NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #1,501 of 4,019
looks good but i dont like big screen
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #1,503 of 4,019
Quote:
bought me a X1060 whilst I await on a few things, paypal outcome, my new headphones that are yet to be released and finally deciding on which WM-Z to get..... again.

Haha...you have bought a ridiculous amount of Sony DAP´s over the past month LOL 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with those scammers! 

Apr 30, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #1,505 of 4,019
bought me a X1060 whilst I await on a few things, paypal outcome, my new headphones that are yet to be released and finally deciding on which WM-Z to get..... again.

Do you bought the Walkman X from a store, brand new? Could provide a link, please?
Thank you in advance.

As for the Z Series, nice piece of kit.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #1,506 of 4,019
This may have been covered and I overlooked it, but does the Z series support gapless playback?  I would doubt it, since Sony doesn't seem to be interested in that.  Which is strange to me because Sony makes no bones about letting everyone know their players are about the music experience.  I gotta tell ya, listening to something like The Wall without gapless playback ISN'T the best music experience I can get.

Even my Sansa Fuze+ offers gapless. 

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #1,507 of 4,019
Quote:
This may have been covered and I overlooked it, but does the Z series support gapless playback?  I would doubt it, since Sony doesn't seem to be interested in that.  Which is strange to me because Sony makes no bones about letting everyone know their players are about the music experience.  I gotta tell ya, listening to something like The Wall without gapless playback ISN'T the best music experience I can get.

Even my Sansa Fuze+ offers gapless. 

Not with the stock software but because its android you can install another player that allows gapless and crossfade, aswel as a 10 band EQ etc, Poweramp and Playerpro are the 2 main apps that allow this and sound awsome! 

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,509 of 4,019

Quote:

I got to agree that the big screen makes it really large overall. Not good for casual portable use.

It fills my pocket.... lol, but i do take it with me.

Apr 30, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #1,510 of 4,019

Quote:
looks good but i dont like big screen
biggrin.gif

Incorrect response!!

I went to both the Sony Store and the Apple Store yesterday.

I played with the Ipod Touch 4G and the Walkman Z. Despite the former having an insane pixel density, the latter was easier to web surf on. Bigger screen = bigger text, and the control buttons- back, home, menu- were off the screen saving screen real estate for content viewing.

I do wish the Z was overall narrower, shorter and thinner, though, as are many Android smartphones, esp those by Motorola.

If you want a smaller player, you may buy the Walkman A Series.

wink.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #1,511 of 4,019
As requested by OK-Guy some info on the Digizoid ZO2 with the WM-Z...im not much of a reviewer so bare with me haha 
biggrin.gif

First off I would just like to say how portable this setup is...the ZO2 is TINY...very small in all dimensions, and coming from the Fiio E11 this was a major plus in my book as i hate carrying around a brick, and this setup is very portable IMO! Its light too which helps allot also, and the thing looks lovely with the coloured light sowing what bass contour and volume you have set!

I know what your all thinking at this time...light and small... it must be crap and have poor build quality...but no, its a fantastically made little thing, nice soft to touch rubberised material, like what Bitfenix uses on their PC cases.

there are 2 gain modes...high gain and low gain...I am using low gain to try and proect my hearing as with the high gain i was creeping the volume higher and higher as if you continue reading the thing is just so immersive, and when pausing for a minute i soon realised volume was excessive to say the least LOL 

Now for the most important thing...what it does to the sound:

Now this is coming from a guy who is not a big amp person...and before my time with the ZO2 the Fiio E11 and E9 I had a while back I thought that it didnt really offer much to the sound out of easy to drive stuff like IEM´s but this is where the ZO2 comes into its own. This thing ads so much musicality to your music it makes everything sound much more fun and i am finding myself tapping my feet to literally everything i throw at it...and this is right up my alley, but maybe not to those who want to keep things neutral.

The seemingly litmitless bass contour settings is fantastic...it can transform most bass light IEM´s into basshead territory, and good quality bass at that, with zero distortion, its quite unreal how it manages to do this!

Besides working wonders in the bass area...the overall addition to the SQ throughout the entire ferquency is great...bass does NOT bleed into the mids, and they sound more "liquid" for lack of a better term, the highs seems to extend a little better too which was a great surprise for me! The soundstage has improved slightly too, which when paired with the Sony WM-Z the synergy is just great...Trance has never sounded better...and form a portable source this is just crazy! Im beginning to listen to this setup more than my Creative Titanium HD at home...as i just dont feel i am loosing out on anything which is unreal for the small price the ZO2 is which transforms the Sony WM-Z from a good sounding DAP to a great one...there is really nothing that is negatively affected by the ZO2...and its not just for bassheads as it does add to the other areas of the music! 

Another totally strange thing i noticed with this amp is how it sounds great from the headphone out of the WM-Z aswel as the LOD...and so i grabbed a cable from Matez to compare against the Fiio L5 and i actually prefer the sound from the HP out, although there is probably a tad more detail from the LOD there is greater warmth and muicality from the HP out...and when paired with the ZO2 the synergy is just great...the most fun sounding setup i have heard, and I use CKS77´s with this setup and i must say people need to try this out for themselves...i have never been immersed in my music like this before...this is the definition of fun LOL! And a dream for bassheads...I honestly didnt think that music could have such authoritive bass whilst retaining so much detail and finesse, it really is unreal. Doesnt quite have the same effect with other IEM´s i tried so i highly reccomend some CKS77´s if anyone is thinking of getting some new IEM´s or even headphones as the depth this setup posses you would never think could be posible from a driver of 12mm in size...its like having a 2.1 setup in your head...check out the thread for how Dsnuts was banging on about this but there is no better way to describe this sound...sorry to have gone off topic but i dont think the full ZO2 experience can be heard without the CKS77´s haha 

Sorry to go off topic a little toward the end but go get yourslef a ZO2.3 and CKS77! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #1,512 of 4,019
You know what... Since my LOD connector broke, I turned it into a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector. I agree that LOD affords more clarity, but the headphone out is great! I put my mini up against a radio shack one (smoked it). Then up against a Griffin one, much better....but my mini still sounds better. So, I had a friend take a listen... He completely agreed with my assessment, and suggested I never use the radio shack one again... but I have to keep the Griffin one. I use it in car to attach my 4s to the stereo and stream Jazz from Pandora....to find new and interesting Artists. Long winded, yes...but I agree with danny93....headphone out on the Z is great.... Reminds me of when I had a desktop Tube amp. :D

Danny93, what speaker is that in the background? I'm thinking of do an Audioengine setup with their DAC and a5+ speakers tied to an Airport Express (of course I'd add their 8" sub too).

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,513 of 4,019

Quote:
Do you bought the Walkman X from a store, brand new? Could provide a link, please?
Thank you in advance.
As for the Z Series, nice piece of kit.

I bought a nine month old one on ebay which has only 10cd's on it... hubby bought it for his wife but she hardly used it.... it was at £58 with five days to go, I offered £140 & we settled on £150, comes with leather case, unused headphones, car-kit, clear case etc so a bit of a bargain in truth.... aint come accross any new ones but there's a couple of nice X1060's on www.ebay.co.uk

I going back to go forward so to speak.... I'm gonna practise different formats on the WM-X, when the Amp's are released I'll then be in a position to start again... I'll probably sell the WM-X in about two months & get another WM-Z and prob a DX100 in late May... I'll have all three to judge then but I have other uses for the DX100 and if that doesn't pan out I'll unload that as well as I only need a portable DAP at the end of the day... I prefer my hi-fi for home use.

Danny... cheers for that COYI

Apr 30, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #1,514 of 4,019
Quote:
You know what... Since my LOD connector broke, I turned it into a 3.5mm to 3.5mm connector. I agree that LOD affords more clarity, but the headphone out is great! I put my mini up against a radio shack one (smoked it). Then up against a Griffin one, much better....but my mini still sounds better. So, I had a friend take a listen... He completely agreed with my assessment, and suggested I never use the radio shack one again... but I have to keep the Griffin one. I use it in car to attach my 4s to the stereo and stream Jazz from Pandora....to find new and interesting Artists. Long winded, yes...but I agree with danny93....headphone out on the Z is great.... Reminds me of when I had a desktop Tube amp.
biggrin.gif

Danny93, what speaker is that in the background? I'm thinking of do an Audioengine setup with their DAC and a5+ speakers tied to an Airport Express (of course I'd add their 8" sub too).

Good to hear Im not crazy regarding the HP out...and sorry for the lengthy review, I´ll try and cut it down a little tomorrow! 

Speakers are MicroLab Solo6c...really unbelievable for the price, I was actually thinking of starting a thread on them as there are honestly GREAT value for an active set of spekers! Soundstage is a little narrow but clarity, and highs are all very good...bass even shocked me quite a bit for such small speakers, but I had already bought a used wharfedale SW150 10" subwoofer, and I have to admit this setup really has to be up there for one of the best bang for buck things i have ever gotten, compared with my parents B&W 684 floorstanders with an arcam solo neo, my 2.1 setup > Titanium HD really does compete well considering its a fraction of the price!
You may want to look into some Swan actives, they are meant to be good too, although a little expensive :p 

Apr 30, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #1,515 of 4,019

Quote:

Good to hear Im not crazy regarding the HP out...and sorry for the lengthy review, I´ll try and cut it down a little tomorrow! 

Speakers are MicroLab Solo6c...really unbelievable for the price, I was actually thinking of starting a thread on them as there are honestly GREAT value for an active set of spekers! Soundstage is a little narrow but clarity, and highs are all very good...bass even shocked me quite a bit for such small speakers, but I had already bought a used wharfedale SW150 10" subwoofer, and I have to admit this setup really has to be up there for one of the best bang for buck things i have ever gotten, compared with my parents B&W 684 floorstanders with an arcam solo neo, my 2.1 setup > Titanium HD really does compete well considering its a fraction of the price!
You may want to look into some Swan actives, they are meant to be good too, although a little expensive :p 

I meant I was long winded... not your review... it was good.  Don't change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back