunately I am not one of them.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #25 of 38
It is my understanding that the amplifier of the new MkII version is identical to that used in the previous version of the 007t amp.

Only the input and output infrastructure has changed, i.e., all the input selector switches are now on the front panel, and there are now only two "pro" outputs instead of two "pro" and one "normal". (The latter change makes the amp cheaper to produce, as they only need to provide for one instead of two static voltages.)

Has anyone seen a spec sheet that indicates they made any real changes to the actual amplifier inside the box? I haven't (but would be happy to receive a confirmation or correction of the above).

Incidentally, my 007t has responded very well to tuberolling. The original "Ei" tubes used by Stax are not very good. You may not need a different amp but only four affordable tubes and a GBP 5.00 multimeter. Contact me if you are interested, and I can give you recommendations.

Jul 26, 2006 at 1:50 PM Post #26 of 38
The SRM-007tII have at least got a new front layout. Power and Input buttons have a new placement and look.

Internal changes:
* Support for "Normal" headspeakers have been removed. It now support Pro only.
* It now have three input channels. While the old one have two.
* ...?

SRM-007tII
staxomega007II.jpg

SRM-007t
M-SRM007t-FRONT.jpg

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
* Support for "Normal" headspeakers have been removed. It now support Pro only.

That's what I wrote. Thanks for the confirmation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis
* It now have three input channels. While the old one have two.
* ...?

That's not entirely true. The old version has the same number and types of inputs as the new one, i.e., one balanced and two single-ended. But as I wrote, now you can switch between all of them from the front panel, whereas with the old version you had to use a switch on the back to select between unbalanced and single-ended (which are effectively two variations of one channel).

Jul 26, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #28 of 38
I think these citations from the owner of the SimplyStax shop in UK can regarded as confirmation of now real change (but possibly a marginal improvement).

"In contrast, STAX have very recently issued Mk2 versions of their valve energisers, the 006t and 007t. As a responsible retailer I have listened to these and have advised my customers that a move to the Mk2 isn’t worth it as the changes are primarily cosmetic plus the fact that STAX made it clear that they had to change their supplier of switches and they were forced through circumstance to redesign the input switching. None of the STAX info available to dealers indicated any substantial sonic improvement. All credit to STAX then."

------

"My initial views on comparing the Mk2 versions of the 006t and 007t to the Mk1 versions was that there was no sonic difference whatsoever. Now that the Mk2 versions are run-in here (because previously I’d heard them straight out of the box) there is a small improvement in ambience and top-end detail. It is quite small though. So ………

I’m not advising my 006t Mk1 and 007t Mk1 owners to consider trading in against the mk2 versions of either. It doesn’t represent a good value move."
(http://blog.listencarefully.co.uk/?cat=5)

Coincidentally, the revision of input switching that Stax was "forced by circumstance to redesign" seems to mean that it is not possible to convert the Japanese version to European/US voltages.
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #29 of 38
Does anyone else notice the color change in the 007tII? It moved from a 'champagne'-like color to silver.

Could this be a sign of a new pairing to come?

Jul 26, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Does anyone else notice the color change in the 007tII? It moved from a 'champagne'-like color to silver.

Could this be a sign of a new pairing to come?

YES, are you thinking along the lines of OMEGA III Adrian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back