NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Feb 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #3,166 of 4,019
Quote:
I went from the a864 walkman to the z and I noticed the difference in sound quality immediately.  The Z was more muddled and fatiguing, where the A was clean
crisp, and full with nice separation.  Kinda disappointing really since I heard they have the same digital amps in them.  I find with the z that less is more.  I turn off all
of the sound enhancements and maybe use the eq.  If I use any of the sound enhancements the eq changes dont seem to work.  I noticed this before the ics update,
that the eq just seemed to make things louder and not better.  That is, if I adjusted the treble I could hardly tell that I adjusted the treble, everything just seemed to be louder.
With the A if I adjusted the treble I could tell immediately the change.  If only I could find a large capacity a series then I would sell the z.  

have you tried 3rd party apps with Z? i find that playerpro works pretty well. to me the i didnt really like the stock sony player

Feb 28, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,167 of 4,019
I have tried all kinds of 3rd party apps including equalizers and in the end I found it such a hassle that I just reverted back to the stock player.
I found that after doing the ics update a factory reset helped with the problematic flac files.  Now I just use media go and transfer the flacs over
and it just works with all of the artwork and tags intact.  Regarding the sound, like I said before, my A just sounds better.  Doesnt matter what the file type mp3 or flac. Now in saying that, I know that hearing can be very subjective and what I like, others may not.   I do like my Z for the dope eye candy
and it is fun to play with.   

Feb 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #3,168 of 4,019
does anyone has tried to make a comparison between SONY Z vs IRiver Ak100?I want to know the result.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #3,169 of 4,019
I don't think there is much to compare the two apart from sound quality, because they are otherwise different animals completely. Android vs custom firmware, proprietary Sony line out vs optical/coaxial output, no storage expansion vs 2xMicroSD slots.... And so on.

I had an AK100 briefly, but traded it back with the retailer for an iBasso DX100. I later purchased a 16gb Z then a 64gb Z. Therefore I am unable to a/b the devices. But from memory, I do feel the Z is closer to the DX100 than what I felt the AK100 was in terms of SQ. 

In the end, the main advantage of the AK100 was its size and expandability, but there are many much cheaper micro DAPs with MicroSD slots around. I think the iRiver is very poor value compared to a Z given all the extra capabilities it has while having a very good DAC for its class of DAP and considerably less expensive.

Mar 3, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #3,170 of 4,019
Quote:
Hi guys,

This may have been asked previously but there are too many pages to go through.  Has anyone ordered a 64GB Z direct from Japan to the UK, and if so where from and how much did you pay for shipping and duty etc?

Thanks

I ordered my 64Gb Z direct from Japan last year. It was 350pounds (delivery inclusive) and 70pounds tax and duty. I am looking to sell it now. Let me know if you are interested. Cheers.

Mar 3, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #3,171 of 4,019
i also planned to buy the 64gb in japan but i would go buy the ak100 since i  would get them for much cheaper prices.I found that based on few tracks i played with them the ak100 is the winner between the two.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,176 of 4,019
Quote:
anyway the new xperia Z is really pissing me off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15PmY4h1HRU

Why?  It looks freak'n Awesome!  I'd probably hand my current "Z" to the kids to use and get the Xperia Z... if it comes to Verizon... if not, I have till September, then I'll probably jump ship.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #3,179 of 4,019
Quote:
it's not a good idea to use xperia z for music the batt life is pretty bad

Or any smartphone for that matter.

I recently gave up on using my Xperia S as music player because I couldn't make it through the day on one charge. I was getting 3-3.5 hours of screen time when it was doubling as my pmp, now I'm getting 4.5-5h. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #3,180 of 4,019
The reason that the Walkman Z has such great sound quality is b/c of the "S-Master Pro MX" digital amplification.  I'm doubt that the Xperia Z phones will feature the same digital amp though.  With that said, the sound might be as good as the S & E series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back