NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jun 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2,028 of 4,019
Quote:
DigitalCurator,
Does the Z output sounds through HDMI when using the Sony and third party music players? or only when watching videos. If it does it could be  plugged straight into a dac such as the NAD51  
rolleyes.gif

Yes, I use it both with Poweramp and with the Sony Music Player and it sounds really good through HDMI. In order of sound quality I would say that as far as sound quality is concerned it would look something like this: FM Transmitter<Bluetooth<Headphone Out<USB (playing files from the folders)<HDMI. I am hoping one day HDMI will be in most car stereos.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #2,029 of 4,019
Quote:

When I go to my hi-fi dealer week after next I fully intend to see how the WM-Z integrates into a hi-fi system, that really intrigues me though I think the DAP that could be a killer player in a home system (prob about a years time) will be the DX100/200... I see that having a dual purpose but I essentially see my WM-Z as my portable of choice especially now I sorted the minor issue of album-art on the Z1070... the more I hear it the more I like it but I agree it is unforgiving, even in lossless format it can be very clinical on poorly produced CD's, some won't like its 'sometimes unforgiving' nature but hey, blame the CD & not the player.... the WM-X shows its metal against the WM-Z with older recordings with its richness of sound, especially with old soul-music, it's a delight in truth.

DC, are you in the UK?... I came across RS last year when watching 'Later with Jools Holland' on BBC (should be on BBC website, there's a dedicated page to JH's Show in the music-section), looked him up on Spotify and really liked this album because of the 'soul' on it, great stuff.... talking of Stax, I was listening to Booker T & the MG's last night (well produced CD so it's on the WM-Z), track called Melting Pot totally immersed me with the Z & Amps... this Band is so underrated, they were the main backing band for most of the Stax artist, I've heard Duane Allman also used to guest with them on certain tracks... can you imagine being in the same studio with that lot, nirvana doesn't come close.

Not in the UK. Far from it! I live in Ohio! :) I just remember him from back in the day. Jools Holland always has good guests on though. Pulp and Grinderman come to mind immediately. Booker T and the MGs I have on some Soul compilations and it is good stuff! Just thinking about the Sense Me feature on the Z and how interesting it is. I love just to play tracks by whatever mood I am in and the Z nails it with that Sense Me feature. It isn't perfect, but for the most part the moods are matched quite well. Soul usually falls in the Mellow category, as it should! 

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #2,030 of 4,019
Well, my sony z walkmann 64 gb arrived from japan  three days ago.
Honestly I was expecting something more in the quality of audio that anyway is good..
Compared with my galaxy note certainly I can say that Z  have a better sound but not much better as I expected.
The substantial difference is in a better cleaning of the low and also high frequencies, but again not a big difference.
I ran the tests with a slim ttvj / sennh hd 598 / hd 650
Perhaps simply the galaxy note already has a good quality..

Jun 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #2,031 of 4,019
Quote:
Honestly I was expecting something more in the quality of audio that anyway is good..
Compared with my galaxy note certainly I can say that Z  have a better sound but not much better as I expected.
The substantial difference is in a better cleaning of the low and also high frequencies, but again not a big difference.
Perhaps simply the notes already has a good quality..

Well, you always know that the difference in mp3 players is subtle compared to different headphones. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #2,034 of 4,019
Quote:
Perhaps simply the galaxy note already has a good quality..

Did you use an LOD cable or just connect the headphone-out to the amp?

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #2,035 of 4,019
I used a fiio lod cable+ttvj slim amp.
With galaxy note simply used the phone output + cable.
To me the simple combination walkman z + hd 650 without amp suffer a bit.
Hd 650 want an amp to get the best from Z.
Anyway just to clarify.... the Walkman Z is not a delusion at all. I love it and it is well listenig to my hear.

Maybe I'm never satisfied :D:D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Jun 30, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #2,040 of 4,019
Quote:
If you put a different player on here such as Winamp or some of the other quality players...does it allow the Sony to play gapless or is that strictly a hardware issue?

It should allow gapless with another music app.. My Samsung Android player's stock music app was not gapless but I've used other apps that were gapless on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back