New source or headphones?
Aug 31, 2010 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jegarn

100+ Head-Fier
A while ago I almost bought a new pair of phones but I didn't find the right ones.

Now I've been thinking it might be better to upgrade the source. A better source will aslo improve sound with speakers.
What would give me the most sound/$?
What i use today is:
Grundig PS2600(turntable) -> cambridge 640p ->X-can v8 - > MS1

I'm thinking in the pricerange around 300$.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Are you looking to improve your analog source or do you want to go digital ?

If you want a DAC, i'd recommend you to get an usb dac or soundcard, maybe external, and use a computer as source, it's more convenient than a regular CD player and usually offers better value for money.

If you want to stay analog, you could get a better cartridge, what are you using right now ?

However, i'd consider a new pair of phones instead of a source upgrade, you already have a good amp and an analog setup, you could try something better - or different- than the ms1.

Aug 31, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 6
Well, headphones usually give you the biggest upgrade. However, turntables are a lot pickier than digital sources and the MS-1 is a very good headphone. I don't know what can be found for $300, but $400 or so will get you a used Rega P3/Planar 3. I had one for awhile and was very happy with it.

Sep 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 6
What will the difference be between turntables, cartridge, arm in different price ranges?

I like the of vinyl more than CD(a little sterile) and are therefor mostly focusing on the analog rig. I also have a lot of music stored digital. But for pleasure I prefer analog

Sep 2, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #5 of 6
The turntable operates very much as a single mechanism even though you can buy it in parts. The turntable, cartridge, arm all influence each other and so it is not as simple as differentiating them just by price.

I think you best bet is to buy a turntable with arm then get a cartridge.

The Rega turntables are consistently very good and the arm with them is very upgradeable in the future if you wish to pursue that.

So, if I were you, I'd get a second-hand Rega as Uncle Erik has suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back