NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 9, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #3,257 of 4,019
Quote:
I might just keep the iPod touch and go with a cheaper walkman to pair the arrow with, what is a simpler cheaper walkman that has comparable sound and LOD?

Try the S series, but what's the point then?  You get the Walkman with the digital amp section for its wonderful headphone output  The F & Z as well as the A are good enough that a dedicate amplification may not be necessary if you are using a really good IEMs.  To be honest, my Pico Power isn't that much better compared to the headphone out of my A, F, and Z walkman using the JH13pro.

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #3,258 of 4,019
Try the S series, but what's the point then?  You get the Walkman with the digital amp section for its wonderful headphone output  The F & Z as well as the A are good enough that a dedicate amplification may not be necessary if you are using a really good IEMs.  To be honest, my Pico Power isn't that much better compared to the headphone out of my A, F, and Z walkman using the JH13pro.
I just want a superior dac for cheap and the ipod 5.5 didn't sound all that much better. Plus I'll be using LOD which I've noticed vast improvements in clarity over the headphone out at least on the iPods. I definetly think the arrow 4g will improve the sound as it has for all other dap's I've tryed it with

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #3,259 of 4,019
I just want a superior dac for cheap and the ipod 5.5 didn't sound all that much better. Plus I'll be using LOD which I've noticed vast improvements in clarity over the headphone out at least on the iPods. I definetly think the arrow 4g will improve the sound as it has for all other dap's I've tryed it with
Well after some research it seems that the s or cheaper versions are out of the question because of the small capacity. 32gb is the lowest I'm gonna go and the f I was looking at for 400 had 64gb whereas I found an s series 32gb (Japanese version only) for 300. In the end I might just sell the itouch for around 200 and get the f as a total replacement... Nothing is ever simple. Sometimes I hate upgrading because of the headache, this better be with it sound wise

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #3,261 of 4,019
Quote:
I have not gone through all these pages, but how easy it is to reap CD onto these ?

0. update your Z to ICS if you haven't done yet
1. rip the CD to wav or flac format
2. fix the tags if you rip it to flac format
3. connect your Z to the computer using the usb cable for the Z
4. copy the songs to the Z music folder

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #3,262 of 4,019
Quote:

Always rip as Flac b/c Wav won''t accept metadata.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3,263 of 4,019
Quote:
Always rip as Flac b/c Wav won''t accept metadata.

+1 on that. I would never rip to wav, and never use any player that required it. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM Post #3,264 of 4,019
Quote:

??

Just fired up my Z for the first time in forever - unsurprisingly sounds good with the XBA4...  where are instructions for ICS update??

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #3,265 of 4,019
Is yours Duncan an European Z? Because mine is and I would say the XBA-40 and my Z sounds SURPRISINGLY good considering its high Zout, very detailed throughout it very extended FR but very smooth and 3D.
I love that combo 
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #3,266 of 4,019
Zenpunk, yup - an EU one, which is why I hid it away for a while, but - got intrigued earlier - and - am pretty happy with the combination :)

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,267 of 4,019
Quote:
Is yours Duncan an European Z? Because mine is and I would say the XBA-40 and my Z sounds SURPRISINGLY good considering its high Zout, very detailed throughout it very extended FR but very smooth and 3D.
I love that combo 
biggrin.gif

zen, do you have an xba 30? comparison ?

i was thinking going for the 30s but since u said the 40s works well with the Z, im considering it :D

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #3,268 of 4,019
Sorry, I have never heard the 30 but the 40 is the most enjoyable and technically able iem I heard to date and I have owned or heard most flagship iems. Sadly, I am not to keen about it as an overall package so I still use my PFE232 when on the move.

Apr 13, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #3,269 of 4,019
ola,

does anyone know how to increase the line out volume of the z player?  it sounds a bit subdued whenever i use an amp with it, i have to jack up the volume higher compared to other players (ipod, cd player etc).

thanks dudes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back