NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Sep 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #2,371 of 4,019
Quote:

when 4.0 was released (May/June?), Sony said the would be an upgrade for the WM-Z later in the year this was well before any mention of the F-Series, I see no reason for that to change... basically the WM-F is a scaled down version of the WM-Z with slightly less functionality but with the added benefit of Flac.

Ahh, thanks, I didn't know that so obviously there's no reason about the worries.

What can we expect with ICS, better or worse battery life? about sound quality? I read people with phones that they've upgraded to 4.0 with better sound quality.

Sep 21, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #2,372 of 4,019
Quote:
Ahh, thanks, I didn't know that so obviously there's no reason about the worries.

What can we expect with ICS, better or worse battery life? about sound quality? I read people with phones that they've upgraded to 4.0 with better sound quality.

battery life is pretty good on the WM-Z (I only use it for music)... sound quality is what you expect from Sony, imo it is very impressive & only loses out to one or two DAP's that cost a whole lot more, Turok is the best to ask if you want comparisons between other players.

what I'm interested in, what are the file-size differences between Flac and Atrac-lossless... and can you get album art onto the Z1070 (after update), using Flac via Media-Monkey.

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2,373 of 4,019
Quote:

battery life is pretty good on the WM-Z (I only use it for music)... sound quality is what you expect from Sony, imo it is very impressive & only loses out to one or two DAP's that cost a whole lot more, Turok is the best to ask if you want comparisons between other players.

what I'm interested in, what are the file-size differences between Flac and Atrac-lossless... and can you get album art onto the Z1070 (after update), using Flac via Media-Monkey.

My pleasure:

Sep 21, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #2,374 of 4,019
Quote:

I assume you've the JAP version, mine is a Z1060 EU so I think I can't play ATRAC.

Do you use the native music player? I installed Neutron and it works really well for music, and for tags too. I used to tag every song with the album art but now I put a single folder.jpg inside the folder and this is not recognized for the stock player.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #2,375 of 4,019
Originally Posted by dacari
I assume you've the JAP version, mine is a Z1060 EU so I think I can't play ATRAC.

Do you use the native music player? I installed Neutron and it works really well for music, and for tags too. I used to tag every song with the album art but now I put a single folder.jpg inside the folder and this is not recognized for the stock player.

yes the Z1070 is the Japanese-version of the WM-Z and I only use the stock-player... Atrac is only available of Z1070.

Now did some excellent work with regard to artwork on the thread-link below, it's towards the end, it was mainly aimed at the Z1070 (I'm crap around this stuff), so could be useful for you as he found a few ways to get artwork onto it using the WM-Z itself (artwork is only a problem for those outside of Japan using the Z1070, thought it best to clarify that).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-nw-z1070-japan-version-help-for-dummies-thread/90#post_8715953

Quote:
My pleasure...

cheers Turok... looks like there is a clear saving on memory if I switch to Flac... lets see if allows art-work via MM after update.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #2,376 of 4,019
I can confirm that Atrac Lossless uses more space, approximately 9-12% more in space requirement.  Once my Z can play Flac, I'll make the switch too.  That's around 12 to 20 albums worth in lossless files for my Z1070.

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #2,377 of 4,019
Quote:

yes the Z1070 is the Japanese-version of the WM-Z and I only use the stock-player... Atrac is only available of Z1070.

Now did some excellent work with regard to artwork on the thread-link below, it's towards the end, it was mainly aimed at the Z1070 (I'm crap around this stuff), so could be useful for you as he found a few ways to get artwork onto it using the WM-Z itself (artwork is only a problem for those outside of Japan using the Z1070, thought it best to clarify that).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/603440/sony-walkman-nw-z1070-japan-version-help-for-dummies-thread/90#post_8715953

Thanks OK-Guy, I'll read it.

In my case I only use mp3, but if you want to play FLAC why not use other third-party app which support it?

Is it possible that the update could be for some areas, only for japanese players for example? worries again 
blink.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #2,379 of 4,019
Quote:

Thanks OK-Guy, I'll read it.

In my case I only use mp3, but if you want to play FLAC why not use other third-party app which support it?

Is it possible that the update could be for some areas, only for japanese players for example? worries again 
blink.gif

I don't think you'd have to worry about any models being updated... the Flac question, I'm happy with Atrac-Lossless but Flac would open up some new possibilities that could be worth investigation (file-size, home system etc) though I only use my WM-Z as a portable device... in truth I had enough of uploading from CD lately to last me a lifetime, hmmm to do it all again.
confused_face.gif

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #2,380 of 4,019
Quote:
guys i need some help here. can the z1060 play mkv fileS?

The question would be... "can my player play Mkv files"... and the answer to that is ....   (using ES File Explorer and downloading Aliens 2 to my Walkman from my Synology NAS... be back in a minute).

Edit: Not natively... but with "Mobo Video Player".... yes.  I watched a few minutes of "Aliens" in 720p with Hardware acceleration...  It can stream... but... VERY SLOW!

Sep 23, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #2,381 of 4,019
Quote:
The question would be... "can my player play Mkv files"... and the answer to that is ....   (using ES File Explorer and downloading Aliens 2 to my Walkman from my Synology NAS... be back in a minute).

Edit: Not natively... but with "Mobo Video Player".... yes.  I watched a few minutes of "Aliens" in 720p with Hardware acceleration...  It can stream... but... VERY SLOW!

okay. thx for replying. appreciate ur help.

Sep 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #2,382 of 4,019
Quote:

I have 4 video players in case there is a file that cannot be played. Download MX Player, Dice Player and BS Player.

Sep 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #2,383 of 4,019
Quote:
I have 4 video players in case there is a file that cannot be played. Download MX Player, Dice Player and BS Player.

Just picked up a Nexus 7.... so I'll end up using that for my Android stuff... and my Z1060 will go back to being an AWESOME music player. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #2,384 of 4,019
Quote:
Just picked up a Nexus 7.... so I'll end up using that for my Android stuff... and my Z1060 will go back to being an AWESOME music player. 
biggrin.gif

I'm using my Z as a video/music player despite already owning a 3G GTab 7.7. There are times you simply do not wish to lug a bigger device around. If only I can stick my 7.7 into my back pocket.
blink.gif

Sep 24, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,385 of 4,019
Quote:
I'm using my Z as a video/music player despite already owning a 3G GTab 7.7. There are times you simply do not wish to lug a bigger device around. If only I can stick my 7.7 into my back pocket.
blink.gif

I'm dong the same thing from time to time.  I also like to report that a GPS app called "Copilot Live" is working perfectly on my Z1070 Jap.  It will set you back around $10 and it will work when wifi isn't available.  Very good GPS performance despite some outdated maps.  The North American Map consisting of USA & Canada will used up approximately 1.7GB of memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back