NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Jun 16, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #2,011 of 4,019
OK-guy- your most recent post has me thinking of picking up a US WM-Z, as a current X1060 owner (it has served me very well for the last few years, and continues to do so for my portable/travel use). Having just bought a second-hand pair of ASG-1.2's, which tend to be just a bit soft in the treble, it sounds like the very character of the Z would help bring out the details a bit. 

Seeing as I've never even come close to filling up 32gb, I could pick up the US one from Amazon, and not have to worry about the volume cap issue. If I happened to be unhappy with it for some reason, Amazon stands behind everything with their good return service.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #2,012 of 4,019
Quote:
OK-guy- your most recent post has me thinking of picking up a US WM-Z, as a current X1060 owner (it has served me very well for the last few years, and continues to do so for my portable/travel use). Having just bought a second-hand pair of ASG-1.2's, which tend to be just a bit soft in the treble, it sounds like the very character of the Z would help bring out the details a bit. 

Seeing as I've never even come close to filling up 32gb, I could pick up the US one from Amazon, and not have to worry about the volume cap issue. If I happened to be unhappy with it for some reason, Amazon stands behind everything with their good return service.

CN11.....sod Amazon's return policy, I'll buy it off you for exactly what you paid for it if you don't like it... I'll daresay a few of my  fellow UK head-fi'ers would love that version too... perhaps Head-Fi could sort out 'accommodating buyer' thread where members from different countries could buy products that aren't available in other Head-Fi'ers countries... an intermediary if you want.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2,013 of 4,019
Quote:

a big thank-you for this... loving these two guys already
bigsmile_face.gif
... CB's The Telephone Song is quality

you may want to check this Album out... Raphael Saadiq - The Way It Is... it's more Northern Soul (UK thing), foot taping soul at it's best.. two naff tracks at the end, worth a buy (check it out on Spotify).

Raphael Saadiq has been around for awhile but I really like the direction he has gone in. I will have to get his latest album though, thanks for the rec. Love the Stax stuff. Been listening to Syl Johnson and David Ruffin lately too. Good stuff! Maxwell's latest is nice too if you like Raphael, I would recommend that.

Have you tried the Z with HDMI out? It sounds really good in my opinion on a stereo system. I think the blessing and the curse of the Z is its ability to indicate to me what quality something is. Anything under 224 kbps and I can tell right away (especially on a decent stereo system). 192 is passable, but anything under that I am going to have to delete and reburn or redownload to a higher bitrate. 

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #2,014 of 4,019
Also for what it is worth, I have a Samsung Galaxy S 4G and as a music player I think it sucks. The sound is thin and anemic. That is initially why I bought my Z. It would be great if I had an all in one device. But I haven't heard a phone that has reached the sound quality of the Z yet.

Jun 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #2,015 of 4,019
Quote:
Raphael Saadiq has been around for awhile but I really like the direction he has gone in. I will have to get his latest album though, thanks for the rec. Love the Stax stuff. Been listening to Syl Johnson and David Ruffin lately too. Good stuff! Maxwell's latest is nice too if you like Raphael, I would recommend that.

Have you tried the Z with HDMI out? It sounds really good in my opinion on a stereo system. I think the blessing and the curse of the Z is its ability to indicate to me what quality something is. Anything under 224 kbps and I can tell right away (especially on a decent stereo system). 192 is passable, but anything under that I am going to have to delete and reburn or redownload to a higher bitrate. 

When I go to my hi-fi dealer week after next I fully intend to see how the WM-Z integrates into a hi-fi system, that really intrigues me though I think the DAP that could be a killer player in a home system (prob about a years time) will be the DX100/200... I see that having a dual purpose but I essentially see my WM-Z as my portable of choice especially now I sorted the minor issue of album-art on the Z1070... the more I hear it the more I like it but I agree it is unforgiving, even in lossless format it can be very clinical on poorly produced CD's, some won't like its 'sometimes unforgiving' nature but hey, blame the CD & not the player.... the WM-X shows its metal against the WM-Z with older recordings with its richness of sound, especially with old soul-music, it's a delight in truth.

DC, are you in the UK?... I came across RS last year when watching 'Later with Jools Holland' on BBC (should be on BBC website, there's a dedicated page to JH's Show in the music-section), looked him up on Spotify and really liked this album because of the 'soul' on it, great stuff.... talking of Stax, I was listening to Booker T & the MG's last night (well produced CD so it's on the WM-Z), track called Melting Pot totally immersed me with the Z & Amps... this Band is so underrated, they were the main backing band for most of the Stax artist, I've heard Duane Allman also used to guest with them on certain tracks... can you imagine being in the same studio with that lot, nirvana doesn't come close.

Jun 17, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #2,016 of 4,019
DigitalCurator,
Does the Z output sounds through HDMI when using the Sony and third party music players? or only when watching videos. If it does it could be  plugged straight into a dac such as the NAD51  
rolleyes.gif

Jun 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #2,018 of 4,019
Quote:
I'm really, really tempted to sell my Z... I just do not use it anymore :frowning2:

I really must try and arrange a mini meet with OK-Guy (assuming London based) to see if it is the EU volume cap issue that is putting me off, or - if it just that I'm not a fan of the device outright...

Talking of 'slaughtering' things, my portable setup (in my sig below) absolutely decimates the Z for sound quality :frowning2:

How do you find the Z with just iem's HP out and if you have how did you find the MDR-Z1000's with the Z Walkman HP out or when amped?

I find the my Z1070 a good combination with my JH16's and the low bass end is more controlled and defined compared to the X series walkman. 

My concern was actually the pairing of my MDR-Z1000's with the Z1070, even though the Z drives them okay with some room left on the volume scale I found they were sounding as if it was not retrieving all the micro detail from each    instrument as it should be and did not have a full bodied sound, almost anemic in the way it presented itself as if it was not been driven with real authority even though these MDR-Z1000's are an efficient 24 ohms. 

Problem I have had up until now was I no longer have a desktop head amp to of verified my thoughts on this and sold my only porta amp (ibasso PB1) a while back so had been waiting in suspense to see if an amp would change things. 

I have now had for the last two weeks a TTVJ Slim amp (non dac version) and thankfully this has been what my ears have been waiting for with the MDR-Z cans.  Using this amp in conjunction has transformed the Z cans and has brought more fuller sound with it rendering detail more effectively without it ever struggling even with faster paced segments which the MDR-Z1000 can be accused of struggling at times has improved to a noticeable degree. 

The TTVJ has brought a warmer side to the proceedings which is reminiscent more back towards the X series Walkman whilst retaining a good level of air and space around each instrument been played. 
The Slim amp brings the mids to the fore, which is what I tend to not dislike (loved my old Shure SE530's for that reason) same for vocals which are more in my face now, more up front rather than slightly withdrawn but still not sure if an amp should really be the one deciding if it can bring colouration to the table or not, but have to say listening to the Z line out with the TTVJ slim my MDR-Z's are transformed like I have not heard them before. 

Have to note the improved soundstage the Z had over the X Walkman has gone to another level also with the slim amp  and precision and accuracy of channel steering now bring a chill to my spine when certain sounds pan left to right and back again with some songs. 

So for me the Z line out with an amp goes to another level for sure and has definitely help me decide at long last my MDR-Z's are a keeper as they do improve vastly with a amp ( a portable one at that) so cannot wait to get a dedicated top end desktop amp in the future. 

I have no qualms with the Z with my JH16's, which to me has refined on the X series in some areas such as more controlled bottom end, treble a bit more sparkle, clarity on top end which I think is down to a more powerful amp with the MXmaster with iem's, and a wider sound stage presence but it is the signature that has changed more than anything but still find my self turning to my X series quite a lot as I still enjoy the analog warmish but yet detailed non veiled/dark sound it produces despite hearing some of the improved refinements the Z has brought.  

I personally like the sig of both the X & Z but with the Z not really be truly pocket friendly or physical hard buttons for on the move the Z is becoming a flashy home walkman to be used with an amp (with the MDR-Z's) and just wonder for that reason alone long term if I will keep the Z long as I have my X. 

That won't happen until the Z replacement from Sony for me but if you can I would try a non EU cap before pulling the trigger and firing it out of the cannon. 

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #2,020 of 4,019
Quote:
One question
With the z 1000 can I play high resolutions track 24 96 mhz or even 24 192 mhz?
ThNks
Inviato dal mio GT-N7000 con Tapatalk 2

I think you meant 24Bit 96 khz or 24Bit 192 khz.  I just started trying Hi Res music on my WM a couple days ago.  24 /96 can be done and sounds wonderful.  If I get beyond that, I will repost.  Perhaps others have.  

For those that haven't tried Hi Res, 2L offers free downloads at http://www.2l.no/hires/index.html   See the username & password just above the file list.  Their Blu Ray Audio disc sets include "studio quality" FLAC, CD quality WAV, and that MP3 stuff-or just play it on your BD player.  Great stuff!  I sure hope this format takes off...

Jun 20, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #2,022 of 4,019
I ordered a 1070 from jp two days ago.
I have a sennheiser hd 598 that I think easily can drived by the z.
I also have a hd 650 I think to drive it with my ttvj, my question is
can the Z drive these without an amp? I think no, anyone had experience?
Senn hd 650 + ttvj slim + z 1070 I aspect so much by this config :).
What iem of good quality match very well with z and expecialy are confortable to wear?

Jun 20, 2012 at 4:24 PM Post #2,023 of 4,019
This interesting, first time i'll ever need to claim the warranty for any device.
Left my e17 running and walkman z on standby. 
I go to turn it on for browsing, it turns off, and now i can't get it to turn on or charge.
Will resetting do anything? I really don't want to load all my songs through that horrid usb1 cable and re-download all the apps by memory.
When i got it, it looked like i got a dud, kept crashing, volume rocker down didn't bounce back properly.
I'll probably get it replaced.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #2,024 of 4,019
Quote:
I ordered a 1070 from jp two days ago.
I have a sennheiser hd 598 that I think easily can drived by the z.
I also have a hd 650 I think to drive it with my ttvj, my question is
can the Z drive these without an amp? I think no, anyone had experience?

Senn hd 650 + ttvj slim + z 1070 I aspect so much by this config
smily_headphones1.gif
What iem of good quality match very well with z and expecialy are confortable to wear?

My American Z1060 can drive my HD 600's just fine. Medium volume on the Z produced semi-loud volume through the HD 600's and there is plenty of headroom.

The impedance of both the HD 600 and HD 650 is 300ohm so I believe your Japanese Z will drive them just fine assuming the Japanese Z is as strong or stronger than the American Z.

With yet higher-impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 600ohm, though, the Z1060 maxes out its volume at what I consider a "medium" listening volume so if you want high volume with 600ohm cans, you'll need an additional amp.

Jun 21, 2012 at 4:43 AM Post #2,025 of 4,019
OK. I've read all the thread. I personally own a NWZ-Z1070 from EU. It's right that it has a volume cap. In the next following days I'll try to open up my Z and tear it to pieces. But first i did a little research.
I own a Komplete Audio 6 SoundCard for ripping vinyls on-the-go. I wanted to analyze the freq. range and offset.
I bought a pair of Audioquest Yosemite cables to minimize the interference.
Tested the Z with this CD ripped tune: Lou Bega - Mambo Nr.5 - the ripped vinyls didn't work even with PowerAmp.
Recorded with the MME interface. The ASIO one is ****ty with Audition 6.
This is what i got:
Average from NWZ
Average from Original
Noise
Compare
If you want to see the other go here:
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7773/210minorginal.png - 2:10 from Original
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3002/210min.png - 2:10 from NWZ
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/2166/1minorginal.png - 1:00 original
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/6118/1min.png - 1:00 NWZ
AND The Tracks:
Lou Bega - Mambo Nr.5 Original
Mambo Nr.5 played by NWZ
BOTH ARE WAV's.
In Conclusion
a) The NWZ is colored from 1k to 20k
b) The EU model has a cap (the volume of the soundcard was at 100%)
c) I'll buy another head-amp because the FiiO E5 was not good at all. It had a THD&Noise co. bigger than my cheap Pioneer Receiver(i don't want to compare it to my Denon).
d) The NWZ is still a better buy than the IPod Touch but not as good as the iBasso DX-100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back