NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
May 2, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #1,532 of 4,019
The headphone out on my Z1060 is a double-edged sword... everything depends on the software and headphone/speakers used, here my impressions with various gear:

Focal CMS65 + CMS SUB: WONDERFUL! Here the sony software with clear stereo trumps over everything else. Bass, especially subbase is solid but fluffy the same time. Most people recognize this kind of bass from tube amps but the Z1060 is very uncolored otherwise. Great achievement from Sony.

Shure SH1840: Same as above, here the sony software can play it's strength well. NeutronMP for example sounds more transparent but also a good bit more boring.

Ultrasone Signature Pro: Can't really get satisfaction out of this combo, maybe the Signature Pro needs 100-200h more burn in but as of now (100-150h), i dont like the treble with this combination, no matter the software. Always a bit too harsh. The Ultrasones i tried (not the Sig Pro..) sound unbelievable out of the Xonar Essence One so i guess it's a matching issue..

Sony MDR-EX510LP: Got this via amazon warehouse deals, the sound through the Z1060 is too clean. Mids are very transparent for this priceclass but through the Z the sound lacks impact. My SE ARC has a more punchy and impactful sound, though less detailed and "2d" like.... oh well...

May 2, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #1,533 of 4,019
Quote:
The headphone out on my Z1060 is a double-edged sword... everything depends on the software and headphone/speakers used, here my impressions with various gear:

Focal CMS65 + CMS SUB: WONDERFUL! Here the sony software with clear stereo trumps over everything else. Bass, especially subbase is solid but fluffy the same time. Most people recognize this kind of bass from tube amps but the Z1060 is very uncolored otherwise. Great achievement from Sony.

Shure SH1840: Same as above, here the sony software can play it's strength well. NeutronMP for example sounds more transparent but also a good bit more boring.

Ultrasone Signature Pro: Can't really get satisfaction out of this combo, maybe the Signature Pro needs 100-200h more burn in but as of now (100-150h), i dont like the treble with this combination, no matter the software. Always a bit too harsh. The Ultrasones i tried (not the Sig Pro..) sound unbelievable out of the Xonar Essence One so i guess it's a matching issue..

Sony MDR-EX510LP: Got this via amazon warehouse deals, the sound through the Z1060 is too clean. Mids are very transparent for this priceclass but through the Z the sound lacks impact. My SE ARC has a more punchy and impactful sound, though less detailed and "2d" like.... oh well...

Hmm, nice review, but do you find the Z to be hard to power headphones? I usually use it with IEMs and my ATH-SQ5 which seeing it's portable, have no problem. 

P.s. nice profile pic. 

May 2, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #1,534 of 4,019
Quote:
Hmm, nice review, but do you find the Z to be hard to power headphones? I usually use it with IEMs and my ATH-SQ5 which seeing it's portable, have no problem. 

P.s. nice profile pic. 

This question is still open on my EU capped Z... the Shure is the hardest to drive and it gets loud enough for my taste and also the speakers dont need that much of an impactful bass to sound nice. With the others i definately wish for more punch, not neccesarily volume. My ARC S delivers more of both. I would consider the japanese version but i dont like importing anymore because everything ends up at my local customs office no matter how much documents are included and i have to pick it up locally which is extremly annoying after being there way too often the last years :wink:

May 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #1,535 of 4,019
Quote:

This question is still open on my EU capped Z... the Shure is the hardest to drive and it gets loud enough for my taste and also the speakers dont need that much of an impactful bass to sound nice. With the others i definately wish for more punch, not neccesarily volume. My ARC S delivers more of both. I would consider the japanese version but i dont like importing anymore because everything ends up at my local customs office no matter how much documents are included and i have to pick it up locally which is extremly annoying after being there way too often the last years :wink:

I see, so I guess the volume cap isn't really a problem for you. The volume on my Japanese Z goes up to a volume that basically flat out destroy any smartphone I have heard though. Most smartphones I know of often have to be at the full volume to even power up IEMs. Well, it isn't really worth it to get another Z if you already have one unless you have an undisposable income. 

May 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #1,536 of 4,019
Quote:
I see, so I guess the volume cap isn't really a problem for you. The volume on my Japanese Z goes up to a volume that basically flat out destroy any smartphone I have heard though. Most smartphones I know of often have to be at the full volume to even power up IEMs. Well, it isn't really worth it to get another Z if you already have one unless you have an undisposable income. 

Good to know, i might be considering a portable amp in the 100-200$ range for some added uumphh and coloration :)
I also wrote to sony about my thoughts on the volume cap but here in germany i'm pretty sure that will go completely unnoticed..

May 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #1,537 of 4,019
Quote:
The volume on my Japanese Z goes up to a volume that basically flat out destroy any smartphone I have heard though. 

Does it go up to 11?  Mine only goes to 10...

May 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #1,540 of 4,019
UGH! Watch this! 

May 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #1,543 of 4,019
May 3, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #1,544 of 4,019
Quote:

#are you selling these all the time or is it a one off ?

may have some great news on leather cases for the WM-Z next week, watch this space.

Was just about to order one of those leather ones from the US...im interested :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back