NEW Sony Walkman Z Series mini review!!!
Apr 22, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #1,396 of 4,019
This is my first (Sony) one... but the thought has definitely crossed my mind... even went out and purchased a new soldering station. I'm in love with the "Toxic Cables" wire, and have mulled around the idea of purchasing a few hundred feet of it to make LODs, IEM and Headphone cables.

On a side note... does everyone else's "motion/movie" ads on the right of their browser window 'AutoStart'?  It's freak'n annoying!

Quote:

ever thought of making & selling Walkman LOD's ?

Apr 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #1,397 of 4,019
Quote:
This is my first (Sony) one... but the thought has definitely crossed my mind... even went out and purchased a new soldering station. I'm in love with the "Toxic Cables" wire, and have mulled around the idea of purchasing a few hundred feet of it to make LODs, IEM and Headphone cables.

Is there any difference in SQ between the custom and Fiio LOD...or too early to tell?

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #1,398 of 4,019
Finished it really early in the morning... have not had a chance to listen beyond a quick 30 seconds or so.
Quote:
Is there any difference in SQ between the custom and Fiio LOD...or too early to tell?

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #1,399 of 4,019
I have that one... not all that impressive.... I ended up building a better one...  The pic below is of that iBasso LOD and the Toxic Wires IEM cable I built for the TF10... look at the strand count alone....

Here is a Quad braid of Toxic Cables for iPod, but I didn't get a chance to finish it (so it still looks a little rough).  I'll probably get around to it, then sell it.

Quote:

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #1,400 of 4,019
Does anyone know how to increase the battery efficiency on the player?  My battery seems to drain quite fast!

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #1,401 of 4,019

Quote:
as Turocks said.... why bother looking at something without even testing it ?..... as for it's size, personally I love it as my big ole hands can operate it easy and yes I agree its annoying that there are no physical buttons on the side but this is not a deal-breaker imo as the sound the WM-Z produces in only bettered by a couple of DAPS that cost twice the price.

You really should of listened to the WM-Z and if I may make a suggestion, invest in some alcohol-wipes that way you can clean 'the buds' before inserting them in your ears, saves on wasted trips..... most of us bought our WM-Z without listening to it, why not join the happy crew and buy one, you know you wanna.

I was predisposed to not buy it because my MP3 collection is 36G right now- and always growing- and the Z1060 has only 27G of capacity. I want to carry my whole music library around with me.

Regarding capacity, I think I really want the 64G model but that's because my MP3's are ripped at 320k. If you were me, would you compress them to 256k to cram them into the Z1060? Would I notice any loss of fidelity?

(Yes, I want a Z1060/1070)

I liked the size for handling the device, too, but for something that I was/am considering carrying around on daytrips while taking public transportation, it's pretty big.

I still think it should've had play/forward/back buttons on the side, esp since they could've been pretty big given that the Z series is so thick. It's not a deal breaker for me but definitely an oversight on Sony's part, regardless of what they have on their Walkman phones.

I can always go back to the Sony Store to listen to the Z. The store is only appx 15 miles from my house and they had like 4 of them on display. Not a big deal, guys.

I hold out some hope that Sony will sell the Z1070 in the USA. I asked the sales attendant if Sony was going to and he said "maybe this Summer." That's by no means a definitive answer but I like to think Sony might decide to sell it here to compete with the Ipod Touch 64G. :)

Quote:
Does anyone know how to increase the battery efficiency on the player?  My battery seems to drain quite fast!

Minimize the screen brightness or set it to "automatic". Set the screen to turn off as soon as possible- settings>display>screen timeout. Do anything to prevent the screen from consuming so much energy, unless you're web browsing/playing games in which case you'll have to live with it.

I noticed that my A865 also drained its battery pretty quickly but I attributed that to the power-hungry amplifier and thus accepted it given the SQ it produced.

My suggestion is that you accept the battery life for what it is as as quality-before-quantity compromise. Of course, the Ipod Touch has a longer battery life but probably an inferior amp and certainly a smaller screen.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #1,402 of 4,019

Minimize the screen brightness or set it to "automatic". Set the screen to turn off as soon as possible- settings>display>screen timeout. Do anything to prevent the screen from consuming so much energy, unless you're web browsing/playing games in which case you'll have to live with it.

I noticed that my A865 also drained its battery pretty quickly but I attributed that to the power-hungry amplifier and thus accepted it given the SQ it produced.

My suggestion is that you accept the battery life for what it is as as quality-before-quantity compromise. Of course, the Ipod Touch has a longer battery life but probably an inferior amp and certainly a smaller screen.

thanks for this advice, shall try it out now.  I think scrobbling also takes down the battery too so may switch the wifi off for that.  I'm beginning to really enjoy the fullness of sound this player has with line out - it sounds great with poweramp!  After trying neutron, powerplay and winamp....I think the poweramp comes out the best

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #1,403 of 4,019

Quote:

I hold out some hope that Sony will sell the Z1070 in the USA. I asked the sales attendant if Sony was going to and he said "maybe this Summer." That's by no means a definitive answer but I like to think Sony might decide to sell it here to compete with the Ipod Touch 64G. :)

I wish that as well, but I doubt that Sony really care about us any more.  If they make a sound business decision and match the size of iPod touch, add back & front camera, I don't see why they can't compete head-on with the iPod touch.  The andriod is pretty darn solid platform.

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #1,405 of 4,019

Quote:

I've been very lucky selling my two WM-Z's to two terrific buyers (Yann & Fortis) dealing with both was straight forward & easy.....
beerchug.gif

Sometimes a sale becomes a lil more meaningful and so it was with Fortis, I had a few probs with my Z1070 (my probs not the Z's) but managed to get some decent tunes on it before I sent it to Fortis, I didn't get to put all of the Albums on that I said I would so I sent the actual CD's along with the WM-Z.... today I received my Albums back along with a humongously duct taped 'emergency music' CD spindle filled with music..... sorry Fortis but it's one of those rainy-days & Christmas really is too far off so the duct tape has been ripped to shreds and all warnings have been eschewed and am now nosing through 25+ CD's..... this has been all the more pleasurable because a Album I'd been waiting on also arrived via Mr Postie today (Raphael Saadiq - The Way I See It) and has been keeping me entertained why I decide on what to listen to next.... I love investigating music.

for a Spuds fan Fortis has proved to be great guy to deal with..... cheers for everything
beerchug.gif

Finally got rid off the dreaded sinus infection that was keeping me away from the screen all last week, thought I would try sonic pulse blasting at level 25 on the Z1070 & Z1000 to disperse the muck stuck up there.... but to no avail! 
L3000.gif

I've been lucky I had a seller that was straight forward and easy to deal with ; ) 
Glad the cd's reached you fine, got a bit carried away once started going through collection! hope there was something other than The Civil Wars that took your fancy.

The Z is not you, the Japanese model is just not meant to run smoothly in conjunction with the UK O/S. 
Will be looking at just having to use Atrac lossles and paste the album art individually for every track on an album!!
Unless anyone has cracked a way to transfer WAV from WMP with artist, album and album art transferring across I am all ears.......

I remembered I used to use DBpower amp media player when I used to have the older A818 & A829 Walkmans when I used AAC files for them - that was before I got the X1060 & JH16's and then AAC did not cut it.
 Might reload it and play around with flac before I start to go ahead with uploading 64gb of music to the player next week. 

How is your other Z order going? 

I found the Poweramp player to be rather deceiving to the stock player as on initial listening only through my MDR-Z1000's cans at the moment the P/amp sounds more lively/ dynamic to the stock but after prolonged listening I realised P/amo was missing out on the finesse and openness of the stock player, the soundstage is amazing and the steering from left to right is done very well with the stock player.

P/amp does also have a lower range as my slightly  bass light MDR-Z1000's go that much lower than with the stock player and can even make my Z1000's rumble when he right sub bass note come in, but it is not the best controlled in the lower range on P/amp I have heard and reverting back to the stock player it does then seem my MDR-Z1000's are not going low enough in he sub bass range with tracks I know it should but then the stock is...... stop, yes it is like been in an opera hall with the width and expansion of sound coming around enveloping the listener which gives all the instruments plenty of space to breath between each other which in turn makes accuracy of where they are on stage that much easier to pick them out. 

I found after a while the P/amp player was actually a little narrow, perhaps fatiguing to listen to. Luckily there is enough headroom with the stock player I can listen to my Z1000's okay so do not feel I need the extra headroom the P/amp brings. It still is enjoyable to listen to the P/amp as I am been fairly critical and maybe splitting hairs  but cannot feel there is some tweaking in the EQ already with P/amp even though it is set to flat on the EQ setting's. 

I think the stock player sounds the more natural with the P/amp been there for some more "fun" let's rock mood session for some material that is in my collection. 

Real test will be when I get my JH16's back from refit hopefully mid next week that is when I will do some real testing with the Z. 

Gutted to find the Z does not dock properly on my  CPF-NW001 2.1 speaker dock because Sony again had the lack of for sight in designing the Z along the bottom with it's recessed WMport so it cannot dock. Great thinking Sony. 

Also updated to 1.21 even though improvements are stated it does not breakdown stability issues that are fixed. 

I do notice though when music is playing (has happened with both stock & P/amp) but screen is off in lock mode every so often it will display the lock screen for a brief second or two then switch off, It will do this pattern three times then not do it again for a long time if at all. Really annoying when trying to listen late at night in bed when the lights are turned off.
 Is this a bug anyone? 

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #1,406 of 4,019
Actually did more tests with the players and the playerpro is very good too!  It sounds better flat with no eq and the bass is better than poweramp...

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #1,407 of 4,019

Quote:

I still think it should've had play/forward/back buttons on the side, esp since they could've been pretty big given that the Z series is so thick. It's not a deal breaker for me but definitely an oversight on Sony's part, regardless of what they have on their Walkman phones.

.I noticed that my A865 also drained its battery pretty quickly but I attributed that to the power-hungry amplifier and thus accepted it given the SQ it produced.

My suggestion is that you accept the battery life for what it is as as quality-before-quantity compromise.

Here, here!

Talked about a few times before the hard buttons for playback (mainly by me! moan moan) but I will second that motion and beat Sony round the head with that one all day long. 

Battery agree with now I have heard the extra power this Z1070 has to my X1060 in terms of driving my Z1000 cans that much better but they still need to up the game on the next gen Z with the battery stamina just for music playback. 

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #1,408 of 4,019

Quote:
Actually did more tests with the players and the playerpro is very good too!  It sounds better flat with no eq and the bass is better than poweramp...

Going to give that a try this week, thank you...... ; )

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #1,409 of 4,019
Anyone here using a Mac to convert lossless to 320kbps?  What are your settings?  Every once in a while... I get a weird 'pop' or something on my MP3 and don't know why.  I used to convert from my NAS to my Mac... and figured it was network drop out (though a full 1GBit network should be sufficient).  So, I started copying the folders locally before converting.  Still getting it every now and then.  I've not consciously restarted the Mac before starting the conversion, but I figure running 8GB ram and a Hybrid HDD should be sufficient.  Ideas?

Note: I'm using XLD for the conversion process.

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:37 PM Post #1,410 of 4,019

Quote:

thanks for this advice, shall try it out now.  I think scrobbling also takes down the battery too so may switch the wifi off for that.  I'm beginning to really enjoy the fullness of sound this player has with line out - it sounds great with poweramp!  After trying neutron, powerplay and winamp....I think the poweramp comes out the best

I assume you're not that familiar with the Android OS, and understandably so as it is feature-rich and presents a learning curve.

While there is much you can't control with your Droid device, your screen and your Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS antennas are the power consumers which you can manage.

I don't know if you have the power antenna widget on your screen, but I highly suggest it. Yours will look something like this:

Of course, you want as few of those icons as possible to be illuminated at any given time. :)

To use this or any widget, just press and hold your finger on the home screen, i.e. "long-press." This will give you a pop-up window. Try this and many of the other widgets as you can remove them from your home screen easily.

Another widget I like is battery power gauge widget by Tomas Hubalek. Much better than the little battery icon at the top of the screen.

An app I like is Fast Reboot. That one stops and restarts many processes and it's addicting- just press the button and be gratified! My kinda app.

Another thing you can do is manage your auto-end list, which closes an app after it's been running and unused for several minutes. Go to your apps>task manager and check any app. You'll be presented with the option of adding to your auto-end list. I've put nearly any app I can on auto-end without making my phone useless.

Using both Fast Reboot and Auto-End is somewhat redundant but harmless.

There are probably more ways to increase battery life but those are some good ones.

Other good apps include Dolphin Web Browser (awesome), TrustGo Security and Avast Security.

Quote:

I wish that as well, but I doubt that Sony really care about us any more.  If they make a sound business decision and match the size of iPod touch, add back & front camera, I don't see why they can't compete head-on with the iPod touch.  The andriod is pretty darn solid platform.

Yeah, but a smaller device would mean a smaller screen and that 3.5" screen is something even the Apple people, as I call them, don't like.

I would rather it be about the width and length of my Droid X2 so it presents a big, satisfying 4.3" screen, its buttons and nearly nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back