New Speaker Suggestions
Nov 11, 2008 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dark_Archon

Head-Fier
I'm thinking of getting a pair of Paradigm Mini monitors, but I'd like some suggestions.

I mainly listen to prog rock, with some of it leaning towards metal (Pre-Train of Thought Dream Theater). A few other examples of stuff I listen to are Transatlantic, Porcupine Tree, Yes, Marillion, The Flower Kings, Echolyn, and Riverside.

I have an Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver.

I'd like to move up to floor-standing speakers, like the Paradigm Studio 7's, but I can't quite afford them. I wouldn't be opposed to floorstanding speaker suggestions, but am targeting the ~$400 price range. Going over a little isn't too big a deal.

Edit: The Paradigm Titans also fall within my pricerange.

Nov 11, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 17
I would buy used, theres far better value in buying used gear. If you need to resell, you might make a few bucks, or suffer a negligible loss. IMO nothing beats full range floorstanders. I got an outstanding deal on my Klipsch Fortes...got em for $200, when at the time most pairs in this condition were going for $600 to $700. Look around on craigslist...plenty of deals out there. If you find something you might like, go audition it. If you like it, buy it
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is a idea get LINK plus LINK and you have a concert in your room

I'm under the impression that subwoofers tend to be on the boomy side and overpower the other speakers until you go up a few price steps, and even then aren't quite necessary. I could be wrong, and if I am, please tell me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob
I would buy used, theres far better value in buying used gear. If you need to resell, you might make a few bucks, or suffer a negligible loss. IMO nothing beats full range floorstanders. I got an outstanding deal on my Klipsch Fortes...got em for $200, when at the time most pairs in this condition were going for $600 to $700. Look around on craigslist...plenty of deals out there. If you find something you might like, go audition it. If you like it, buy it .

I didn't think about going used, good suggestion. I don't see much in my area though. I'm still not opposed to floorstanding speakers, but I'm probably going to be moving every 6 months for the next couple years between school and internships (I'm moving in 2 weeks and waiting until then to actually buy the speakers). Still, I think I may prefer floorstanding speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
Give a listen to the Klipsch RB-61: RB-61 --- Bookshelf Loudspeaker, Klipsch Reference Series

Thanks for the input. How much power do those need per channel? My receiver is rated at 75W/channel (@ 8Ω impedance).

I appreciate all the input so far. I'd like to be able to make an informed decision before I go out and spend a lot of money.

Edit: I currently have Polk R150s.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 17
The Klipsch are very sensitive, I have the big brother to the RB-61...the RB-35 which uses and 8" woofer instead of 6.5". Im running them off of a 5W per channel Trends Audio TA-10.1 T-amp. I picked mine up new on sale at a local hifi shop for $350...they had em half off.

IMG_0796.jpg

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 17
Is that mouse a Logitech MX1000? It looks just like my mouse.

The other question I have is speaker stands. I don't have the desk real-estate for speakers any larger than my current ones. Does the shelf on the speaker stands need to be at least the same size as the speaker, or can it be a little smaller? Of course, floorstanders would circumvent this problem entirely.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:00 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm under the impression that subwoofers tend to be on the boomy side and overpower the other speakers until you go up a few price steps, and even then aren't quite necessary. I could be wrong, and if I am, please tell me.

I didn't think about going used, good suggestion. I don't see much in my area though. I'm still not opposed to floorstanding speakers, but I'm probably going to be moving every 6 months for the next couple years between school and internships (I'm moving in 2 weeks and waiting until then to actually buy the speakers). Still, I think I may prefer floorstanding speakers.

Thanks for the input. How much power do those need per channel? My receiver is rated at 75W/channel (@ 8Ω impedance).

I appreciate all the input so far. I'd like to be able to make an informed decision before I go out and spend a lot of money.

Edit: I currently have Polk R150s.

The Klipsch are know for being very efficient. For example the RB61 will generate 95 dB w/ 1W at 1 meter. So you could power them easily w/ 15 wpc amp. Look up the other models by Klipsch.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alpha 1 Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here is a idea get LINK plus LINK and you have a concert in your room

You're not allowed to suggest speakers anymore
tongue.gif

(seriously though, Cerwin Vega is BAD)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark_Archon

It depends on the speakers and about of extension you want. If you get a good quality driver and build sealed, you can have a well controlled subwoofer. Then you merely change power output on the sub amp till it matches your other speakers (assuming you pick rather neutral speakers and drivers).

Does anyone have an impedance curve of the RB-61? I find it hard to suggest a speaker not knowing what the minimum impedance will be on a weaker amp . . . even if it's efficient. Even the mini monitors go into 4ohms on and off. You'll power starve them on certain frequencies which may cause distortion >_>

I'd suggest a set of NHT SuperZero bookshelves (The XUs do look a bit tacky though). The lowest they push is around 7ohms, so your receiver would push them quite well. That's just me though.

Nov 12, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go over to STO Sound & Vision and look under speakers.Many good speakers on sale there.

I have two sets of Wharfedale speakers (9.0 and 8.2) that I quite love.
Retail: ~ $600. Total cost less shipping: $162.

Deals are out there.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have two sets of Wharfedale speakers (9.0 and 8.2) that I quite love.
Retail: ~ $600. Total cost less shipping: $162.

Deals are out there.

Yeah,I recently got the Wharfedale Dimond 9.0 speakers for $100 from Sound&Vision.They sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back