NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 27, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,456 of 4,019

Quote:

Quote:

Get it.  Not to mention that ATRAC Lossless is incredible sounding as well.

I agree, really  my Sony Z with my choice of tracks (Fleetwood/Mecano/C.U.B.A. & Rodrigo y Gabriela - Area 52....), keeps on surprising me..you need good quality recording and lossless as your source to get the max out of today's DAPS

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,457 of 4,019

Quote:

I agree, really  my Sony Z with my choice of tracks (Fleetwood/Mecano/C.U.B.A. & Rodrigo y Gabriela - Area 52....), keeps on surprising me..you need good quality recording and lossless as your source to get the max out of today's DAPS

I use 320kbps AAC and it's already pretty good :). Just find not a need to have lossless for portable devices. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #1,458 of 4,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use 320kbps AAC and it's already pretty good :). Just find not a need to have lossless for portable devices. 

Im with you on that one 
biggrin.gif

BTW you guys have got to try the Digizoid ZO2 with the Sony! That and my CKS77´s just sounds epic haha 
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #1,459 of 4,019

Quote:

Quote:

I like my songs to be "Lossless", if you catch my drift....
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #1,461 of 4,019

Quote:

Spot on with the recordings have to be a good quality to start with. I still only use cd's so a lot of the time I buy Japanese cd pressings if I can as they sound so much better to pressings i would get here in the UK with EU cd's (for exception of German pressed cd's).

Fleetwood Rumours remastered and The Dance live album sound awesome on the Z, Rodrigo y Gabriela are good quality recordings that make those fast string work come to life. 

Dire Straits the first album on the Z is up there in terms of the what you can squeeze out of the Z. 

Could go on, Joe Bonamassa, Muse, Tori Amos, Lissie,  Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Lana Del Ray, Fllorence & Machines, Unkle, Vintage trouble are ones that are making my Z rock at the moment. 

Quote:

I once used 320kps AAC when I had a pair of Shure SE530's which I use to adore the sound from them and was happy but once i got my first custom monitors it really was a stark difference I had no choice but to go with WAV at the time with my Sony X1060 as there was a noticeable difference and decided to compromise on the storage space available for the sake of the extra quality to be had.

So for me going from a pair of good universals to those customs was night and day to the point it was starting to bug me listening to AAC even though I was happy as Larry using it with my SE530's.

Hopefully i will with the Z get away with using Atrac lossless which I will be testing this weekend hopefully. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #1,462 of 4,019
Hey guys, probably a silly question but I've read all 98 pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I've got the little beast from Japan as well, the 32Gb version as the 64 cost just a bit too much for a university student.

My question is: Is there any way to reduce the start up time of the Z? I keep on shutting it down in order to preserve battery life and I guess I'm just being impatient and not wanting to wait too long to get to my tunes. What do you guys do? Do you shut it down fully or just keep it on stand by?

Ps. Thank you "alphabetagaga" for the post about changing the keyboard input. I've been struggling to get it away from the portrait mode, not any more :)

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #1,464 of 4,019

Quote:

I once used 320kps AAC when I had a pair of Shure SE530's which I use to adore the sound from them and was happy but once i got my first custom monitors it really was a stark difference I had no choice but to go with WAV at the time with my Sony X1060 as there was a noticeable difference and decided to compromise on the storage space available for the sake of the extra quality to be had.

So for me going from a pair of good universals to those customs was night and day to the point it was starting to bug me listening to AAC even though I was happy as Larry using it with my SE530's.

Hopefully i will with the Z get away with using Atrac lossless which I will be testing this weekend hopefully. 

Good luck to you then! 

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #1,465 of 4,019
BTW you guys should get Unified remote for your Z...its so cool...you control your computer from your Sony Z through the wireless network, i.e when you swipe your finger on the screen of the Sony Z the mouse on your computer moves, can increase and decrease volume aswel, change tracks with foobar...through dedicated remotes in the app etc, so cool! 

Quote:
My question is: Is there any way to reduce the start up time of the Z? I keep on shutting it down in order to preserve battery life and I guess I'm just being impatient and not wanting to wait too long to get to my tunes. What do you guys do? Do you shut it down fully or just keep it on stand by?

General tips for battery, decrease brightness and time to lock screen (likely around 70-80% of your battery is due to your screen!) I never turn off my Z, but i use a ZO2 (amp) with it so this helps with battery!

Well for quicker boot times you will need to root your Z first for the best apps I use this... http://androidspin.com/2010/06/15/app-review-autorun-killer-speed-up-your-boot-times-and-improve-performance/

You can also try out http://www.appbrain.com/app/android-assistant(18-features)/com.advancedprocessmanager if you dont wanna root your Z
With this app you can dissable apps from starting up on boot...and this will improve boot time, I dont think you need to root for this also! (BTW dont block any system apps from starting up...dont think you can do that without rooted rights but just to be on the safe side i thought id mention it haha) 

EDIT: First app would be much better...just posted the second if you didnt want to root it, go on youtube for a tutorial, ..you can unroot it BTW...its so easy to root though my 10 year old lil sister could do it! You will need to be on older firmware though! 

Also when your rooted...you can install an app called betterbatterystats and this will show you what is causing the most battery issues in terms of waking the phone up when its asleep "screen off with no music playing" and you can then freeze this app...increasing battery! Also I may try out Juicedefender as it works great on my SGS2 phone but its more for controling mobile data so dunno if this will help on the Z I´ll let you know (again need to be rooted) Loads of benefits for rooting...just google best rooted apps or something! But word of warning dont use an app that changes CPU frequancy, there have been reports saying it messes up the Z, and you could potentially brick it! So i only use it for my SGS2 and left it on the Z 

I am going to try undervolting after allot of thought...as this will not change any of the frequencies and so cannot see this doing any harm what so ever, but still a little nervous about that haha :p 

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #1,466 of 4,019

Quote:
Hey guys, probably a silly question but I've read all 98 pages of this thread and couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I've got the little beast from Japan as well, the 32Gb version as the 64 cost just a bit too much for a university student.

Ps. Thank you "alphabetagaga" for the post about changing the keyboard input. I've been struggling to get it away from the portrait mode, not any more :)

I found that my Z-1070, consumed about 2-3% of battery power, every 48 hours when on and wifi,sync,background sync....are off.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,467 of 4,019
Shame on the Z there is not the option of an automatic shut off function after 24 hours to save battery like the X1060 had, only problem the X had if you did not listen to it within 24 hours after that it would wipe the memory of the last song being played which was annoying. 

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #1,468 of 4,019

Quote:
Shame on the Z there is not the option of an automatic shut off function after 24 hours to save battery like the X1060 had, only problem the X had if you did not listen to it within 24 hours after that it would wipe the memory of the last song being played which was annoying. 

Well, the Z is android, they don't have full control over it.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #1,469 of 4,019

Quote:

Spot on with the recordings have to be a good quality to start with. I still only use cd's so a lot of the time I buy Japanese cd pressings if I can as they sound so much better to pressings i would get here in the UK with EU cd's (for exception of German pressed cd's).

Fleetwood Rumours remastered and The Dance live album sound awesome on the Z, Rodrigo y Gabriela are good quality recordings that make those fast string work come to life. 

Dire Straits the first album on the Z is up there in terms of the what you can squeeze out of the Z. 

Could go on, Joe Bonamassa, Muse, Tori Amos, Lissie,  Black Keys, Arcade Fire, Lana Del Ray, Fllorence & Machines, Unkle, Vintage trouble are ones that are making my Z rock at the moment. 

I was going to reply with the exact same comment.  With good materials and a custom IEM, it is worth it with lossless files.  I was like everyone else and was pretty satisfied with my A867 playing 320kbs MP3 until I discovered that my A walkman is able play ATRAC Lossless.  With my A867 playing good lossless materials + JH13pro, I'm a very happy camper!  

The reason I prefer lossless over 320kbps is that the image is noticably more solid, bass reaches lower, and slightly lusher midrange.  Of course, it isn't a night and day difference but during a critical listening, the improvements are really worthwhile for me.  Luckily I have nearly 60 GB of storage to work with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back