NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jul 11, 2012 at 6:19 AM Post #2,116 of 4,019
Quote:
It would be a brighter sound with an iPod.  The "Z" HP out isn't as bright, it's already laid back compared to iPod stuff.  I'd still get the 4.A, just be prepared to enjoy it more with the iPod.  Though, pair it with Line-Out and an amp... and the "Z" still sounds Great!

I got to agree, I used to have the iPod touch and loved the nice bright sound coming from it, till I upgraded to the Walkman Z and A, which are not as bright, but are a lot better in other departments. Looks like I need to consider an amp, haha. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2,117 of 4,019
got me the new Philips Fidelio M1's today (should arrive by Friday), another test-headphone for the WM-Z
tongue_smile.gif

Gotta call from 'Duncan-the-Usurping-Moderator' earlier... I excitedly told him I just bought some new cans, to which he replied 'funnily enough so have I, two-pairs'... no probs I thought until he went on to say (after I told him of my M1 purchase), that he to had bought the M1's and the L1's and had both pairs with him
confused_face.gif
 ... some people really test your patience when it comes to jealousy, still only a few days to wait.

Duncan... do a lil review with the WM-Z, gimme a lil tease... pleasey, pleasey

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #2,118 of 4,019
I had the L1 for more than a week 
biggrin.gif
. Sadly my EU Z doesn't provide enough volume and the L1 sounds noticeably better with an amp 
frown.gif
. Very enjoyable headphone with great bass , but likely to end in the sale forum.

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #2,119 of 4,019
Quote:
biggrin.gif
. Sadly my EU Z doesn't provide enough volume and the L1 sounds noticeably better with an amp 
frown.gif
. Very enjoyable headphone with great bass , but likely to end in the sale forum.

I've been inquiring about a Neco Soundlab amp... great value by all accounts, if you ask him he'll do a sale & return... I'm looking at the upgraded version (better op-amps).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140777170164?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Jul 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #2,120 of 4,019
Quote:
biggrin.gif
frown.gif

Hideously off topic (apologies Z'ers) - the L1s are weird in that they sound seriously overblown through the high gain on the Burson, but rather sedate through low gain - definitely the most difference I've heard between the two jacks on the same pair of 'phones...

Can definitely tell the family resemblence between L1 and M1 (even odds that an S1 will come soon as an IEM!)

Back on track, i'm looking forward to trying the M1 with my Z, seems that the tone of these will balance out the tone of the [Euro] Z quite nicely :)

Jul 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,121 of 4,019
Yesterday, i got the chance to compare 2 versions of walkman Z, the international 1050 bought in Singapore and Japanese Z1070 bought in japan. i gotta say the two of them has different soun signature. Not earth and sky different but more like house and condo different.

The international has a fuller low and mid and the ambiance is somewhat more enjoyable while the japanese is brighter and more airy. Again, if anyone has a different opinion, let's discuss it here

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #2,122 of 4,019
Quote:
Yesterday, i got the chance to compare 2 versions of walkman Z, the international 1050 bought in Singapore and Japanese Z1070 bought in japan. i gotta say the two of them has different soun signature. Not earth and sky different but more like house and condo different.
The international has a fuller low and mid and the ambiance is somewhat more enjoyable while the japanese is brighter and more airy. Again, if anyone has a different opinion, let's discuss it here

I have the Singapore A860 and the Japanese Z, and I think I agree.

Jul 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,124 of 4,019
Quote:
I have the Singapore A860 and the Japanese Z, and I think I agree.

Well, your two players shouldn't sound identical though b/c it is a different model despite sharing the same S-master pro version.  I have the US Z1060 and it sound slightly difference than my A walkman, but equally good just like your review said.   However, I can confirm that the  US A865 and South Asian/Jap A867 do sound identical when playing MP3 320 kbps.  The A867 EU is not as good sounding IMO.  

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #2,125 of 4,019
Quote:
Well, your two players shouldn't sound identical though b/c it is a different model despite sharing the same S-master pro version.  I have the US Z1060 and it sound slightly difference than my A walkman, but equally good just like your review said.   However, I can confirm that the  US A865 and South Asian/Jap A867 do sound identical when playing MP3 320 kbps.  The A867 EU is not as good sounding IMO.  

I see, that makes sense... 

Jul 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #2,126 of 4,019
Hey guys, firstly want to thank the OP & the whole thread, got my Z & I love it!

If anyone is curious, because I was but couldn't find anyone with this basshead combo...
I combined the following Z1050 + Fiio LoD + Fiio E11 + Ultrasone Pro900.
Sound is spectacular, especially with the stock player, the effects it has are way too good to switch to power amp, I also noticed that when listening to power amp I would get random hiss / click @ higher volumes but I think that might be the E11 + poweramp, also @ higher bass + sound it seems like it will lower / raise volume just for half a second like its trying to push out more juice to the headphones... maybe the E11 doesn't have enough juice. 

Bass is amazing, controlled hard, tight, rumbly when it needs to be but does not create distortion. Not very forgiving when it comes to MP3s, uncompressed wav sounds amazing though, I get my uncompressed from beatport & do not have many flac files so its not a big deal!

Sound level wise, I am usually one of those people that when hearing a song that I love I want to go deaf from it ( I know lol ... ) and the volume output is perfect, its not too much where I will have ringing in my ears after listening and need to readjust hearing but its not at a point where im like ugh what is this ... I WANT MOAR haha. 

I will compare this tomorrow to Ipod Touch / Classic / IPad with LoD with them right next to one another & post more info. 
I also tried a ZO2 & E17 with it, E11 has the best sound so far ... but I guess that is more to my liking, I like controlled strong power & presence in my music with clarity without having to raise the volume to deafening levels. 

(Side note: Believe it or not, this combo sounds MUCH better then my STX Xonar, kind of sad lol I was expecting more from the card) 

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,127 of 4,019
Seretonin,

The reason for the rise / fall in volume using Poweramp & Bass boost is that there is an anti-clip feature on Poweramp - you can disable this, but then you get clipping, so not worth it - a way around this, having the E11 as you do is to turn the volume of the player down, and that of the amp - up...

Hope this helps :)

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #2,128 of 4,019
Duncan... how's your Fidelio M1's burning in, is there much change further down the line?... I got about 9hours on them now (forgot to charge the WM-Z last night) and they're a little more detailed (I think).

bass goes well deep with certain songs... did you try them with a portable-amp yet, think I may need one to get the best out of these... I like these more than the Amperior at the same stage of burn-in.

Serotonin... nice one
beerchug.gif

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #2,129 of 4,019
I am looking to replace my breaking/dying 4th Generation iPod Touch 32GB - would this be a good next step?

I would mainly use it for Music (Duh), Browsing, and Email. The more features the better, but those are the three that I need filled. Is this what I need?

Jul 14, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #2,130 of 4,019
Quote:
Duncan... how's your Fidelio M1's burning in, is there much change further down the line?... I got about 9hours on them now (forgot to charge the WM-Z last night) and they're a little more detailed (I think).

bass goes well deep with certain songs... did you try them with a portable-amp yet, think I may need one to get the best out of these... I like these more than the Amperior at the same stage of burn-in.

Yes, they seem to be improving a little, sing quite sweetly with the Fiio E11 :)

The bass on them can be massive... like using Grado SR60s with Senn HD25 earpads!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back