NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Dec 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #2,776 of 4,019
Finally! So happy for the update! :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,777 of 4,019
So, what do you all think of this update?  I like it.  I have noticed a bug in the stock player when playing lossless files. There is lag when selecting different songs,
sometimes as long as ten seconds.  But other than that it seems to be okay so far.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #2,779 of 4,019
Quote:

Yes, pretty much the same.  Nice to have Flac supports though.  I'm going to have to test it out for a few more days to see how it operates.  

After playing flac and wave files, It seems to have a little difference in sq between ics and gb,

my impression are:

gb has more bass
ics more is clearer but less bass

I've tried to factory reset my walkman and will test again.

Anyway, I'm thinking, may be the soundsig of F800 and Z1000 become the same since both are running ics now.

I'm not sure but may be it's just me
blink.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #2,780 of 4,019
just updated to ics and did a factory reset as well...

putting all songs back in now.. it's gonna take a while...
dt880smile.png

for that walkman classics, the only thing it did is just the 360 pics?

edit: actually it can play music.. looks cool...
basshead.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #2,781 of 4,019
Quote:

After playing flac and wave files, It seems to have a little difference in sq between ics and gb,

my impression are:

gb has more bass
ics more is clearer but less bass

I've tried to factory reset my walkman and will test again.

Anyway, I'm thinking, may be the soundsig of F800 and Z1000 become the same since both are running ics now.

I'm not sure but may be it's just me
blink.gif

Probably just you.  :)  Not sure about the bass issue...but I doubt that.  This maybe the difference b/w going from Mp3 320kbps to FLAC.  The F800 and Z1000 don't sound alike but equally satisfying. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #2,783 of 4,019
Quote:

Probably just you.  :)  Not sure about the bass issue...but I doubt that.  This maybe the difference b/w going from Mp3 320kbps to FLAC.  The F800 and Z1000 don't sound alike but equally satisfying. 

Nope, before I only use wav files which is converted from flac file as a source

Ever since I used sony walkman x and z I've never go back to mp3

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #2,784 of 4,019
Quote:

Nope, before I only use wav files which is converted from flac file as a source

Ever since I used sony walkman x and z I've never go back to mp3

Still the Z and F, don't sound the same.  I'm not sure if it sounds any better but all of the Z's original traits are still there in comparison to the F.   Over all the Z is much improved in terms of operation.  I found it is a little bit more responsive but the F still a bit more nimble.

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #2,785 of 4,019
I found the ICS to be light years better than the gingerbread.
Before the update, Z operation is sluggish and unresponsive. Dual core Z perform worse than my single core ICS xperia ray android phone.
It almost made me feel embarrassed to use Z in the public. "Who is that poor sucker with that bulky and outdated thing!!"

After the update, everything is smooth and responsive. Almost no lagging in the music library and  W menu pops up much faster too. The default video player can finally play .avi file.
The biggest surprise is probably the OTG playlist that Sony has finally incorporated for the players without sonic stage.

There are still some small issues like search function needed to be improved but overall I am very happy with this update. 
beerchug.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #2,786 of 4,019
Quote:
Still the Z and F, don't sound the same.  I'm not sure if it sounds any better but all of the Z's original traits are still there in comparison to the F.   Over all the Z is much improved in terms of operation.  I found it is a little bit more responsive but the F still a bit more nimble.

No problem bro, since I've never heard F800, just got some idea about it's soundsig based from the other thread
bigsmile_face.gif

After factory reset it's almost same sq between  Z with GB rom and Z with ICS rom

But I still don't get it, Z with ICS is a little more brighter which makes my ear prone to listening fatigue

By the way I'm pairing my Z with tf10 + white angel cables

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #2,787 of 4,019
Quote:
I found the ICS to be light years better than the gingerbread.
Before the update, Z operation is sluggish and unresponsive. Dual core Z perform worse than my single core ICS xperia ray android phone.
It almost made me feel embarrassed to use Z in the public. "Who is that poor sucker with that bulky and outdated thing!!"

After the update, everything is smooth and responsive. Almost no lagging in the music library and  W menu pops up much faster too. The default video player can finally play .avi file.
The biggest surprise is probably the OTG playlist that Sony has finally incorporated for the players without sonic stage.

There are still some small issues like search function needed to be improved but overall I am very happy with this update. 
beerchug.gif

The difference between ICS and GB is so significant. The addition of allowing the GPU to do more rendering is one of the best parts, and the new Sony CEO is doing things right by giving us an ICS update. If this was under the old management, we would be stuck with the inferior GB. That said, I'm extremely happy with this. I don't even care if I'm getting Jellybean, because ICS is one of the best improvements right now from GB.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2,788 of 4,019
Quote:
The difference between ICS and GB is so significant. The addition of allowing the GPU to do more rendering is one of the best parts, and the new Sony CEO is doing things right by giving us an ICS update. If this was under the old management, we would be stuck with the inferior GB. That said, I'm extremely happy with this. I don't even care if I'm getting Jellybean, because ICS is one of the best improvements right now from GB.

I do hope we can get android updates in the future but I am not holding my breath either.
It's also interesting that both Sonystyle Canada and US have already discontinued Z1060 which is way too fast for their top of the line product.  

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #2,789 of 4,019
Quote:
I do hope we can get android updates in the future but I am not holding my breath either.
It's also interesting that both Sonystyle Canada and US have already discontinued Z1060 which is way too fast for their top of the line product.  

It's unfortunate, but their Z series were not moving in sufficient volume. I don't blame them, people do not want a big player. Their F series is selling at a pretty good price point and the size is appealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back