New Sota Sapphire (Vacuum Version)
Dec 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Zafsk

Head-Fier
Hey guys, I will be posting pictures soon. That said, I am the proud new owner of a Sota Sapphire (vacuum version) turntable. I'm psyched, it's gorgeous. I bought it for $400 (what a deal, I spent weeks scouring for one), spent $100 on a Rega Bias 2 to pair with it. I just ordered a belt for it, but first impression prior to playing it: it's so damn heavy. This, however, makes it very sturdy. And it's so gorgeous. This is my first real piece of high-end audio equipment.

I need some help though, if anyone has a copy of the manual, it would be excellent if you could PM some scans to me. Because, for the life of me, I have no idea how to hook this up.

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 13
Zafsk, That's great news!  You'll be happy, I'm sure with your  Sota  ""Sapphire! That table will bring you yrs. of listening....What arm does it have?? A Rega ??? Anyway about the Manual, I'd Google "IT" to see if anyone has a original or copy of "its" manual....It seem to me I remember on one of the forums on Head-Fi, someone had the web address of a guy/company who had Damn near every manual........Any help out there guys for Zafsk...               How are the vacuum lines and pump, Good Shape??? I'll try to find out any info and will either PM you or add to this thread.....Any Ideal how old "it" is or ser.# 

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 13
Congrats on the great find! Have you checked the Vinyl Engine for a manual? Also, you might want to contact TTVJ. He stocks Sota decks and might be able to hook you up with the manual.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 13
9pintube, the vacuum line is in good shape, the pump seems to work. I'll find out when I put in the belt. The serial number is 14418, or that may be the model number. There are no other numbers on the back. Where it says "Serial Number" it is blank. The tonearm is a Sumiko Premier MMT, which is already worth what I paid for it.

Actually, I'm not too sure on the pump now that I think about it. Is there any sure way to know if its working? When I first start the TT, it hums for a bit and then shuts off. Is that just the pump working and then shutting off when its done or what?

Erik: Vinyl Engine cannot post Sota manuals online per manufacturers request. :/ I will contact TTVJ though, when I can.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
9pintube, the vacuum line is in good shape, the pump seems to work.   
Actually, I'm not too sure on the pump now that I think about it. Is there any sure way to know if its working? When I first start the TT, it hums for a bit and then shuts off. Is that just the pump working and then shutting off when its done or what?

What do you think Uncle Erik? That's not a pump that shuts down after it's pull the right amount of Vacuum is it......I know some Big Dollar Air bearing and vacuum hold down tables Air Pump shuts down (the Walker Black Diamond, and Basis Debut) after doing their job, I think??? Zafsk, can you feel a vacuum/sucking from one of the hoses??? This might be just a variation of a fish tank pump..Maybe some pics would help....By the way that's a very good, medium mas arm and will mate very well with just about any cartridge you'll put on it.......just take your time with the set up, make Damn sure your tables LEVEL and Stable......Keep us in touch...

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 13
It's very level, actually. That, and the deck actually suspends itself using some weird mount. So any environmental changes, it adjusts for it. The arm looks good though, took my time setting it up, I've got it to where it just floats. I think that's what it's supposed to do. Here are some pictures of the actual setup. I can't feel any suction, but the tube is so small that even if it was, I don't know if I could if it was on. The small clear tube is the vacuum tube.

Dec 18, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 13
Hey Man, can you see your Lp being sucked down on the platter??... Are the vacuum holes cleaned/opened on your special platter mat???  Does the pump shut off before any movement of the lp being sucked down to the lip of your mat????   Just remember for what Few$$$ you have in your Classic Table you can always use a record clamp (Sota makes one of the Best) until you find all the facts about your Vac.Pump... Now for your Tone arm, IMO, I'd put a Lp on the platter and gentle place the arm with the stylist resting on track two (Table should not be running) sight across the tone arm and platter, is the arm parallel with the platter(while the stylist is resting in the groove).....If it's parallel Or basically level you could always set the VTA down some in the back(bearing end) of this arm....just slightly now....That's called "Tail dragging"  and that's usually a good place to start with most cartridges....Listen and maybe adjust it closer to the arm being Parallel with the platter........That's what so nice about arms (Graham) and other high end arms that have VTA on the fly.......You'll get good at it by just Listening......PS the little black box on the left side of the T.T. what is that??? a speed controller?? or just a Vac. pump switch???  I just reread your part about the Arm "Floating", You did set your VTF  Or (Vertical Down Force) that your Cartridge manufacturer calls for?????? You should do that 1st.....then Vta (Vertical Tracking Angle)

Dec 19, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 13
If the VTF is 1.75 grams, I believe I did. The black box is a variable speed control I believe with an on switch for the turntable. I've never configured a turntable cartridge before, so this should be interesting. A lot of trial and error, I'm sure. I feel like the guy who's never had money and then wins the lottery, I have no idea what to do with it all.

About the vacuum, the holes are open, and I actually checked, I can feel the vacuum pump working until it shuts off like I said. I actually looked up some stuff about the pump, and from what I understand, the way the pump works is that it shuts off and then reactivates at set periods of time. So I may just not have it on long enough for it to continue working.

Edit: I actually tried to set it on track 2, and I actually couldn't. The piece that locks the tonearm when not in use is in the way. I'm not sure how to adjust it to angle it so it won't do that. I can't seem to find the owners manual for that either. Vinyl Engine seems to be transferring a lot of things right now. I think someone may have mounted it wrong, however.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 13
It's alive!! I've got everything working now, and oh my word it sounds fantastic. Worth every bit of time and heh, money. Here's a few pictures, if you guys have any questions, I'd love to answer them. My only concern it pops just a tad too much, I'd like to get rid of some of that popping sound, but its not enough for me to notice without paying attention for it specifically. (I need to dust some of my records, I know)

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Zafsk, Good for you..... From the photo It looks like your arm is sitting pretty good (as far as parallel) to your LP.......Good job, pursuing this project, I've talked to many of younger guys just getting into Vinyl who give up with far less issues then what you tackled!!  Now , until you get a record cleaner, try to buy an "ORBITRAC 2" cleaner.......Music Direct???   That will help with your dust..... Now Enjoy!!

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks man. I actually went to replace the belt, and realized the "catch" or o-ring for the pulley, that sits inside the pulley to make it spin when in contact with motor spindel, had actually dried out. So I took it out and DIY'd a fix using a glue gun. I'm still not entirely sure about the vacuum, but I'll figure that out over the next week. I think its working. The VTA and VTF are all calibrated correctly, as far as I can tell. It sounds fantastic, I'm listening to Electric Ladyland right now and I'm absolutely loving it.

Sometime in the next few months, I'll get a new cartridge that will compliment this deck a bit more. Right now, though, my biggest concern is getting more vinyl, which is an awesome feeling.

Dec 30, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #12 of 13
Well, this didn't take long. I've noticed a problem with the Turntable, it's somewhat minor, but I'd like to take care of it if I can. I notice a slight buzzing whenever there is no music playing, I presume its persistent through the music, though I can't hear it. It goes away if I press down slightly on the base of the turntable where it floats inside the SOTA near the tonearm. Is this a problem with the wiring for the tonearm? It does it with the cartridge in contact with vinyl and with it locked and in a resting state. I took the cartridge and head shell off and rewired all that, but it didn't make any difference.

Is it safe to assume that the tonearm itself is the problem?

Edit: It also pops for no apparent reason, even when it's not in contact with any vinyl.

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #13 of 13
Maybe A Ground Problem?? My Clearaudio Ref. has a ground wire that's attached to the bottom "Bearing" screw/nut and connects over on my phono pre amp.....That's not even counting the ground in my Hovland "Music Groove II tonearm cable. So Zafsk see if you can see any ground wires that connect the table to the arm mount??? Look and listen while you gently touch /move the wires around the arm board area..... maybe "It's Loose or frayed???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back