New soundcard.
Dec 5, 2007 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

andre.beat

New Head-Fier
Hi.
I'm getting myself a HD595 and since I'll use my computer as source I need to get myself a new soundcard. I'm very interested in the E-Mu 0404 Pci but I've also seen some posts stating that the E-Mu 0404 USB is a good DAC. I would prefer a PCI solution but are there any differences between the 0404pci and the 0404usb?
I don't have headphone amp although I plan to buy one in the future. The soundcard should be able to drive the HD595. What should I get to get my rig sounding good?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 14
I have/had EMu o4o4 and it now resides in my least-used maching (rather than bothering to sell it). Re the USB vers. - there is/was a thread on this forum where many peeps were unhappy with this version.......beyond this point economics may come into play. I much perfer using ESI Juli@ (I have two of them in use [better SQ and more stable than 0404]). A basic Lynx will cost more for an admittedly minor increase in ability. Newer models are marketed by Onkyo, and Auzentech which seem appealing - but I have not made it a point to try them - they seem well-regarded. Despite what some peeps write, and believe - I've personally found NO advantage to going USB.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cconnaker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would start with a USB DAC and headphone amp in one unit. This will get you going anyway. Most people highly suggest steering clear of PCI / internal cards.

So you're suggesting something like the E-Mu 0404 USB right?

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 14
That seems to be a highly reviewed unit, but there is something about it that I am just not in to. Maybe it is the multi purpose features. It seem that this unit is designed to do much more than be a DAC and headphone amp. Often this mean it does many things good but nothing great. In my opinion going with a DAC and headphone amp that was only built to do these functions and no more bells and whistles is the best option.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 14
If you play games or don't want clutter, just get PCI soundcard. There are some better PCI sound cards out their besides the EMU stuff.

The only real advantage for USB is convenience such as switching between different computers or laptops. Also, certain DACs with USB inputs will accept optical and coax SPDIF making them much more versatile than just a computer sound card.

Most USB soundcards right now are limited to like 16 bit stereo, 48 kHz input.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by andre.beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what DAC and headphone amp would you recommend? I'd also have to buy a soundcard anyway because the one I have does not have a digital output.

I am guessing you want to stay somewhere close to the price of the 404. I really think the Total BitHead from Headroom is a great product for $149. You don't need another soundcard for this. Just a USB port and you are good. This is just a starter setup though. If you want to spend a bit more you'll be able to separate the DAC and Amp etc...

Dec 6, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 14
But still if the a separate DAC and amp is a natural upgrade why not just buy a plain soundcard for now instead of buying a cheap USB DAC?

Also all the USB DAC's act as soundcards? I mean if I buy a USB DAC I don't need a soundcard?

Dec 7, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Re the [0404] USB vers. - there is/was a thread on this forum where many peeps were unhappy with this version.......

Where's this thread? Most people say it's a steal for the price...

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #12 of 14
I own HD595 and EMU 0404 USB and i am satisfied. EMU has enought power to drive HD595's.
smily_headphones1.gif
(I listen to 1/3 - 1/2 of max volume on EMU)
(i'm sorry for my english)

Dec 7, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 14
I do some audio editing on my PC. Have the M-Audio 2496 internal card (PCI), which has analog and digital inputs and outputs. It does very well for me for speakers or headphone use, and you can get it for less than $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back