NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2,821 of 4,019
I'm still hoping that one day, other DAP manufacturers will put some effort into their designs. I want my device to sound good, but I sure as hell do not want my device to look like a brick or have an interface from DOS days. Is it really that hard for Hifiman or other companies to create a decent looking playing with a nice GUI?

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #2,822 of 4,019
Quote:
I'm still hoping that one day, other DAP manufacturers will put some effort into their designs. I want my device to sound good, but I sure as hell do not want my device to look like a brick or have an interface from DOS days. Is it really that hard for Hifiman or other companies to create a decent looking playing with a nice GUI?

so true. They always disappoint for one or the other reason. Sony has his own problems but they are not as bad. Still love the design of the Sony X1000 series. Had everything you needed. from Physical buttons to touch screen.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #2,823 of 4,019
Quote:
so true. They always disappoint for one or the other reason. Sony has his own problems but they are not as bad. Still love the design of the Sony X1000 series. Had everything you needed. from Physical buttons to touch screen.

I've always had this unfortunate relation with physical buttons, so I prefer the whole less button driven interface. Works good enough for me.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #2,825 of 4,019
Quote:

If you love physical buttons, check out Sony NWZ-A86x series as it is a direct replacement to the X1000 series.  Sadly, the A86x may has already been discontinued as well.

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #2,826 of 4,019
Quote:
You can upload custom artwork too, I'm thinking something like this on the back in "high gloss" would make a statement on the Z.

f71a0_sony-logo.jpg

"Playstation 1" Nostalgia...I love this one...

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #2,827 of 4,019
Just upgraded my European Z to ICS and that made the Z even more enjoyable to use 
biggrin.gif
. I usually never use DSP or EQ but I am quite enjoying the new headphone clear phase setting. I am still not convinced whether the clear stereo improve things but leaving it on.

Dec 10, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #2,831 of 4,019
I am really puzzled by the clear phase setting which is supposed to be used only with Sony headphones 
confused.gif
. The sound is definitely more transparent and spacious with a bit less bass bloom when using my PFE232. When off the sound appears a bit more "organic". Both sounds good, just different.
I transferred a large number of flac but sadly many of them are not recognised....
frown.gif
 looks like only a limited level of rice parameter are supported.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #2,832 of 4,019
After more testing and my initial  excitement about the update I have to say the clear phase setting with my PFE232 really improve the sound  but sadly the stock player is really buggy/slow/crash with only flacs loaded. 
frown.gif

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2,833 of 4,019

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #2,834 of 4,019
Anyone looking to use "physical buttons" on the "Z", and not adverse to using a 3rd party application... you can use PlayerPro which uses the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to 'go back' and 'jump ahead' a track at a time. A long press changes volume level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back