NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jan 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3,076 of 4,019
I just left it plugged in was what I meant, I want to make sure its fully juiced before I can find out how the battery operation is, I'll find out when I get home. Now I dug up a few things and one  suggestion is to put in "Airplane mode" before shutdown. Does'nt make sense to me, but it is claimed the Z's draw battery juice even when shut down and airplane mode helps with that.  If I don't get better life, then I'll try the firmware update. On the net there's various comments about the software, the battery, and the operation speed. The unit is a little more sluggish to use but not a major factor for me. The best part of the Sony package is that the "Go" software can take a FLAC and then transfer to walkman, or you can download it right on to the walkman too if you want.

Jan 31, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,077 of 4,019
Quote:
I wouldnt be concerned of the bass diminishing after the update, since it also increases the battery life,plays flac and many more software improvements. Also the bass can be adjusted using th equalizer. Just get a bassier headphone.
This is totally out of topic, but XB700 is great with Z (if you dont have it already)

About the screen protector and case,
For screen protector you can try the ''samsung galaxy 5.0 screen protector'' which you'll have to cut and take measurements if you want it to look 'professional'
For case, you can go to any walkmart store and look for 'case logic' cases that cost $9.99.

I purchased a case from ebay ($40) and 'suprisingly' the seller included a China made screen protector which is great

You mean walmart has the cases?  Wont they have to be specific for this walkman since the buttons have to be cut? What will it say on the packaging?

How much of a bass drop does the new update have?  Is it pretty noticable?

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #3,079 of 4,019
Quote:
You mean walmart has the cases?  Wont they have to be specific for this walkman since the buttons have to be cut? What will it say on the packaging?

How much of a bass drop does the new update have?  Is it pretty noticable?

I meant the case logic cases (which are quite sturdy) are for meant for internal hard drives. They fit the Z walkman through the elastic band and in the mesh pouch you can store the earphones & cable or either way.

Also in the clearance rack there were some unusual 'playstation' pouches. Unusual meaning they had this hard plastic bubble-wrap kind of feeling and looked like they could hold a Z too.

Feb 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3,080 of 4,019
Quote:
So, does anyone have a beat on Sony's future for MP3 players?  They have taken all but their W series sports MP3 off their website and I haven't seen or heard of anything new in the works. 

It look pretty dim.

Since apple has dominated the digital music industry with itunes and the ease for downloading music from the store & syncing it to ipods, there's seems to be no future unless they turn the tide and find a way to make it easy for us.

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,081 of 4,019
There is also a slight possibility they'll be merging their flagship Android Walkman lines with their new Xperia smartphones, but time will tell.
Personally I prefer having a dedicated DAP but if say the Xperia Z included the same amp and SQ I would be willing to make the jump.

Feb 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #3,083 of 4,019
Quote:
Sorry to steer this thread off-course, but has anyone tried using the HDMI output to pipe audio into a home cinema amp or similar?

I have used it in the past-see my post 2107 in this thread.  I haven't used it in a long time for the simple reason that I have most of my music loaded onto my PC using Sony X-App and I keep the HDMI cable handy for PC to amplifier connection.  With all that music available, I no longer use the Z with the amp, I use the Z for mobile use. Media Go could also be used instead of X-App.

Feb 2, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3,084 of 4,019
Im doing the update tonight finally to ICS.  Im going to do a factory reset after the update, does the reset erase the player or just reset settings?
How do i erase all the music from the player?

Feb 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #3,085 of 4,019
Well I've got to say I really don't like the sound of the Z after the ICS update. It's like they made it so that the music sounds great through the EX300s that it comes with, but everything else that I plug in sounds... very v-shaped. There's quite a helping of sub-bass, but mid-bass is almost gone. That being said, the bass was still overpowering when it was running Gingerbread.

Does using other music apps remedy this problem?

Quote:
31 days ago.

Cant swap for another cause the store discontinued it.

Also anyone know where to get cheap screen protector and case for this?  I only found 1 online and not willing to pay $13 for a protector and $20 for a rubber case.  I might even do without the case if people have found that the housing on this doesnt mark up easy.

Anyone here NOT using either?

I've been going a month without a case and screen protector.

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,086 of 4,019
Sorry to become a bit of a help-requester here, guys, but it seems I'm not lucky with the Z these days. I'm a bit desperate now, so I'd really appreciate any help. I turned off my Z last night and left it over the PC tower (which was off or hybernated at the time). I also left my wife's iPod Touch there. This morning, I tried to turn on the Z, but it didn't. No matter how long (or how many times) I pressed the on/off button, there were no signals of activity from the Walkman. I thought that perhaps the turn off last night had failed and that it might be out of battery, so I plugged it in to see if it charged. But still there were no signals of activity whatsoever from the device. To sum up, the Z doesn´t work anymore. As far as I know, it didn't fall or suffered any hits. I know the top of the PC´s tower is not the best place to leave it, but it doesn't really get hot. And the iPod works perfectly, so I don't know if it might have had anything to do with the failure to start. I live in a province where there are no Sony services (the nearest is some 1,100 km away) and unofficial services around here are usually not to be trusted. Plus, the Z series is not sold in Argentina by Sony, so I'm not sure even the Sony store would be a good place to go (1,100 km away, that is). I'd really appreciate any help you could give me, as I really love the Z, use it a lot, and it's a rather expensive piece of kit. Plus, I don't have easy access to replacements (importing stuff to Argentina has become a pain in the neck). Thanks!!!!

Feb 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,087 of 4,019
Please disregard my request for help. After I tried a few times, finally a reset worked and the Z seems to be in good working order again. Sorry to disturb with these requests, and thanks anyway!

Feb 3, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #3,088 of 4,019
Quote:
Well I've got to say I really don't like the sound of the Z after the ICS update. It's like they made it so that the music sounds great through the EX300s that it comes with, but everything else that I plug in sounds... very v-shaped. There's quite a helping of sub-bass, but mid-bass is almost gone. That being said, the bass was still overpowering when it was running Gingerbread.

Does using other music apps remedy this problem?

I've been going a month without a case and screen protector.

Not planning on getting a case and film? 

I do notice that the player actually is pretty good for not screatching up too easy, the gritty feel backside really helps.  But the screen I always protect, i managed to find pack of 6 quality ones for $2 shipped.   Ships from Germany so will be at least 3 weeks but if you can wait i think this is a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350705188710

Feb 3, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #3,089 of 4,019
Quote:
Not planning on getting a case and film? 

I do notice that the player actually is pretty good for not screatching up too easy, the gritty feel backside really helps.  But the screen I always protect, i managed to find pack of 6 quality ones for $2 shipped.   Ships from Germany so will be at least 3 weeks but if you can wait i think this is a bargain.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350705188710

Looks like a good deal, but what would you suggest to wipe down the screen before applying these?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back