New Speakers+(reciever?)+Computer Audio
Jun 15, 2008 at 7:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pez

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, wasn't sure which section I should put this in, but it's more of a computer type question. I got an early Birthday present the other day, and I am completly surprised. I got a pair of Cerwin-Vega D-3's. They're 3-way with 10" woofer, 6" mid and about a 3-3 1/2 tweeter or something of the sort. Anyways, I think they sound much much better than the Pioneer's my dad was letting me use. My only thing now, is I've rearranged my room so that the speakers are hooked up to my computer, and btw they sound fantastic IMO. Soooo to get to the point I have this big generic Philips CD player hooked up to my computer via AUX cable and my speakers hooked up to it. It actually sounds very good, but the fact that my desk is only so big, and that the CD Player is under it, it takes up some of my leg room. So now I'm wondering if there is something, maybe dictionary size, that would allow me to hook up an AUX cable to it and then to my speakers. I'm looking for something small, and of course something able to power these speakers. If there isn't something that small worth it, then I'll probably just keep this one, because it's only just a little tall. Speaking of which, I'll get a pic very soon to help illustrate my rambling.

Jun 15, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Ok, sorry the pic is big, but here you go. Sorry for the mess, I just did it and need to clean everything up a bit, and also, yes, I know about the woofers....they're crumbling, we're expecting new surrounds to get here by this Friday. But yes, the thing under my desk in the bottom left. It's not too big, but I would still like something smaller if possible.

DSC01066.jpg

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #3 of 8
so no one knows of any small, good sounding recievers...?

Jun 16, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so no one knows of any small, good sounding recievers...?

I don't think you want a receiver... You just want a stereo amp. I would try to find a used one locally... Shouldn't be too hard

Also, you should get those speakers up off the floor. The tweeters should be approximately at ear level. A few cinder blocks would be a cheap and effective way to do this.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 8
a stereo amp, could you maybe point me in the direction of their purpose and functions and whatnot? Also, I'm leaving the speakers down there for when I hopefully get a LCD HDTV soon and watch movies from the bed or from a hopeful couch if I can squeeze one in.

Jun 16, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a stereo amp, could you maybe point me in the direction of their purpose and functions and whatnot? Also, I'm leaving the speakers down there for when I hopefully get a LCD HDTV soon and watch movies from the bed or from a hopeful couch if I can squeeze one in.

An amplifier just takes your analog line level signal and amplifies it such that it can power passive speakers. Your best bet is to look around locally... With some luck you will get a nice vintage amp that will both be cheap and sound good.

Even with a couch, your going to want to raise those speakers so the tweeters are more at ear level.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 8
Hmmm, the only place around where I live that I could think of is maybe a goodwill place, but if I can't, where else would I find one, and who is a good brand that makes them. Also, how much am I looking at to spend? The speakers I think are 125 watt max each.

EDIT: I'm not sure about wattage, I read somewhere 125 max watt. IDK, but I want something that would be able to power these without quality loss. I really would kinda like an amp that has a bass boost? If possible?

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Max may mean peaks, not average...but youll hear if they distort i guess. Pawn shops usually have good amp deals, or ebay.
Old Carver amps arent too big, and usually theyre light because they have class H power supplies that are light weight rail supplies, so the amps are usually slim. For your use, itll sound awesome, and theyre quick and punchy too. Something around 100 watts per channel would be fine.
Also later on you can upgrade everything around that amp cheaply and have an even better system.
As far as bass boost...doesnt your source have an EQ? I thought you are using your pc as a source?
You can download anything you want for processors and music players, ie. itunes,winamp,foobar,zune,jet audio,quintessential player,rhapsody,etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back