NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 8, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #3,241 of 4,019
Quote:
Hey I was wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction? I already have an iPod touch 4g (64gb) that I pair via LOD with my headstage arrow 4g. I am considering getting a 64gb walkman f or z series to replace it. I want to make sure the sound quality will improve for sure but I need advice. I never use an eq and I listen to mostly heavy metal and rock. My cans are grado sr225i and Logitech ue 6000. Also I would prefer that the walkman has LOD capibility.

Thanks

You should go for the Z. It has a considerable improvement over the iDevice. I too listen to Rock & Metal, and the part I enjoy the most is the heavy guitars.
JUST AMAZING.

You can hear every single vibe.
Also the cymbals not ear-piercing or anything.

The Z is preferable over the F for metal (That's my opinion, your taste might differ).

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,242 of 4,019
You should go for the Z. It has a considerable improvement over the iDevice. I too listen to Rock & Metal, and the part I enjoy the most is the heavy guitars.

JUST AMAZING.

You can hear every single vibe.
Also the cymbals not ear-piercing or anything.

The Z is preferable over the F for metal (That's my opinion, your taste might differ).
Ok I think u definetly have a valid point but the arrow is already a really warm amp and the ue 6000 love bass so I think that combo would only have good synergy with my grado sr225i, but if I go with the f I don't know if the combo would be too sibilant, overall I would like to know if the warmth of the z comes from its internal amp or the internal dac because if I use an LOD (which I'm going to) it's going to cancel the internal amp out and change the sound overall

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #3,243 of 4,019
That's kinda why I am leanin towards the f series cause the arrow lets me darken the sound a bit for when I use the grados, and if u meant the z has good bass cause of a bass boost option then I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm all about purity my friend

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3,245 of 4,019
Quote:
That's kinda why I am leanin towards the f series cause the arrow lets me darken the sound a bit for when I use the grados, and if u meant the z has good bass cause of a bass boost option then I wouldn't use it anyway. I'm all about purity my friend

Reach out for the F then. Its more "pure". AFAIK the dark sound of the Z comes from its DAC. There's no bass-boost option, the heavy sound just comes naturally. :wink:

Apr 9, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #3,247 of 4,019
If you are heavily into heavy metal, the Z's warmer signature as well as more upfront presentation will work better.  The F has better clarity and separation but the Z is more punchy sounding to my ears.  Since I don't listen to much heavy metal and already own an CIEM with great bass response, the F is my go to player.

A series or z series based on SQ alone? i have the a series already and i would love to know if one is better!

It is about preference.  Both are equally good IMO, but the A has darker tonality and more laid back presentation.  The Z has stronger bass due to a slighty bump in the midbass region which make more punchy sounding.  The Z is also more intimate sounding as it is more upfront than the A.  You need to consider the pairing headphones as well.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #3,249 of 4,019
Quote:
The whole android 2.3 is a drawback of the z cause I'm coming from an ipod 4g

There's an official and free upgrade to Android 4.0.4. Be warned that the stock music app is finicky, in my experience particularly with lossless, but when it plays it sounds amazing... Can't comment much on Android vs iOS other than the latter feels old to me, but that's just me...

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #3,250 of 4,019
Quote:
So what about the f being paired with the arrow 4g? The 4g is warm and bassy sounding, also does the f have an LOD?

The whole android 2.3 is a drawback of the z cause I'm coming from an ipod 4g

Yes, it has LOD.  You will need to purchase an optional adapter to access a line out.  Like others have mentioned, Sony has released an ICS for the Z late last year.

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #3,251 of 4,019
So
Yes, it has LOD.  You will need to purchase an optional adapter to access a line out.  Like others have mentioned, Sony has released an ICS for the Z late last year.
if the z is updated is it as snappy as the f? And what do u mean by adapter? I was just gonna have chris_himself make me one for it like he did for my itouch

Apr 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #3,252 of 4,019
Quote:
So
if the z is updated is it as snappy as the f? And what do u mean by adapter? I was just gonna have chris_himself make me one for it like he did for my itouch

No, the F is snappier but the Z isn't bad.  It is all about the sound quality anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L5-Line-Cable-Walkman/dp/B003UCI2CI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOD-Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-Line-out-Dock-To-3-5mm-Plug-/170683121052

You can also buy one from an e-bay seller with a mini input.  Then use a high quality mini-to-mini cable or mini-to-rca cable when connecting to an amplifier.

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #3,253 of 4,019
No, the F is snappier but the Z isn't bad.  It is all about the sound quality anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-L5-Line-Cable-Walkman/dp/B003UCI2CI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOD-Sony-Walkman-MP3-Player-Line-out-Dock-To-3-5mm-Plug-/170683121052
ir

You can also buy one from an e-bay seller with a mini input.  Then use a high quality mini-to-mini cable or mini-to-rca cable when connecting to an amplifier.
It's just that I don't have a smartphone and I always rely on my ipod for web browsing and crap lol sad I know, but your right it is all about the sound quality. Overall I feel the f is more suited to me since I prefer an anylitical sound signature anyway. But also I can have that LOD made custom and it would work right?

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #3,254 of 4,019
I want to buy the 64gb f series on amazon for 400 but I believe it's a Japanese player. If I get that is there an English language option? Can I put music on it through my USA windows 7? Do I need a different power cord? Lol

Apr 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #3,255 of 4,019
Quote:
It's just that I don't have a smartphone and I always rely on my ipod for web browsing and crap lol sad I know, but your right it is all about the sound quality. Overall I feel the f is more suited to me since I prefer an anylitical sound signature anyway. But also I can have that LOD made custom and it would work right?

The custom LOD will work just fine, but that adapter will give you more flexibility with connection to portable amp using mini-to-mini or home using RCA-to-Mini cable, respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back