NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jan 21, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #3,032 of 4,019
I used the USB charger that came with my Xperia Mini Pro... Didn't explode, charged fast... You might try another USB port on your computer, not all ports are made equal... That charger looks like a nice option though... And you can listen to your music while the Z charges, if that helps...

Jan 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #3,033 of 4,019
Quote:
I used the USB charger that came with my Xperia Mini Pro... Didn't explode, charged fast... You might try another USB port on your computer, not all ports are made equal... That charger looks like a nice option though... And you can listen to your music while the Z charges, if that helps...

all usb charger are 5V output right so i can buy any of those?

Jan 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #3,035 of 4,019
Quote:
I've been looking for a digital source and transport, I reckoned that a Dap with good quality Dac performance and line out could fulfill the criteria.
This Sony Walkman Z caught my attention.
I don't have the stubbornness to read up all this thread so I'll just make my questions here, hope someone can help me out...

Anyone compared the Line out of the Walkman Z to other Daps, like Hifiman HM-601, or IRivers, for example?
What is the consensus about the quality of the line out in this dap?
Can it compete with standalone 100 - 300$ Dacs?
What is the Dac chip used in this device?
And what is the power output (V) of the line out?
Does anyone know how to bypass the EU volume limit?
If there's any link for a source of substancial technical information of the Walkman Z I would apprecciate.

Thanks!

Here's the RMAA test for the Z (very similar to the DX100): http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060LineOut.htm
The DAC chip and power output are unknown, AFAIK about the volume cap, some say it's a software limit, others say that it is implemented using capacitors and till now, no one that I know of has been able to break it.
About the tech info, please make clear what kind of tech info do you require.

Jan 22, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #3,036 of 4,019
Quote:
Here's the RMAA test for the Z (very similar to the DX100): http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/Z1060/Z1060LineOut.htm
The DAC chip and power output are unknown, AFAIK about the volume cap, some say it's a software limit, others say that it is implemented using capacitors and till now, no one that I know of has been able to break it.
About the tech info, please make clear what kind of tech info do you require.

Thanks for that.
Regarding technical information inquiry, it's was about anything related to the components, chips and implementations which might have any influence in sound and in the potential for usefull hacking.
I just found that the Tegra2 SoC is employed in this device, I might get some usefull info reading about it... would like to know if this device could support different OS and USB audio output among other things...
Any additional info is apprecciated.

By the way, your previous question about downgrading ICS OS to GB confused me... I thought the Walkman Z was still using the older Android 2.3 OS and hadn't been yet upgraded to ICS?
Or am I missing something?

Does the EU volume limit affect line out too, or just HP out?

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:24 PM Post #3,037 of 4,019
So I recently purchased an Aune T1 Amp/Dac and paired my Z with that amp and a pair of Samson SR850s. The bass is much deeper and extended with this combo. It isn't overly deep though on Rock songs, but just right for Hip Hop and R&B. I also find that my music is more transparent. FLAC and 320 MP3s sound really good like the music is in my head and not just over my ears it as if the music is being delivered flawlessly with even realizing my headphones are on. It is nice.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:19 AM Post #3,038 of 4,019
Quote:
So I recently purchased an Aune T1 Amp/Dac and paired my Z with that amp and a pair of Samson SR850s. The bass is much deeper and extended with this combo. It isn't overly deep though on Rock songs, but just right for Hip Hop and R&B. I also find that my music is more transparent. FLAC and 320 MP3s sound really good like the music is in my head and not just over my ears it as if the music is being delivered flawlessly with even realizing my headphones are on. It is nice.

I really like this combo:

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3,039 of 4,019
Quote:

Thanks for that.
Regarding technical information inquiry, it's was about anything related to the components, chips and implementations which might have any influence in sound and in the potential for usefull hacking.
I just found that the Tegra2 SoC is employed in this device, I might get some usefull info reading about it... would like to know if this device could support different OS and USB audio output among other things...
Any additional info is apprecciated.

By the way, your previous question about downgrading ICS OS to GB confused me... I thought the Walkman Z was still using the older Android 2.3 OS and hadn't been yet upgraded to ICS?
Or am I missing something?

Does the EU volume limit affect line out too, or just HP out?

No tech info related to this device as it isn't very popular among the dev community (even ICS root is non-existent).
Multiple OS support is also something we don't have a word on. Plus, as answered earlier in the thread, NO usb audio support.

Download the official ICS update here: http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=NWZZ1050BLK&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

About the volume cap - If it's soft, then it won't affect the lineout, else it will. Although, I think there were some people who reported the effect was nullified when using the lineout. Try it yourself :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,040 of 4,019
Quote:
I'm trying to install the latest firmware that I downloaded from the Sony site, but I get this error message- The update tool failed to update the software of the NWZ1000 series(MSC)....
Has anyone else run into this? I have the Sony NWZ-Z1050

Hi everybody, I'm running into a very similar problem as dcfac73. I've been trying to update my Z to ICS, using a Windows 7 PC (although I generally use a Mac), but the updater does not seem to "see" the Walkman and reports an error message ("Please connect the device to be updated"), even if Windows does "see" the Z perfectly (at the same time). I bought it from Sony US, and I registered it in Argentina. I've trying using both the US firmware and the Latin American firmware, but I keep getting the same error message. Does anyone have a clue as to what may be happening? Thanks a lot!

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3,041 of 4,019
Im still amazed how good sounding this player is, anyone else feel the same way? Its the best sounding player ive ever had.

Ive done endless comparisions to my iphone 4 and even though i couldnt tell at first, now 1 month later i cam finally say this player has better SQ than iphone 4. The sony just seems brighter and more range.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #3,042 of 4,019
Quote:
Im still amazed how good sounding this player is, anyone else feel the same way? Its the best sounding player ive ever had.

Ive done endless comparisions to my iphone 4 and even though i couldnt tell at first, now 1 month later i cam finally say this player has better SQ than iphone 4. The sony just seems brighter and more range.

I haven't had the pleasure of getting this one yet...however I have owned 5 other walkman models and they are my favorite for sure.  I looked on Sony's website today and all of their models except the sport one are gone.  Didn't see anything other than the new W series at the CES this year.

Jan 24, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #3,043 of 4,019
This player sounds freaken awesome with the right earbuds/headphones.  I can easily distinguish between 320 MP3 and FLAC with the Z and sony's XBA-3 buds.  Do what you can to get ICS on there folks, it's worth it if you have the goods to enjoy it with.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #3,044 of 4,019
I agree 100%. It's the best player I've ever tried (never tried anything like Cowon's or iBasso, though). I'm completely happy with my Z1060, and I hope Sony doesn't stop supporting its Walkman line of products. It seems everybody's into smartphones, and DAP/DMP seem to be more like rarities these days. 
I'm trying to update to ICS now, to try FLAC.

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3,045 of 4,019
Quote:
Sony Walkman Z / Audio Technica ATH-M50 are perfect match what do you think guys? got this for a month now and its just awesome "PURE BRILLIANT SOUND"  IMO

I have this combo, it's great... Rocking Air's Surfing on a rocket...
L3000.gif
. To be honest it's kinda hard not listen to the Z with the XBA-4... It's a different sound, immersive, addictive... I have an utilitarian soul, it's difficult to accept having different headphones, however good - and I'm sure there's a step up to the ATH-M50s but they sound so good...

As for USB I'm pretty sure any standard USB port should work but I simply don't trust manufacturers, particularly PC related ones... I once had an external Creative Labs sound card and I could swear it was the one that killed all my USB ports
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back