NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #1,471 of 4,019

Quote:

Pretty soon you will feel unlucky and want more GB's I promise you.
wink_face.gif

For portable situation, approx. 150 albums in lossless are fine.  I have Archos 5 500GB that play nothing but FLAC for that.  
bigsmile_face.gif
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #1,472 of 4,019

Quote:

I was going to reply with the exact same comment.  With good materials and a custom IEM, it is worth it with lossless files.  I was like everyone else and was pretty satisfied with my A867 playing 320kbs MP3 until I discovered that my A walkman is able play ATRAC Lossless.  With my A867 playing good lossless materials + JH13pro, I'm a very happy camper!  

The reason I prefer lossless over 320kbps is that the image is noticably more solid, bass reaches lower, and slightly lusher midrange.  Of course, it isn't a night and day difference but during a critical listening, the improvements are really worthwhile for me.  Luckily I have nearly 60 GB of storage to work with.

And the down side when you get a poorly mastered recording not done well at all it's the opposite  as if it amplifies how bad it can sound with something like the Z and a pair of JHpros.

I found in addition when I got my X series & JH16's that WAV files was along the same lines as you mentioned about 320kps and also felt the over all sound was more full bodied, less anemic with a sense of more air & space and notes where rounded of better with more clarity and detail.  

It's more micro detail within the note that improves and the lower notes sound more controlled having that more detail to be heard as well as noticing it extend further. Symbols are most probably the first thing that is easier to pick out as they sounded less splashy and more of zing to a symbol clash.  It's all these subtle differences that make a big difference after prolonged listening.

Will be giving Atrac lossless a try this weekend anyway due to the Z1070 here in UK not working to well with tagging/ album art using wav files in wmp. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #1,473 of 4,019

Quote:

And the down side when you get a poorly mastered recording not done well at all it's the opposite  as if it amplifies how bad it can sound with something like the Z and a pair of JHpros.

I found in addition when I got my X series & JH16's that WAV files was along the same lines as you mentioned about 320kps and also felt the over all sound was more full bodied, less anemic with a sense of more air & space and notes where rounded of better with more clarity and detail.  

It's more micro detail within the note that improves and the lower notes sound more controlled having that more detail to be heard as well as noticing it extend further. Symbols are most probably the first thing that is easier to pick out as they sounded less splashy and more of zing to a symbol clash.  It's all these subtle differences that make a big difference after prolonged listening.

Will be giving Atrac lossless a try this weekend anyway due to the Z1070 here in UK not working to well with tagging/ album art using wav files in wmp. 

Yep, pretty much agree here.  Regarding album art w/ ATRAC Lossless, why not just re-rip your CD fresh using sonicstage 4.3 software? I know it is time consuming but my ATRAC Lossless files all come with album arts using this method.  Converting from wave files won't do you any good though.  I sure wish Sony supports FLAC! 
angry_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,476 of 4,019

Quote:

Quote:

Luckily I have nearly 60 GB of storage to work with.

Pretty soon you will feel unlucky and want more GB's I promise you.
wink_face.gif

hehe, I ended up finding a 32gb J3 for myself, lostid.  I'm super glad I didn't get sucked into getting a Sony z1070 or other model

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #1,477 of 4,019
The LOD that I turned into the "Copperhead" LOD had an issue with it (garbage LOD!)  The pins lifted from the PCB... so I lose sound if you move it too much.  Anyone have an idea for another type of LOD?  I don't want to rip apart my Fiio LOD (as I know it will be of better quality than the one I did tear apart and use).  Looking for suggestions.

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,479 of 4,019

Quote:

hehe, I ended up finding a 32gb J3 for myself, lostid.  I'm super glad I didn't get sucked into getting a Sony z1070 or other model

I am still undecided on whether or how long I will keep the J3. I still prefer my ipod video over the J3 for the type of music (primarily classical) I listen. But I love the battery run time, radio and video of the J3. Not fan of the EQ's or BBE's.

Glad you are happy with the J3. Enjoy.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #1,480 of 4,019

Quote:

I am still undecided on whether or how long I will keep the J3. I still prefer my ipod video over the J3 for the type of music (primarily classical) I listen. But I love the battery run time, radio and video of the J3. Not fan of the EQ's or BBE's.

Still using your IE80s?

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,483 of 4,019

Quote:

Quote:

I think I'll prefer the more warm sound of the Cowon (I'm guessing) since i find the Wolfson/Voodoo in galaxy s phones to have that sound.  The iPod 5.5 I just sold definitely sounded more cold and neutral.  What video do you put on the J3?  I don't imagine myself watching any videos on the 3.3" screen....  it doesnt' have MKV support either, I don't think.   My wife's Galaxy S2 natively supports MKV files which is super convenient... plus that huge 4.3" screen

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #1,484 of 4,019

Quote:

So you just got the EX1000? Nice! 

My EX600's cable broke so I sent it back to Sony's service center for replacement. Unfortunately they ran out of the EX600 and instead sent me a pair of EX1000 without my approval. So that was disappointing but I won't complain about it.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I think I'll prefer the more warm sound of the Cowon (I'm guessing) since i find the Wolfson/Voodoo in galaxy s phones to have that sound.  The iPod 5.5 I just sold definitely sounded more cold and neutral.  What video do you put on the J3?  I don't imagine myself watching any videos on the 3.3" screen....  it doesnt' have MKV support either, I don't think.   My wife's Galaxy S2 natively supports MKV files which is super convenient... plus that huge 4.3" screen

I totally agree with you on how you hear about the ipod video and J3. But our preferences appear to be the opposite. As for video, I like it plays the avi's and I loaded some concert performances in that video format. I have a couple of trips coming in the next a few months and definitely will load some movies to watch during the flights. That may well be one of the reasons I will keep the J3.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #1,485 of 4,019

Quote:

So you just got the EX1000? Nice! 

My EX600's cable broke so I sent it back to Sony's service center for replacement. Unfortunately they ran out of the EX600 and instead sent me a pair of EX1000 without my approval. So that was disappointing but I won't complain about it.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

I totally agree with you on how you hear about the ipod video and J3. But our preferences appear to be the opposite. As for video, I like it plays the avi's and I loaded some concert performances in that video format. I have a couple of trips coming in the next a few months and definitely will load some movies to watch during the flights. That may well be one of the reasons I will keep the J3.

Disappointing? That's a steal! You have effectively got something 2.5x the cost of the EX600 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back